What's new

Selecting the best seedlings...

NorCalFor20

Smokes, lets go
Veteran
I sprouted 12 bagseeds and have 5 grape apes that I am about to germinate. Out of the 12 bagseeds I sprouted 2 look way better than the rest. Could I just take the 2 best looking ones and keep them with the apes, or is it bad karma to just get rid of plants? I could gift them to my friend, he is wating on his 600 w hps to come I am keeping 2 of his bagseed seedlings under my fluros until has 600 gets here. I could give them to him when his 600w hps gets here so he can grow them out? Or maybe put them outdoors. The grape apes are all going to be female (s1) so I may need the room as I am only using a 400w cmh light.

edit: one seedling has a strong odor already. very strange. it has a skunk smell to it and is a lighter green than the rest of the plants.

Last edited:

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
We often thin seedlings out to the best plants,, it's common horticultural practise :canabis:

Compost the unwanted seedlings and the karma will remain :wink:

accessndx

♫All I want to do is zoom-a-zoom-zoom-zoom..
Veteran
Sometimes the smaller innocuous looking plants turn out to be the keepers......
Don't you remember the "ugly duckling"? LOL.
I'm not into killing living creatures....I'm not necessarily worried about karma.
I'd give them to someone if you decided to get rid of them. This way they can hit you back with a cutting if it turns out to be killer...and you won't have dead plants on your conscience.

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
accessndx said:
Sometimes the smaller innocuous looking plants turn out to be the keepers......
Don't you remember the "ugly duckling"? LOL.

Taking that a step further, in my experience, the best looking and fastest growing from seed are usually MALES. No keepers there. That's far from scientific but I have noticed a trend with my seedlings.

It makes sense since males are mature and releasing pollen by day 21 of flower while females are just starting to bud.

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you pull on the seedlings at an early age,, the male plants (which hold less root matter) will slip up out of the soil easily ,,, whereas the females (which hold lateral root structures) will put up more resistance when pulled upon :wink:

Latest posts

Latest posts