What's new

400W HPS How close do you place it?

anarchitect

Just picked up a 400W hps, and I'm wondering how close to put it to my canopy.
Temps are averaging around 85def F. w/ the light at around 24 inches from the tops. I know that's a little high, but it's the best I can do for now. Can I bring the light closer if I can keep the temps under 90?
Thanks in advance for all the usefull information!
Peace.
Anarchitect

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
You should do something about your temps first. Run your fan through the duct hole in the reflector if it has one, blowing it out some four inch to ANYWHERE else :D You should be able to get it within 18 inches but if you are not budding, I wouldn't worry too much about it till you get your heat regulated. Plants grow extremely slow and shitty over 90 and under 50. I tell ya what, the winter is probably the best time to do it if you live in TX. An AC unit as an intake is a popular solution but not practical for a closet or small yeild grow. I started with a 400 hps it's a good learning tool. I pulled about nine ounces if I remember correctly, then I sold it for more lighting :D Temps are key indoors, they regulate everything trust me.

anarchitect

Thanks Mr. Mustard! The main issue w/temps is that it's in an attic, and the ambient temps are high. Let me ask you this -
Could I take a window a/c unit, set it on a small table and duct the cool air into the enclosed grow area, and let the back side of the a/c unit (part that's usually outside) just blow into the attic? OR Do I HAVE to use one of those "stand alone" units that I see so often here and at that other "slower" web site?
She's already budding, by-the-way.
Thanks again!

bartender187

Bakin in da Sun
Veteran
2ft not bad.

85 is already a little hot, i mean, marijuana is vigorous plant, it will grow in temps up to 90 degrees... but optimal is somewhere in the mid-upper 70's....

Ide leave the light where it is, if they start to stretch to much lower it a bit. If you get a fan blowin directly above the canopy/below the light.... it would help to keep from gettin stressed.

"Could I take a window a/c unit, set it on a small table and duct the cool air into the enclosed grow area, and let the back side of the a/c unit (part that's usually outside) just blow into the attic? OR Do I HAVE to use one of those "stand alone" units that I see so often here and at that other "slower" web site?"

NO. Those emit toxic fumes, that pollute our air... you wouldnt want them gatherin inside. I think however, they do sell indoor A/C units.
bartender187

Last edited:

anarchitect

Toxic fumes, huh? I had NO IDEA! Thanks for the tip Bartender187. I hated hearing it though. You can pick up a window unit for a HELL of a lot cheaper than the indoor units!
Looks like that's what I'm gonna have to do though.
Thanks again to both of you.
Peace.

anarchitect

Hey Mr. Mustard! Did you mean that I should, like, stick a cold beer on my plant's forehead?
Where's the forehead located?
JK

anarchitect

sorry you're sick. I'll have a couple of cold ones. One for me, and one for mr. mustard. I'm outta here now. Gotta go see about "indoor A/C units"
L8Rs

I.M. Boggled

Certified Bloomin' Idiot
Veteran
"Portable" Air Conditioners versus window units

"Portable" Air Conditioners versus window units

FAQ's from a "Portable Air Conditioner" sales website. Search Google.

1 How is a portable air conditioner different than a window AC?

A portable AC is a small mobile air conditioner unlike a window AC which must be mounted through-the-wall. Furthermore, portable air conditioners do not require permanent installation. All our portable air conditioners are between 29" and 34" tall and weigh between 65 and 80 pounds. Portable air conditioners also work great in apartment situations where a window unit is unacceptable.

2. Is a portable air cooler and a portable air conditioner the same thing?

No they are not the same. Air coolers use water and evaporation to cool much the same way a swamp cooler cools. Only the direct air stream is cooled (10-15 degrees) and generally air coolers cannot cool the ambient air in a room.
Portable Air conditioners use a compressor/Freon to cool and are much more effective in cooling rooms and at keeping the humidity low.

3 Could you explain why and how portable AC's are vented?

Portable air conditioners extract hot air that must be vented.
If the hot air is not vented, the portable air conditioner will not be able to cool a room effectively.
Window and venting kits are always included with our portable air conditioners at no extra cost. You may also vent the portable AC through a wall vent, into the attic or drop ceiling, or even around a door! You are only limited by your creativity.
*** For venting these Portable AC systems through casement windows (windows that crank out), Plexiglas can be used. Simply cut the Plexiglas to the size of the window, cut out a 5" hole to vent the hose, and place this over the open window. not only is the Portable AC vented, but Plexiglas will allow the same amount of light to pass through the window as before.

4 How long is the exhaust hose ?

The exhaust hoses are generally between 5 and 7 feet long and are made of high quality 5" flex hose.

5 How does the window kit work?

The foam window kit simply is cut to fit most any slider or up-down window in your home up to 4 feet. The window is then closed against the foam to seal the air from the outside, the exhaust hose then is fit through a small cutout in the foam. Installation takes about 5 minutes and this allows for easy portability from window to window. For windows larger than 4 feet, simply purchase extra foam at the local hardware store. As mentioned earlier, for unique window situations ( casement (crank-out) windows), a little creativity is all that is needed.

6 Can the exhaust hose be extended?

All the Portable AC's come with the standard hose length of 5-7 feet.
If you need a longer hose, they are readily available at the local hardware store but it is a good idea to avoid hose lengths over 12 feet as well as 90 degree bends. You can also vent through the dryer hose as long as the hose diameter is 5" or more and the outdoor venting flap is removed.

7 Do portable air conditioners collect water?

All portable air conditioners condensate water as they are cooled, this water is then contained in a internal water reservoir...
On all our models, this water reservoir has the auto shutoff feature so that water is never accidentally spilled on the ground. With the unit off, the water is easily emptied into a drip pan. You can also gravity drain the portable AC by connecting a hose to the connection on the reservoir.

8 Are portable AC's energy efficient?
Energy Efficiency Rating (EER) is a standard measure of efficiency for comparing appliances and the cost of operation.

The higher the EER, the more energy efficient the air conditioner.
Any rating of 10 or more is excellent.
Furthermore, by cooling only one room, portable air conditioners can save you considerable on your monthly electric bill. All of the portable air conditioners that we carry operate on 115 Volt/ 60 Hertz (normal household standard).

They generally run on about 7-10 amps and require a regular 3 prong grounded plug found in all homes.

9 Are portable air conditioners used to cool computer server rooms?

This is one of the most common uses of a portable air conditioner! Even in small computer rooms, a 12000 BTU unit should be purchased due to the extra heat produced... :cool:

If one lives in a "dry" locale a "portable Evaporative cooler" (Swamp Cooler) might just do the job handily...a water hose to unit would be required though.

A 400 watt lamp can be run pretty darn close (once heat issues are dealt with) with a linear light mover such as the quality manufactured "Light Rail 3".

I don't believe ac units emit harmful gases until the pressurized freon system becomes compromised i.e. escaping refrigerant (freon).
:cool:

Last edited:

AlexanderS

well, i know i need a fan over top my buds, but the top of the tallest bud right now is 12 inchs away. they look awesome. the temp below the canopy is 78 degrees. im not sure about above because the thermometer is sensitive to the direct light. as i said looking awesome, this shot is from 19 days flowering. and yea, i have alot of air moving, 2 265 blowers exhausting into a 420 cfm vortex blowing into a can carbon filter. and one 700 some odd cfm blower at the intake, tho i am just estimating on this one cause it dosnt exactly say.

G

Any a/c ducts going into the house that are nearby? Other options are cool-tubes, tempered glass for your exisiting hood and some decent exhaust. I had tempered glass on a 400 and I could get < 12" no problem.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts