What's new

Adding Molasses to Chem Ferts?

MedResearcher

Veteran
Like the title says, I am looking for opinions about adding Molasses to a Chemical Based Fertilizer program. Specifically in the later half of flowering.

Many places you can find info about how great adding molasses is, although it seems a lot of the benefits go hand in hand with organics, specifically the beneficial bacterias.

When I add molasses to my rez, it causes PH drift. So I am trying to figure out if its worth the effort of adding it, adjusting PH over and over, compared to the benefit it adds to a chemical based fertilizer program.

Any info, input is welcome.. tks ^^
MR ^^

Dee9

MedResearcher said:
So I am trying to figure out if its worth the effort of adding it...

Hi MedResearcher

Maybe you need to ask the hydro guys. But as far as I know some hydro ppl use it during the last stages of flowering.

Apparently sweetens the taste and gets the chemical taste out.

you will also be adding some Phosphorus, copper and Iron:

Molasses Nutritional Information

Thiamine ( Vit B1 ).........................245mg
Ribofavin (vit B2)...........................240,00mg
Calcium........................................258,00mg
Iron..................................................7,79mg
Biotin (Vit H)....................................16,00mg
Pantothenic Acid (vit B5)....................2,60mg
Pyridoxine (Vit B6)..........................270,00mg
Phosforus........................................30,00mg
Copper..............................................1,93mg
Inositol (Vit B8)...............................150,00mg
Potassium.......................................15,00mg
Niacin (vit B3)...................................4,00mg

I use molasses during flowering as part of my organic hydro setup.

MedResearcher

Veteran
Thanks for the replies guys, wasnt sure if anyone was ever gonna add some input.

Freeradical: Ya thats sort of what I was worried about, that I was pretty much wasting my time, energy, and money. Maybe next cycle ill add molasses to one rez, and leave it out on the other, or even add H2o2 to the other.

Dee9: Heh, I was so close to posting this in the indoor hydro section.... I think my love for CoCo made me put it here. Maybe I will repost it over there.

G

guest5703

I don't think you'd be wastin your time at all, its not useless wtf....UNLESS chem nutrients somehow diminish the molasses??? In that case I'd be wrong but, I have used molasses with my House and Garden line and it seemed to add more sweetness in the smoke, and also made the buds weigh in a little high. I used to use Sweet from botanicare as well, it works the same way IMO. BUT I have noticed since I hand water and mix 1 gallon jugs only, my water sits at last a week and if it's hot that molasses will rot and my jug will smell like shit and mold sometimes too(in that case toss the jug!)

Anyway that's why I have stopped using molasses, but I think molasses has more beneficial things in it VS. sweet so I'd want to run molasses if I could keep my water cool.

Skrappie

I thought the point of using Molasses in ones chemical feeding program was for the carb boost. Any hydro shop sells all types of junk sweeteners that advertise carbo-boost, flavor enhancement. Its all sugar, i would imagine molasses does the same but cheaper.

tejashidrow

The use of molasas started in SOIL growing. Heck my grandmother (rest her soul) used to use molasas in her SECRET fert recipe for her award winnig tomatoes (county fair)
What it does is feed the soil makeing it easyer for the plant to uptake the needed carbos and nutes.
While i would not use it in BAREROOTS hydro.. (just MY experiance) i have used it in soiless and coco hydro with GREAT results.
If you check out most the carbo boosters out there, i am sure the ingrediants contian molasas.
Use BLACKSTRAP, and no more than 5ml per gallon.
I use it all the way through, with the last week, only .25ml per gallon as a final flush.
(someone on OG told me to add that in my final flush water. Works just as good as clearx...)
If you go FULL strenth all the way through you will NOT have a clean burn on your final cured product. Grow well PAX

Last edited:

Moppel

Grower for Life
Veteran
would it usefull to add it to the Biobizz foodschedule (grow, bloom , alga mic, top max)?

supi1012

bio grow and bio bloom are mainly derived from molasses, so i couldn't see any possible benifits in adding more. along with algamic and maybe some guano thats all ull ever need :rasta:

Black Ra1n

Cannaculturist ~OGA~
Veteran
I use molasses to flush for the last 2 weeks in both soil and coco. I also use it during the 2nd week of flowering as a booster with pk 13-14.

