What's new

c02 boost

just curious if anyone uses those c02 boost buckets... Do they Work? which is the best c02 route to take? Does c02 really make that much of a difference? Is c02 worth spending the money on (silenoid/tank)? Basically i want to know if c02 is worth puttin the cash up for. and if it is which of the 3 methods is the best for the $$$?

cheapest is the boost buckets/ would love to start with those if they work, im kinda sceptical though

Gottagrow

I've heard from others that you can get 20% more production with CO2. I have yet to get a real CO2 setup yet. I'm trying Dry ice at the moment due to its cheaper to run at the moment ($.99lb) and the fact that the A/C system is broken til monday (temps in the 90s in my tent) . I guess if I had the money for a tank that would be alot cheap in the long run. I looked into the bucket systems at the local hydro shop. The one they have is only like $40 and I think it lasts for 60 days. I dont think you can stop the reaction once started like a tank setup but I could be wrong. I guess the only way to know is to try it out.

well im tryin to figure out what is worth the money

if i can get by with the boost buckets (if they work) its alot cheaper

or i can get a c02 generator, which heat wont be an issue cause i run air conditioning so this is fesable...

or i could spend a shit load and get the tanks and silenoids and refill them everyweek...

which of the 3 systems is worth spending the money on the most

Gottagrow

If it was me and I had the money I would go with a full tank system for 2 reasons. 1) long term it saves money and 2) More control of when I want to put CO2 into the chamber.

LiLWaynE

I Feel Good
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ive heard that co2 boost does not create high enough ppms in the rooms atmosphere in order for it to be useful for MJ... with that being stated, i doubt it would hurt to use it though.

this info of course is all from memory

I

impeachme2

Buckets are much more expensive in the long run. You can get a 20lb tank + regulator for less than 220 on the bay.

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
I'll give it a try...

I'll give it a try...

I just took delivery of a CO2 Boost bucket - for free. A friend who works at a growshop needed to test-drive one before they decide whether it's worth ordering any in, and I'm glad to say he asked me if I'd like to be the driver.

I was actually about to re-install my yeast-method system, as I can control the smell now, but this seemed an ideal opportunity to try something new, and as my grow-cabinet is fairly small but with a very high air throughput (400W cooltubed with two 100mm RVKs), it will give a good idea on whether it can make a difference. I've attached the hose near the circulation fan near the pots - in my cabinet the airflow is so powerful upwards that there's no point putting it any higher, or it'll just get sucked straight out without touching the plants.

I'll give it a week or so and report back - I have plants at 7, 6, 5 and 3 weeks flower, so I can conveniently test them at all stages...fingers crossed...:)

rr14

my suggestion is to get the regulator that hooks up to 2 tanks and then you don't have to change them quite as often. Changing them is a pain.

BlindDate

Veteran
I was actually about to re-install my yeast-method system, as I can control the smell now, but this seemed an ideal opportunity to try something new, and as my grow-cabinet is fairly small but with a very high air throughput (400W cooltubed with two 100mm RVKs), it will give a good idea on whether it can make a difference. I've attached the hose near the circulation fan near the pots - in my cabinet the airflow is so powerful upwards that there's no point putting it any higher, or it'll just get sucked straight out without touching the plants.
As you learn more about growing, some day you will look back at this post and realize that it was probably one of the dumbest things that you have ever done.

You CANNOT run ANY type of CO2 system in a vented environment. Your room must be absolutely sealed. That also means you have to deal with heat and humidity in a different way. CO2 usage is complicated and goes far beyond the tank.

To answer the question: Yes CO2 will make a big (30%) difference.

Last edited:
B

badugi

BlindDate said:
As you learn more about growing, some day you will look back at this post and realize that it was probably one of the dumbest things that you have ever done.

You CANNOT run ANY type of CO2 system in a vented environment. Your room must be absolutely sealed. That also means you have to deal with heat and humidity in a different way. CO2 usage is complicated and goes far beyond the tank.

To answer the question: Yes CO2 will make a big (30%) difference.
I've been trying to tell this to people for ages, but no one ever listens. All this misleading information being spread about yeast, baking soda, etc. systems in a random, unsealed, uncontrolled environment.

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Learn more about growing? Thanks for the sage advice, but I think I know what I'm doing here.

Simply put, my cabinet is designed so that whatever gas goes in at the bottom, it has to come out the top. So any C02 added to the mix must travel through the entire grow to get out - it might be heavier than air, but it's not all pooling around the floor. My cabinet is sealed. My previous grow used yeast, and did add about 30% to previous yields.

I also try and avoid using terms like 'dumb' when addressing strangers who might be posting useful information...

Latest posts

Latest posts