What's new

DIY: Yet Another Carbon Scrubber (Unedited)

C6H6

Controlling oder is a must for any grower so as to not arouse suspicion. Ive tried many many different things to control the oder generated by these lovely plants and while some ideas work others fell short. ONA was the best at masking the smell and I figured I could live in a house that smelled constantly like Fresh linin but after about three days the stuff really starts to get to you. So once again I set about the task of finding my “ideal” carbon scrubber.
The other carbon scrubbers ive seen floating around are fabulous but for my particular application I wanted something, small, orientiable and cheap. Being able to position the scrubber is very important to me I wanted to be able to place it in even the smallest of spaces and have it work in a variety of locations. And a small scrubber would allow me to set it up relatively fast. My quest to design my ideal carbon scrubber lead me to some rather unique and odd designs some worked some didn’t but I keept on pluggin away. What I have made as of late is by far the easies, cheapes and most effective and so ive decided to share it rather than keep it to myself maybe its been done maybe it hasn’t but without further adue id like to present yet another carbon scrubber

Materials list- all items are available at local hardware stores.
1 cheap bathroom fan – do yourself a favor Open the box at the store make sure it’s go a similar design to the one pictured.
Roll of aluminum mesh
3inch round drain plug
2 C clamps the 3-4 inch ones work the best
1 electrical plug (either 2 prong or three prong will work your choice)
And some activated carbon, the kind that is in a sheet.
Extention cord to power it.

This is the Bathroom fan that im using, it’s a 50 CFM bathroom fan the construction is pretty strait forward and picures will tell the tale for the most part so here we to
DSC04499.jpg

Opening up the unit you got this notice on the second picture the black plastic exhaust piece this is what you want make sure before you buy!
DSC04500.jpg

DSC04501.jpg

Gently pry these metal tabs to loosen the fan from the rest of the housing
DSC04504.jpg

DSC04503.jpg

Be gental try not to bend the metal too much, simply pry out with a flat head screwdriver loosen one side and youll be able to pull the rest out no need to deform both sides
DSC04506.jpg

Fan separated from housing
DSC04508.jpg

In the corner there are two more tabs simply use your screwdriver and push
down on both sides and a small metal piece will fall out this is the power connection. Three wires, green, white and black. I only use two of the wires, the white and black, I personally see no need for the unit to be grounded but you may if you so choose just make sure you buy the rite plug.
DSC04510.jpg

DSC04511.jpg

Put the wires through the hole and reattach the small bracket simply slide it into place
DSC04512.jpg

Twist the wires (not together) and make a Hook to attach the plug to
DSC04515.jpg

DSC04517.jpg

Same thing for black wire
DSC04518.jpg

DSC04519.jpg

Now that your all powered up time to make the filter. I used a roll of aluminium mesh and cut it into strips about 12 inches long and 6 inches wide then I folded back the edges of the short side to securely place the carbon. I cut the carbon into sheets that are 4 inches wide by 11 inches long then place them inside the fold and pinch the mesh that way the carbon is attached somewhat securely to the mesh. I also cut a small square and place it in on the drain cap. This way there is carbon at every possible exit and maximum filtration.
DSC04522.jpg

DSC04523.jpg

DSC04524.jpg

DSC04525.jpg

I havn’t mentionded it but it should go without saying wear gloves, the edges of the wire mesh are sharp and there is really no excuse to draw blood when there is a perfectly easy way to avoid it. Don’t be stupid.
Now wrap the wire mesh with the carbon around the drain and use one of the C clamps to tighten it up. I line up the end of the mesh with the end of the drain that way there is overlapping carbon so no air will excape un scrubbed.
DSC04526.jpg

Now simply use the last clamp and secure it to the bathroom fan you’ll have to play with the wire a little because the filter cap is 3 inch diameter and the part sticking out from the fan is about 2.5 inches so it wont line up exactly. The end of the filter will flare out a little due to difference in diameter but it will stull function
DSC04527.jpg

That all, now to place it where its needed and wait. I use the plastic screens that they provided with the unit so as to avoid anything but air from hitting the fans such a plant top. With the screen on they can be placed anywhere even on the ground, or propped up against something. I used the mounting holes provided and some string to position them how I wanted above the canopy in my grow area and now there is no smell what so ever. because they were relatively cheap to make I can make a whole mess of em to ensure that my home doesn’t smell like herb. currently im running three in my flower and one in vegg with no problems or oder

DSC04529.jpg

DSC04530.jpg

DSC04531.jpg

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
That is a nice small unit, you are blowing through, is that correct? Another way would be to put a filter sandwich over the intake, and pull through. Good project.
H

trademanny

I'm not trying to be a dreamcrusher or anything, but I don't understand what these setups are actually doing for you. They intake and exhaust air in the same space, from what I can tell (unless I'm looking at your pictures wrong) -- what benefit is that? :confused:

maryj315

Maybe because the grow is small it works if he had a bigger grow i am sure he would dump it in another room

That is a clean looking diy

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
That is a nice, clean DIY.

IMO, there is not enough filtering material to do you much good. I realize that these are recirc scrubbers, but they just do not have much to take odors away from the air.

Could you cut a bunch of circles of the carbon material, and fill the tube with them? That would allow the air to see carbon for possibly long enough to capture the odor. Recircing past the medium several times may indeed lessen the smell, but all carbon medium has a point that it reaches where it is ineffective, even when used effectively.

C6H6

globel said:
its called a scrubber.. Sealed rooms use them.
rite on the money, my grow is small enough that putting the fans in close proximity to the plant seems to work. my closet stay closed during the day and open at night and so far ive seen no adverse effects.

hoosierdaddy said:
Could you cut a bunch of circles of the carbon material, and fill the tube with them? That would allow the air to see carbon for possibly long enough to capture the odor. Recircing past the medium several times may indeed lessen the smell, but all carbon medium has a point that it reaches where it is ineffective, even when used effectively.

yes definitely have enough material and will definitely try that.

maryj315

Well after doing a little searching i found you can just scrub the air in a sealed room even on a bigger scale

Got to love the advanced search makes searching so much more efficient

Like i said before clean ass diy

Have a good day :rasta: