What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mismatched Bulb and ballast, what happens?

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
If i use a 50w bulb with a 70w ballast, or a 50w ballast with a 70w bulb. whats gonna happen? catastrophic failure? ballast short out and die? nothing? business as usual just not as efficient?

WormSlayer

I'm pretty sure that a 50w bulb will run on a 70w ballast, but it would be rather inefficient.

A 70w bulb on a 50w ballast would be a bad thing(tm)!

DIGITALHIPPY

Veteran
WormSlayer said:
I'm pretty sure that a 50w bulb will run on a 70w ballast, but it would be rather inefficient.

A 70w bulb on a 50w ballast would be a bad thing(tm)!

oh man u must be high! smaller bulb on bigger ballast = EXPLOSION!!!
(try it wormy!) try a 70w on a 50w bal. it might not ignite though.

G

Guest 16149

There is a reason why the ballasts and bulbs are marked with their ratings :)

Do yourself a favor and follow them

DIGITALHIPPY

Veteran
Blaner123Doobie said:
There is a reason why the ballasts and bulbs are marked with their ratings :)

Do yourself a favor and follow them

your so right. but a big bulb on a smal ballast odds are they wont ignite/start

a small bulb on a big ballast is an explosion waiting to happen.

G

Bad things would happen. I would just say I don't advise you doing so.

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
does anyone know for sure? theres somethign wrong with the 70w bulb, brand new, only fired it up once for 1 minutes, doesnt light up anymore. i stuck the 50w bulb in during my troubleshooting, and it lit up. while i wait on a new bulb. i was wondering if i could just use the 50 . it didnt explode, but it might in the future, or nothing might happen. or it might blow out the ballast. i dont know, google was no help, and it doesnt seem like any of you know either. oh well ill just wait for the new bulb.