What's new

When do you trim, and how and especially... why?

I've heard Before dry, after drying a few days, etc...

Lets hear when you trim and your reasons for doing so... have you changed your methods over the years because one was superior to another?

I personally trim my plants all the way clean when I cut them. If its getting late and I cant finish trimming, I can let the plant go a day or two longer (I love amber trics). I wonder if I'm preventing the juices in the small leaves that are considered good trim from developing fully because I'm removing them from the plant before letting the plant dry out as a whole. I also hate trimming droopy leaves... idk if thats just me.

When to trim for best quality?
When to trim for best ease?

:smoke:

G

I do it the same way as you, taking down as many plants as can be trimmed in a session. Working with limp or curled up leaves is a pain in the ass. After trimming they are laid out on window screens, stacked like a bread rack, in a dark and cool room with ventilation and moderate air circulation.

I have done it both ways, dry/wet and find wet is quicker and to be honest, I haven't notice a difference in the quality of the smoke.

Just my .02 cents.

TyStik

Last edited:
This is my first grow trimming while wet, and I think it was MUCH better than trimming when dry. Maybe not quicker, but definitely had more control and did a better job of trimming.

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran
It depends-- If you are talking just a few plants...then there is no harm in trimming while wet-- But if you are trimming any weight...then you want that shit dry...or you ain't getting good scissor/finger hash...too much water and chlorophyll--
:wave:

DrLongbottom

Veteran
I cut, hang the whole plant till stems snap....then I find manicure is a breeze just using the tips of the fiskars......most times just a lil pressure on a leaf that would have been very difficult to manicure nicely while wet becomes very easy and I think it makes for prettier finished product.....If you plan on making bubblehash with your trim, it's a totally different story...trim it wet for the best fmcd. peace DLB

LiLWaynE

I Feel Good
ICMag Donor
Veteran
DrLongbottom said:
I cut, hang the whole plant till stems snap....then I find manicure is a breeze just using the tips of the fiskars......most times just a lil pressure on a leaf that would have been very difficult to manicure nicely while wet becomes very easy and I think it makes for prettier finished product.....If you plan on making bubblehash with your trim, it's a totally different story...trim it wet for the best fmcd. peace DLB

true dat :joint:

Rosy Cheeks

dancin' cheek to cheek
Veteran
I cut the whole plant, hang them, strip the fan leaves and let the other leaves dry an envelope the buds.

The reason I do this is because I want the buds to slow dry. The slower the buds dry, the less crumbly the end product gets, with a better taste IMO.

10 days drying for stems to snap is a minimum, 14 days a maximum (bud rot risk) . This can be difficult to achieve in the summer period, when crops sometimes dry in a few days, but leaving the foliage is one way to slow it down.

ripOG

I like to trim all the buds, allow to dry, then go back and manicure by plucking out the dry fan leaves by hand or with a scissor. This allows you to remove all the stems attached to the side of the main colas.