What's new

Digi ballasts - RF interference, anyone?

CptRFBurton

i'm running one 600, and a 600/400 dual spectrum, all Lumatek distributed by Humboldt wholesale through local grow store. The problem: i bought these six months ago when i started growing again, then i bought and subsequently returned, a number of pH testers which all gave unstable readings, and finally ended up with Bluelab's Truncheon which sorta gave repeatable pH results, but only in my veg/mother room which runs on t5's. I couldn't get good pH readings in the flower room no matter what.

During a change-out, when both lights were off, i tried a pH reading just for the hell of it, and holy shit the meter worked flawlessly - locking on in 5 seconds, when it usually reads all over the scale. I turned the lights on, and the readings flipped out. Turned the light off again, and the readings stabilized. Through experimenting with different combinations of ballasts running, i determined that one 600 fills the room with interference, one 600 interferes with about half the room, and the 400 only interferes inside a radius of 2'.

The potential for this RF interefence problem had occurred to me back when i was having all the pH meter problems. I talked with the distributor, and was told "we've sold 3000 of these, and you're the only one who's complained...". The grow store told me i was imagining this, and to "stop drinking so much espresso". So for 6 months i've been using the colorimetric pH dropper business on the two 40 gal. flower systems with predictably shitty results (0.7 gram/watt). I got the local store employee to stop by my grow to witness the interference for himself, then had him call the distributor, and was told i could swap the ballasts (when they get stock in). My questions:

1. The two 600's have no ground wire in the lamp cord, the 400 watter does have a ground wire. Does that mean the 600s' cords are unshielded?

2. Anyone else have this experience?

Just remember - when someone tells you "...you're the only one who's..." that's doesn't mean you are wrong.

G

Makes sense to me. Digital ballast and even floro tubes throw off lots of RF on harmonics very close to the frequency of many integrated circuits. this is why ethernet cable shouldn't be next to any lights and is installed in metal conduit.

G

oh yea,, haha and if you ground it.. your problem will go away. I am surprised it isnt grounded, the ground is the most vital part of the three wires in any high powered device.

MTF-Sandman

OG Refugee
Veteran
The interference comes from non shielded cables, not the grounding...this problem is known as has been fixed in most newer digi's.

CptRFBurton

Thanks for the replies, and i agree the source is likely unshielded high voltage conductors.

I was told by the distributor the ballasts have shielded cordsets, but the two 600's have no ground wires on the lamp end. Does anyone know if it's possible that the cords are shielded?, or is smoke being blown here? Thanks again.

stonewall

The interference is caused by the high freguency output of the digital ballast. It is the ballast to bulb cord that needs to be sheilded. Having any unsheilded cord from the ballast to the bulb will cause interference, even just a few inches. Shielding and grounding are not the same thing, the ballast and reflector should always be grounded properly.

CptRFBurton

thank you stonewall, for clearing up my idea that grounding and sheilding were related. Apparently, the distributor is a lying assclown.

Dreamscape

anyone else get "illegal URL" from cough cough's link ??

It says either the url is mispelled or it could be "someone posting a link to site you think you can trust" LOL

Then I typed in "www.breed bay.com" (no space) and got "cannot connect to remote server" ...

hmm...

Last edited:
Great topic!
Yes, a ballast, or practically anything electronic can throw-off ton's of RF.
It usually only becomes aparent when the offending device..( I'd say it's safe to assume the ballast-to-reflector cord is suspect..) is of an electical wave-length, (or multiple/fraction of), the appliance being interfered with..
If Your power cord was a foot shorter/longer, this might not even be an issue..
Funny how electricity works..
These days, with the influx of cheaply made Chinese goods, the FCC, can barely keep-up with testing these devices for RF interference, so They just slap a "Must accept interference" sticker on most new stuff...

But what do I know...?

Martha S.