What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Do older HPS bulbs put off more Heat?

Pirate138

the Revenant
Veteran
I am asking due to my current setup having some unusual temp fluctuations. I have a 400w HPS light in a cool tube hooked up to a lasko blower. My temps were great during the hottest summer months 78 perfect, i even had to turn my fan speed down all the way to keep it from gettin to cold.

Now though NOTHING changed my temps are pushing 85-87 now! My 400w bulb is over 6 months old so im wonderin if maybe older hps bulbs heat up in there old age? If anyone has any info please chime in. Thanx.

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
What kind of intake do you have? I've got a passive intake, an 8"x8" darkroom louver. If it doesn't get cleaned out every once in a while it gets full of dust and shit and really cuts down on airflow. Your carbon filter could be full of dust and shit too, depending where it's located. Sounds like you might need to do some cleaning.

I'm not sure if older HPS bulbs put off more heat, I don't see any reason they would, but that's just my thoughts on the subject, I don't have a definitive answer on that part for you.

Pirate138

the Revenant
Veteran
Ya know i think passive intakes is my prob, i have alot of plants in my veg chamber and they are coverin the passive intake holes a bit. I moved some things around and my temps improved a little to 85.