What's new

Companion plants

hello all,

i'm putting together my veggie garden adjacent to the medi garden. wondering if anyone has suggestions for companion plants. like many i prefer to keep edible plants in the garden, but floral companion plants are welcome too.

here is a list of the seed that i have now:

marigold, several varieties of onions, a couple varieties of carrots, a couple varieties of borage, a couple varieties of sunflower and corn (more for wind blocking, but i imagine they will also attract beneficials)

likely going to acquire some nasturium, geraniums, alfalfa, and yarrow.

here is a decent list of companion plants and their effects (and thus where in your garden to plant them).

http://www.ghorganics.com/page2.html

just wondering if anyone has input as to which companion plants worked for them, which didn't, and if they have experience with a companion plant that not many folks know about.

M

MrSterling

Much of companion planting is folklore and old-wives tales. People don't like to hear it, but it's true. That said, there's a lot of really good companion planting that can be found. Borage is one of the best from what I've read, sunflower is effective for drawing I believe aphids and pests away from cucumbers, and marigolds are effective if tilled in several seasons in a row(Make sure you have actual marigold and not 'pot marigold' which is unrelated). Nasturtium is another good one. Four o'clocks, Larkspur and lupine will all attract bug such as the Japanese beetle - and then it kills their ass.

djonkoman

Veteran
I once found an interesting little book about companionplants printed around 1970 or so, according to that(and also a few sources online) hemp/cannabis worls to keep those white butterflies(no idea how they're called in english) from laying their eggs on your cabbage/brocolli/etc

rosalind

hello all,

i'm putting together my veggie garden adjacent to the medi garden. wondering if anyone has suggestions for companion plants. like many i prefer to keep edible plants in the garden, but floral companion plants are welcome too.

here is a list of the seed that i have now:

marigold, several varieties of onions, a couple varieties of carrots, a couple varieties of borage, a couple varieties of sunflower and corn (more for wind blocking, but i imagine they will also attract beneficials)

likely going to acquire some nasturium, geraniums, alfalfa, and yarrow.

here is a decent list of companion plants and their effects (and thus where in your garden to plant them).

http://www.ghorganics.com/page2.html

just wondering if anyone has input as to which companion plants worked for them, which didn't, and if they have experience with a companion plant that not many folks know about.

Even I have some of Companion plants in my garden. I have herbs as Companion plants because it is best Companion plants. They are helpful for fruits and vegetables to grow. Some of the Companion plants are Angelica, Borage, Chamomile, Chervil and Chives.

G.O. Joe

Veteran
Nicotiana is deadly to many that sample it. Its leaf extract was the original industrial-scale insecticide.

herbalistRoots

A couple good books worth mentioning on companion planting.

Riotte, Louise. Carrots Love Tomatoes. Vermont: Storey Books, 1998.

Flowerdew, Bob. Bob Flowerdew's Complete Book of Companion Gardening. London: Kyle Cathie Limited, 2001.

Latest posts

Latest posts