B/R

reddy1

ICMag Donor
i use molasses with the fox farm program(organic and chem). to be honest i couldn't tell you if it works or not. i do know it's cheap and nutritious.

i'm using a reservoir-drip-to waste setup that gets cleaned once a week and it gets really really nasty after a 4 days in there. that's with bubblers and a little hydrogen peroxide in the mix. i'm using less and less of it these days and just been just hand-water supplementing it. the plants aren't suffering from not getting extra suger IMO.

Moppel

Grower for Life
Veteran
supi1012 said:
bio grow and bio bloom are mainly derived from molasses, so i couldn't see any possible benifits in adding more. along with algamic and maybe some guano thats all ull ever need :rasta:

No top max? And why guano , isnt there enough P and K in it already?

supi1012

top max would be nice, although not necessary. i use HUMEX and FULVEX with every watering and if im not mistaken top max consists of humic acid, fulvic acid, and kelp. so i get the benefits without having to use it, although i may buy some topmax for testing in the future. have heard good things, and neutral things, nothing bad tho and in this game if someone isn't badmouthing you ur shit must be off the hook.
as for the guano, i use it per somas instructions as a BOOSTER. i feel like the bio-bloom doesn't quite give me the kick i need between weeks 4 and 6 in flowering. its not necessary by any means, but i heard rave review about GUANOKALONG so i used it for those two weeks at 1 tsp/gal and saw nothing but fat buds and a nice smell. well see how it comes out in the smoke of the finished product (hopefully not at all) :rasta:

Ghostwolf

Pirate & Cherokee Warrior for Freedom and Cannabis
Veteran
Hi MedResearcher

Maybe you need to ask the hydro guys. But as far as I know some hydro ppl use it during the last stages of flowering.

Thanks for the chemical breakdown, it's good info.:pumpkin:

2pac

mollases is A MUST HAVE in any grow..it is an excellent chelator..meaning it makes nutrients more available to the plants..always dilute it first in a cup of VERY hot water..dissolve it like any normal liquid additive...

hilbie

DONT use molasses during the flush, your erb will taste like complete ass. its overated in my opinon, esp if your running something with chems plus organis like floroanova or fox farms or bio bzzz. save your time n money.

*mistress*

Veteran
Hi MedResearcher

which molasses provides this nutritional profile? food or feed grade? or is this a generic ~ of a sample group?

are those supposed to be periods (.), not commas (,) in your profile? interesting; have not seen a molasses w/ more phosphorus than potassium...?...

your #'s state:
Potassium..................... ..................15,00mg
if we take the phosphorus to actually be 30mg, & the potassium to be 15mg, that would make this molasses contain more p:k than any other... molasses is ~1-0-5 n-p-k... 0 being phosphorus...

those mg #'s seem very low as well... is that per 1 teaspoon?

1 tablespoon of molasses provides @ least 300-700mg of potassium.

please provide the brand & amount that provides the #'s you posted.
Ghostwolf said:
Thanks for the chemical breakdown, it's good info.
old thread. those #'s do not seem to be standard food or feed grade molasses. or, may be distinct brand?...

fwiw, basic molasses npk profiles here, w/ formulas on how to calculate any brand/type/nute:
calculating npk/nutrient profile

enjoy your garden!

i have a problem!

i am 4 weeks flower, and i just started appling molasses 2 days ago. well when i woke up today, the pot run off has "gasoline floaters", as ill rightfully call them. the run off in the trays has gunk floating on the top layer. to best describe it, it looks like a thin sheet or many thin sheets floating on the run off surface, and the sheets have a multicolored metallic look at the right light, resembling gas. some will know what im talking about right away. i really hope this isnt root rot. im assuming its a huge surge in bacteria and or fungi. also important to note, water uptake has seemed to have slowed.

today, in effort to rememdy the problem, i put a cap full of H2O2 in my feed (1 gal). and also dumped 2 cap fulls in the run off tray, mixed it around. then i basted the run off out, ran nutes, emptied more run off, and i think threw another h2o2 capful in the bottom.

the flowers have a slightly sour aroma now. rotten fruitish.

dont tell me im fucked but, someone please tell me whats up?

all of this because of the tsp of molasses ive used.

Latest posts

Latest posts