What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

pruning tips needed!!

CaptainFantasy

Hey all- thanks again for the last advice. so to recap- I have grapefruit clones and one unknown female (who I cloned before I sent her to 12-12) from a bud- in a nice space. They are growing really well- you guys were right about the plants shooting up- some have doubled in size since I flipped them to 12-12. so now what should I do about pruning? In regular gardening- it is usually good to prune to get the biggest flowers- does the same go for my special garden? And if so which leaves/ branches should I be taking off? And should I clip them right after I turn on for the day or right before I turn the light off for the day? So many questions... whats the word boys? Thanks and peace.

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Don't know about bud production but, if height control is your concern, I'd try bending. I tried topping, supercropping and bending recently when my T*HazexSkunk#1 threatened to outgrow it's space. Topping worked ... for a few days. Supercropping? My plant laughed at me. Bending answered all my problems. If the tips ever make it back to where they started, it will represent 8-10 inches of vertical growth without any change in canopy height.

CaptainFantasy

Not super worried about height- seven foot ceiling- six with the hood. What about actually cutting leaves off the plant? the big fan ones I mean?

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
I leave fan leaves as long as they're green. They provide the power the plant needs to run it's various factories. The only exception I make is for heavy condensation. I don't run a fan in the cab. I simply give the stems a good shaking at least once a day. If I notice excessive water from leaf overlap, I'll pick the offending leaves.

Wish I had seven feet :badday:

thekingofNY

Cannasseur
Yea you really don't want to do much pruning at all Unless you have alot of lower bud sites that are not getting alot of light....but like someone else said, tying down is a better option, you pretty much do all your pruning with MJ in veg...or at least I used too.

breeder

Sounds like your more concerned about bud production.
Having some clear photo's of the plant in ? would be very helpfull, but.....
How much space you have in the area to use, root zone included, along with the type of light you have and the amount of time you would like to spend.
As with anything......the more you invest, the more you will be rewarded with.
However the type of light you have will play a major roll in how much time you should invest....know what i mean?
So whatcha got?

CaptainFantasy

I am using a 400w HSP. I will try throw up some pics tomorrow. I don't think I took too many fans off- Plants are deep, beautiful green and seem to be happy! I do keep the fan on all the time and their stems are strong. How important is it to ph test the run off water in the pan? I am balancing the water and feeding with good organic food. I have seen a number of different bloom boosters- is it necessary to change up the nutrient solution during flowering? Thanks for the responses and I look forward to the advice! peace.

green_grow

Veteran
"Plants are deep, beautiful green and seem to be happy!"

it never hurts to check ph, but if your plants are healthy dont fix what ain't broke !
happy growing !