What's new

has anyone tried The Super Spreader?

BubbaBear

The Super Spreader is a v-shaped perforated metal plate that fits below horizontally mounted HID lamps , it reflects excess light and heat away from the "hot spot" and produces a more uniform light footprint.

l currently have a cooltube and thought it may help create a better light footprint. l figured the last thing you want to do is block light from reaching your plants but my cooltube has a bad hot spot and light footprint so l figured this may help.....has anyone tried the super spreader? :chin:

icdog

I have some from another guy, they somewhat work but I found that they focus the light at the edges and it burns some of the plants on the sides of the grow.

BubbaBear

icdog...would you recommend using one, do you think you could get it dialed in better so there is no plant burn?

G

Psychobabble used it successfully in a grow posted at OG. It was one of my favorite threads. He pulled one pound off a 400 watt light with 16 Aurora Indica plants. No CO2.

He used that to keep the light close to the plants without burning them, it diffused the heat without having to have an air cooled hood. There is a hot spot right under the bulb. He was doing a 16 bucket hand watered sog in a grow tent. Beautiful thread, super simple, nice to see a master grower. There are a few pics at PG of it and his Durga Mata grow. He won't come here because of shenanigans and it's a shame. But I understand.

I don't miss all the high school kids, but so many great grow threads were lost at OG. *sigh*

Last edited:
G

awesome maybee i will give one a try...looked funky though..but hell i will try anything once

BubbaBear

it's kinda spendy for a lil piece of metal but l think l might get one....l think it may help my cool tube shoot a wider footprint

icdog

BubbaBear said:
icdog...would you recommend using one, do you think you could get it dialed in better so there is no plant burn?

Well it depends, the ones i tried are from the guy who made adjust a wing reflectors. They seem a quality product.
The spreader does block the light from directly under the bulb and it is cooler so you can lower the light.
The reflected light is spread to each side, this is problem I had, this reflected light is pretty intense and seemed to burn the plants on each side, not just one side so it wasn't a one off case, it was both and it happened everytime I tried the spreader.

Try a search for the adjustawings website and the guy who makes them describes how he says to use them. He says you can lower your amount of watts by spreading the light and using less lights, I'd say not really.

BubbaBear

right on dude, thanks for the info....im not trying to get my light closer just trying to get rid of the hot spot my cool tube produces so maybe it will work for that im gonna throw one on one of my two lights and give it a shot.

gertrude420

Ya I have seen the adjust a wings as well and they sound like a worthy investment.... its a batwing reflector and then the the spreader... looks to be a real even canopy producer , that can be nice and close to the plants.... Excpect you can't air cool them if you wanted to ...

G

actually it seems if you had some metal a drill bit and the dimensions of that one...you could easily fabricate it

Brastaman

the spreader that diffuses light would be difficult to replicate on your own unless there is access to the proper tools. The holes in the spreader are actually calculated and the cut at precise angles to allow proper distribution of light among the canopy of the garden.
I have friends that experimented with the adjust a wing and spreader for multiple harvests. The main problem we all had was trying to properly adjust the reflector wing and spreader. There were formulas and suggestions in the directions that said for effiecient use that the spreader had to be a certain distance and angle setting. This was the case for the adjust a wing also. Too much trouble for what it promoted.
The main reason these things are so expensive is the shipping from there location. Why? I dunno. That is what the representative proposed as the reason why the high cost was being passed on to the consumer.

mrgrowmez

so can you use the spreader with a normal reflector? or is it only really effeective when used with the adjuster wing reflectors?
thank
MR.G

G

well in my humble opinion its like nike air or dumbos feather...if you believe who am i to judge you

gertrude420

mhhh sounds like somebodys gotta try ehm out themselves and find out on your own... lol... i might pick one up and fool around with it at some point....

Sauce

unicorn said:
actually it seems if you had some metal a drill bit and the dimensions of that one...you could easily fabricate it

Yeah agreed. Get some highly reflective metal and rig up some kind of clamp.

I've never used one or even seen one so take this as you may, but I personally think an air cooled hood is the best way to go. Better footprint and reflectivity than a cool tube and you would still probably be able to get it closer to the plants than this hunk of metal in front of the bulb.

Also closer isn't always better, you should have the light high enough to properly light the entire footprint of your grow space. I can get a cool tube almost right next to the plants but that will shade other areas of the cab.

HiKing808

im not certain and someone can check this for me but i think nbg used this in his 400w +lb grow
not saying that it was the reason he pulled such incredible weight, but at least you know reputable growers are using it and still getting great results.

Latest posts

Latest posts