What's new

Explaining electric use, you do that?

Red Fang

Veteran
I have seen a lot of comments in threads where someone says a hot tub or kiln explains high electric use. This makes me wonder, do they really call or come just to find out how you are using your electricity? And if so, you have to answer them? Why can't you just say none of your damn business. SO I am just wondering why people suggest you would NEED TO explain your electric use.

Red Fang

Veteran
So have you been in the situation where you have to explain electric use? And how much do you have to use in order to be asked that? I heard 1,000 W per bedroom, so if for example someone has a small house with 2 small and one average sized (for a total of 3) bedrooms, you could use 3,000 W of lamps? Or 3,000 W total grow useage? Or 3,000 W total consumption for everything?

W

Wariat

I dont see why small scale growers even bother about electric usage. Buy 2 old computers, and portable AC, and viola - you have explanation for 2000W.
There is so many things that can explain your bill..

Red Fang

Veteran
The point is are people actually asked to explain their bill? If so why can't you just say nothing? Why should, and do, you need to explain your usage? That could be used for anything, what gives them the right to presume you guilty until proven innocent, when it is supposed to be the other way around?

littlebud

pay your bill...3000watts is not shit...they dont ask why you use so much they dont ask shit..pay your bill on time and if you dont have the nutts to grow..dont do it because it is stressfull as hell if you are the paranoid type or not

L

Lord Humungus

pay your bill...3000watts is not shit...they dont ask why you use so much they dont ask shit..pay your bill on time and if you dont have the nutts to grow..dont do it because it is stressfull as hell if you are the paranoid type or not

littlebud is right on
pg&e cashes the checks and lites the lights easy as pie

I say always have an alibi or excuse for every damned thing you do. be as careful as possible about security matters. But, then don't worry about it. Keeping paranoid gets old and doesn't help, anyway.

Red Fang

Veteran
thanks pray4pistils, that was helpful. all the posts were. My question is why do people even bring up that they have a hot tub as an excuse if they don't go around offering up info (which of course would be stupid), and I think pray4pistils answered that, having an alibi just in case.

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
I have actually had electric company ask questions regarding my electrical use, and it was indeed a situation where I needed to explain what was going on.

I've lived in two houses that were in poor condition, and had no central heat and air. As a result, I was running 5 space heaters or 5 large window A/Cs, depending on the season. Plus 'normal' use, which can be high on it's own with 6+ people living in the home. And about 1800w for grow, natch :D

After multiple $600+ bills (at a .05/kwh rate :yoinks:), the electrical company sent someone out. They knocked on the door and explained they were there to check the lines to make sure there was not a problem with the wiring that was causing excess usage, or, as they put it, a power leak.

I explained about the space heaters, and they immediately commiserated, stating that would indeed explain the situation.

They left without any issues.

Keep in mind though, this was very high usage. Even with higher rates now, I could run 4kw 24 hours a day (4kw flipped for 8kw flowering) for under $250. For $600, I could be running 10kw+ 24 hours a day, meaning I could flip for a total of 20kw flowering :yoinks:

So it does happen, but it takes some SERIOUS wattage to draw that kind of attention.

I always chuckle at the folks freaking out about the idea of running a 1kw for fear of electrical usage :biglaugh:

B. Friendly

"IBIUBU" Sayeith the Dude
Veteran
that's why i like flips because you're constant. and if veg is on 24/7 there is no cycle.
I have heard that here in BC it is 93kw they are looking for on your usage as the high mark.