What's new

Fox tails?

zoidb3rg

Anybody know what causes them? is it generally a strain trait or is it environmental conditions?, just wondered, but hey im stoned ^^

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
Im having major foxtail action right now, apparently its from high heat, which makes sense for me because my room temps are in the 80s right now due to the heat wave.

i was thinking about buying a portable AC.

another thing i noticed was that only my top colas are foxtailing, maybe perhaps they are under heat stress from being too close to the lights. my mid level buds are all nice and round with no foxtailing.

I can second that. I had a plant with a funky ass fox tail, only on the cola closest to the light. and temps were low-mid 80s.

Foxtailing can be attributed to both environmental and genetic factors. Indeed, high temperatures in the canopy will cause foxtailing and create "airy" buds but some strains will foxtail on their own despite temperatures.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i asked this question in the infirmary and the above is true,

also light leaks and excess nitrogen in flowering will encourage them.

Maj.PotHead

End Cannibis Prohibition Now Realize Legalize !!
Mentor
Veteran
unsure what ya'll r/grown but what i do dosent foxtail and cause airy buds because of mid to upper 80's in temps i have them temps all the time.

just nice dense nugs must be some other factor causing your foxtailed airy buds

My Jack Herer x White Rhino foxtails a bit. I've seen the trait repeatedly and I would say in my case it is due to sativa influence in the different strains. I don't see it as an indication of heat stress (even if it may be), as the bud generally ends up being mind-melting.

I usually grow very sativa dominant hybrids such as kali mist or jack herer. (The few landrace sativas I did grow, foxtailed heavily.)

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Kali mist no heat issues here I had 3 this is the only one that foxtailed
picture.php