What's new

How soon can males contaminate the Girls?

EasyWider

I was just wondering how soon can the male plants pollinate and fertilize the female. Would a week into flower be soon enough? Also wondering if early male pods could be saved and used at some point to breed, or what would be the best method for someone interested in breeding sometime?

XIII

Males can't pollinate until the ball sacs open. I doubt your females are pollinated a week into flowering, you should be alright.

If you want to selectively pollinate, quarantine the male far away from the females and wait until the sacs pop, then save the pollen in a ziploc baggie. Keep it in a cool, dark place until you're ready to start breeding!

-XIII

H

Hazeseeker

Another good tip is to bend the top of the male plant over and tie it in place with string,
place sheets of glass under the area(s) where the pollen sack are, when it looks like they're gonna burst open give either the pollen sack a light tap with something like a pair of tweezers,
or give the main stalk a slight tap, and the pollen will fall onto the glass,
makes it easy to collect the pollen with the glass if you use a razor blade to scrape it up,

peace

MHHSP

nice tip hazeseeker.

yeah your going to want the male flowers to open and actually drop some pollen otherwise the grains may be underdeveloped.

EasyWider

thanx for the info guys. this is my first indoor grow and still learning alot. I have found this site great and full of knowledge! Thanx again.