What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Electrical Profile Monitoring System

irconfused

I only read the first few paragraphs but it seems to only detect stolen power for grow ops, so unless you are stupid enough to be doing that you are fine...

Rosy Cheeks

dancin' cheek to cheek
Veteran
Well, yes, it talks some about stolen electricity, but the "detection of atypical energy consumption" indicates monitoring of energy spikes, uneven consumption, etc.

Saelin

sounds like smoke and mirrors

sounds like smoke and mirrors

It can't be completely valid, what happens if I set up a bunch of old p3 towers that use 350-400w with each computer (if i remember correctly) not to mention the monitors, etc... that ran for intermittent periods of time. Then you have people with power tools (DIY home repair crowd) there are many holes in this patent, it would take quite the invasion of privacy to back up the theory of a grow-op based on fluctuation of electrical usage. People aren't that consistent.

Vermonster

yeah but who knows what you are growing, maybe a new technique which i have never heard mentioned would be to a. not steal power then b. set up a large scale tomato grow and be obvious about it, wait till they come knocking then show them around and clear suspicion then harvest your tomatoes and switch it to MJ plants....would take time and waste some money but if your large scale it could be a good way to get a safe place.......personally i do not see how this could ever work in a city like i.e NYC were many people use tons of electricity for millions of different reasons.....personally i do not give a carp if they shut down every beaster growers in Canada, it only makes locally grown USA herb more valuable and most of those guys are violent scumbag gang bangers.......bottom line if your a small personally grower or mid level grower your fine...if your big time well your days may be numbered, after all they are right about it dragging down property values and ruining houses....i do not like anything that harms other people so despite the fact that these laws are racist and ridiculous i wont argue with them on this....i saw the violence of the Canadian beatser trade first hand and your not dealing with hippies here your dealing with bikers and bangers alike who bring weed to the US and coke/meth/heroin and guns back to Canada...their not helping our image and in affect justifying the drug war on MJ. violent criminals belong in jail no matter what they sell.....

Echoes

It sounds like it could be a potential nightmare if ever made standard and truly enforced. I would imagine that it would be easy to spot 12/12 light cycles every day for 65+ days (that's considering they get pretty detailed on the usage reports.) Installing a smart meter so they can drive through the neighborhood and collect data quickly and efficiently is fine with me, however, when you start trying to break down individual citizens utility usage and mine for "suspicious" data...well, that's when it gets far too intrusive for me. It also would largely seem like a waste of time, resources and money.

Vermonster

i doubt a 12 and 12 schedule would be reason enough for a warrant, my lizards have their lights on 12 and 12....that don't narrow it down much yeah know?

Echoes

True

True

Vermonster said:
i doubt a 12 and 12 schedule would be reason enough for a warrant, my lizards have their lights on 12 and 12....that don't narrow it down much yeah know?

That's true, I forgot about terrarium pets and their lights so I suppose a detected 12/12 cycle wouldn't be the death knell after all. And people grow things other than cannabis indoors so I guess that squashes any definite connection between the cycles and pot cultivation. It would still concern me though if they ever did install highly advanced meters that could chart electricity usage so descriptively. There are just some things they don't need to know and they shouldn't even bother at all. To think that they are spending all of this time and money working out ways to stop drugs when none of this will really work. Are they really that ignorant or do they think their goal is realistically attainable? There are many more useful things they could be doing.

MoeBudz^420

Veteran
I think it would depend on just how much power is being used, multi KW snapping on/off every 12 hrs would be a red flag and difficult to offset. Small personal grows with say a 400 or 600 in a cab would be easy to offset by running other appliances like a space heater during lights off - Spaceheater on low = 500W, med = 1000W, hi = 1500W

Also could be offset by saving power by turning off all other unnecessary lights etc. while in the lights on period. I think this technology is a threat to commercial ops only, which like mentioned above, can be the cause of many problems. (ie bikers, other gangs, ruined houses etc.)

Keep it small, providing just your own, and avoiding detection via this tech should be pretty easy IMO. :rasta:

Peace

Rosy Cheeks

dancin' cheek to cheek
Veteran
You mean it would cost US tons of money... who's paying for heat scanning choppers? Tax payers.

Z

zoolander

What we do may be against the law but what kind of people are we if we just let them control all aspects of our lives. I dont wanna sound like a rebel, but I want to have some say in my life. We are not killing people, we just wanna grow a little of this herb.

Macster2

My guess is the only reason they'd be interested in this product would be to detect stolen energy. Which is really the only thing they 'd care about. They can detect pattern usage with the new digital meters they have now.So why pay for this unless it's for stolen energy.
If you're really worried put on your tin hat.

Last edited:

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
They would still need a lot more evidence than "questionable" power usage to secure a search warrant. Power use is only a small part of the equation.

Saelin

two sides to the coin

two sides to the coin

I'll have to side with Vermonster on this one, esp. because I've been fortunate enough to have never run into or deal with the bikers and the other shady sort of folk who have less than noble intentions. I've grown up with the idea of this sort of thing being relegated to hippies and old farmers who couldn't make the taxes work. I don't want to think about the presence of the meth/coke/etc traffickers and producers being associated with MJ, I was young, probably not even born when the beaster problems were about. Mind sharing more Vermonster? I'm always up for a history lesson.

hamstring

Veteran
Not an expert but this type of equipment is becoming the rage in large industrial complexes, colleges, and hospitals.

If you have many departments and each has its own budget you want to be able to charge power usage accordingly. So they meter it, look for peak demand and all kinds of usage data to be able to bring down power consumption costs.

Who cares, well when the technology becomes mature you start seeing its use in other places much like infrared cameras. The cost of these cameras is below 4 k now so they are everywhere don’t believe me ask your maintenance manager if you work in a factory. I feel like these devices(hand held) will be standard equipment for the police much like the military. Not for MJ growers per say but for human detection in low or no light situations.

Moral of the story is although this may seem far fetched today tomorrow it will be commonplace.

PEACE

irconfused

Just something nobody mentioned, to be full proof against this you could just flip flop two separate flowering areas, then it looks like you just leave a lot of crap plugged in.

Also like others have said, why on earth would an energy company spend money to ruin their best customers!?

DIGITALHIPPY

Veteran
guest2222999 said:
My guess is the only reason they'd be interested in this product would be to detect stolen energy. Which is really the only thing they 'd care about. They can detect pattern usage with the new digital meters they have now.So why pay for this unless it's for stolen energy.
If you're really worried put on your tin hat.

the "Big" commercial growers steal the power. and when they do its not a few watts. the power company looses 1000'Sw just sending the juice a mile or two. but that loss is accounted/paid for. this is the shit that gets them.

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=57905&highlight=70,000
http://www.dailybulletin.com/news/ci_5824256

if you pay for power and your not juiceing 300amps for your grow you should be ok...
i recently discoverd it takes 200 amps to keep my a/c on in my new house... 12 hours of daylight in cali gets hot... shit maybe we should bust everyone with there cenral air on all day.....