What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is it possible to water cure already dried weed?

DHarvester

I have a batch that didn't get to flush long enough before it got chopped down. Because of that, it burns like crap and has a nasty black ash to it. I was reading about water curing, and was wondering if I could take something that has been already dried & cured for over 2 months now and water cure it to "draw out" some of the crap that's in there? I have been holding on to it as "emergency" smoke, but it would be nice to be able to enjoy it!

D.

debritto

ANSWER

ANSWER

DHarvester said:
I have a batch that didn't get to flush long enough before it got chopped down. Because of that, it burns like crap and has a nasty black ash to it. I was reading about water curing, and was wondering if I could take something that has been already dried & cured for over 2 months now and water cure it to "draw out" some of the crap that's in there? I have been holding on to it as "emergency" smoke, but it would be nice to be able to enjoy it!

D.

Yes! use room temp tap water for 6 days, RO the last day, use a container twice the size of herb, keep herb submersed, keep in a dark place, to dry-place fan directly over herb till dry 12+ hours, smoke...Peace

Storm Crow

Veteran
Debritto, you forgot an important detail! Change that water daily! Since his herb is quite dead and dry, it is more prone to decay. If he left it in the same water for a week, all he'd have is gross mush!

Also, I use distilled water from the start and am usually satisfied with the clarity of the run-off water before 7 days. As far as I'm concerned, when it's clear, it's done!

I use a dehydrator set on just fan (no heat) to dry mine when I water cure, but not everyone has a dehydrator. A fan is safer and less smelly than using the oven!

Expect about zero flavor, but smooth smoke from your water cured bud. - Granny

debritto

Storm Crow said:
Debritto, you forgot an important detail! Change that water daily! Since his herb is quite dead and dry, it is more prone to decay. If he left it in the same water for a week, all he'd have is gross mush!

Also, I use distilled water from the start and am usually satisfied with the clarity of the run-off water before 7 days. As far as I'm concerned, when it's clear, it's done!

I use a dehydrator set on just fan (no heat) to dry mine when I water cure, but not everyone has a dehydrator. A fan is safer and less smelly than using the oven!

Expect about zero flavor, but smooth smoke from your water cured bud. - Granny

Thanks for looking out...I sure did forget! Its VIP to change out that water every 24 hours...

I dont use distilled water till the end, IMO it makes the water smell very bad! It pulls out all the crap really quickly, but the smell is too gross for me! I found that the chlorine in the tap water keeps the smells away!

I judge when its done by ppms...usually it starts out around 1800, when it gets to 300-400 (which is what my tap water is) I'll use distilled till 0 ppms (1 day) and it smells fresh & clean.

I do get taste...kind of like a menthol, its probably the strain, its also smooth & stealth.

Peace

norcal_sourD

Excellent advice! Have a messed up batch of Lavender, & Purp Urkle I'll have to try this on! Thanks for the posts!! :rasta:

DHarvester

Thanks for the replys everyone. I'm going to try out a small batch, and I'll report back with my results.

Thanks again,

D.

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
As I recall, water curing previously dried and cured weed is a one day soak. As long as you're at a place to test, do the class a favor and try it both ways and come back with a report.

debritto

I water cured some old nasty stuff for 8 days...I remember, it took longer to drop in ppms.

Left side old stuff day 3

Day 8 at 0-ppms

DHarvester

Debritto: I can't believe your water discolored that much...Yikes!

I just brought home some distilled water, gonna do it over the weekend... wish me luck!

D.

debritto

Wait! Remember to use the distilled water on the 6th or 7th day! do you have a ppm meter? Can you take set-up & before pictures?

ps: That was an organic grow...you should have seen the reservoir...yucky!

Last edited:

DHarvester

I don't have a ppm meter. I was just going to do it for the recommended amount of days and go for it. I am considering switching to hydro, so I will need to invest in ppm (is that the same as tds?), ec, and ph testers. Hydro is a big buy in, but I think that the long term results will be worth it.

Also, why shouldn't I use distilled the whole way through?

debritto

DHarvester said:
I don't have a ppm meter. I was just going to do it for the recommended amount of days and go for it. I am considering switching to hydro, so I will need to invest in ppm (is that the same as tds?), ec, and ph testers. Hydro is a big buy in, but I think that the long term results will be worth it.

Also, why shouldn't I use distilled the whole way through?

Yes to everything, but the Ph its a different meter. Going hydro, I think the results will be worth it too.

Maybe you'll have different results try it both ways...do one jar in distilled only and the other 5days tap & 2days distilled in uncovered jars, kept in a cool dark place. VIP>>>Change the water everyday!

FreezerBoy

Veteran
DHarvester said:
so I will need to invest in ppm (is that the same as tds?), ec, and ph testers.

TDS, PPM and EC meters all measure one thing only, Electrical Conductivity. The EC meter is the only one that displays EC. TDS and PPM meters run the EC through one of many arbitrary bullshit factors, leaving you with imaginary numbers no one agrees on. Those readings can run the garden (the plants don't care about methods or scales) but, in conversation, EC is more useful and trustworthy.

DHarvester

FreezerBoy said:
TDS, PPM and EC meters all measure one thing only, Electrical Conductivity. The EC meter is the only one that displays EC. TDS and PPM meters run the EC through one of many arbitrary bullshit factors, leaving you with imaginary numbers no one agrees on. Those readings can run the garden (the plants don't care about methods or scales) but, in conversation, EC is more useful and trustworthy.

...Well Put! :headbange

FreezerBoy

Veteran
Depends on the style. If you're doing DWC then a water thermometer is crucial as res temps need to under 75 degrees. Preferably in the mid 60s.