What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Possible nitrogen deficiency?? Help Needed!

jbaxter777

The lower fan leaves of these 3ft. tall plants are yellowing and falling off. They are currently in the first week of flowering and have been maintained at 6.1 and 1100ppm Botanicare Pure blend pro grow during veg and pro flower now. They are in rockwool and placed in 8 inch pots with hydroton, ebb and flow tables. I first noticed this yellowing 2 weeks ago. The plants were very crowded during veg and i assumed that light was not reaching the leaves and that was the problem, I am new to this!! I flood the tables 4 times while the lights are on and never when the lights are off... is this right? Will this dramatically effect the overall yield if the deficiency continues to occur? I have been using bud blood during the first week and plan on adding big bud and overdrive accordingly... any suggestions? Thanks

dontstepongrass

M.U.R.D.A. / FMB crew
Veteran
i have heard to flood once while lights off but this is not my area of expertise... i'm sure someone will chime in here

Snype

Veteran
You want to flood the table as needed. You don't want the cubes to dry out. I'm also using Rockwool and Hydroton. I start out there veg cycle watering every 6 hours and as they use more, I increase it to as much as every hour for 15 minutes when the light is on and when it is off every 3 hours but it really depends on you're enviroment. I keep my res at 5.6 though. You're leaves look burnt from PH or too many nutes. I would personally flush them with PH'd water for 3 or 4 days and then start with 1/4 strength nutes and raise them slowly but maybe not go so high. Some strains don't like a lot of nutes but maybe it's you're PH. Hope you figure it out. Good luck

jbaxter777

Why do you believe its not a nitrogen deficiency?? The top fan leaves stems are now turning redish purple on the top half of the stem only? Does this correspond with a imbalanced PH or another kind of deficency? Thanks for the advise!

Snype

Veteran
jbaxter777 said:
Why do you believe its not a nitrogen deficiency?? The top fan leaves stems are now turning redish purple on the top half of the stem only? Does this correspond with a imbalanced PH or another kind of deficency? Thanks for the advise!

I don't think that it is because you're giving them 1100 ppm and i'm assuming that there's nitrogen in your nutes. I would bring you're PH down a little and I would also flush them. Look at how burned all your leaf tips are.

jbaxter777

that sounds like a plan... i will give them a ph'd water, say 5.8, for 3 days then continue 1100 ppm. Is burned leaf tips a sign of a high ph??

jbaxter777

First day of 5.8 watering the ph climbed to 6.2... did that dramatic change confirm that it is flushing out the high ph??

Snype

Veteran
Burned leaf tips is a sign of over feeding of sum sort but it is hard to determine the exact chemical. Less nutes is better than too many nutes. It's good to start out with healthy plants that were always PH'd to the right number then start with 600 ppm or so and slowly raise it over a long period. Once you start to see slight leap burn at the tips of the leaves then you know that you gave it a little too much and take it down some. Once you know your mom, then you'll be straight for years as long as you have the same mom. Every specific mom is different and eats and metabolizes differently just like you and the people you know. Giving them too much food doesn't help them in any way. Just makes them sick and takes more time to recover. I was giving my Big Buds and Shiva Skunk 1900 ppm and they loved it cause they eat a lot of nutes but when I gave my Nevilles Haze 1100, they got burned. Now I have it down to around 600-800 ppm. I made that mistake too but I learned from it. Good luck with your plants and I hope that you get nice nugs.