What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fed To US Banks - "Short on Cash? No Problem We Will Print More!"

G

well i'm sorry to inform all of you that another $20 billion dollars of fiat currency is going to be injected into circulation for at least 28 days by the US Federal Reserve Bank starting tomorrow...

you may ask, "hmm i'm having a 'credit crunch' myself, is the fed going to loan me some dough to make ends meet?"

the answer is a resounding no, the kind given to oliver twist when he insolently requested more gruel...BANKS are receiving this money! In fact many of the very BANKS which serve as the underpinning of the Federal Reserve System are going to receive loans FROM the Federal Reserve System TOMORROW!

WoW when you write it out like that its kind of like seeing a couple of first cousins having kids together...Ron Paul needs to have a field day with this shit...

LINK - http://money.cnn.com/2007/12/19/news/economy/fed_auctions/index.htm?cnn=yes

Fed to lend $20 billion to banks
Central bank, in a bid to ease credit crunch, gets strong demand for short-term funding. Wall Street is not convinced the loans will help.

Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke and fellow central bankers said the Fed was lending $20 billion to banks.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- The Federal Reserve announced Wednesday that it was lending $20 billion to banks in the first of four special auctions designed to help alleviate the credit crunch on Wall Street.

The Fed said that it received requests for $61.6 billion in loans from 93 bidders - illustrating strong demand by banks that need short-term funds. The winning bidders will receive their loans, which will mature in 28 days, on Thursday.

Initially, stocks moved modestly higher Wednesday following the release of the auction results but headed lower in early afternoon trading. The price of bonds fell at first but wound up rallying later in the morning, pushing the yield on the benchmark 10-year U.S. Treasury note down to 4.09 percent. Bond yields and prices move in opposite directions.

One market expert said the auctions will do little to ease the pain in the financial markets.

"This is a crisis of confidence, not of liquidity or rates. The problem is that people made bad loans this year. There's nothing the Fed can do to fix this. All they can do is try and reduce anxiety," said Barry Ritholtz, director of equity research for Fusion IQ, an asset management firm based in New York.

The Fed last week announced the auction plan in conjunction with central banks in Canada and Europe. A senior Fed official said at the time that the central bank was hoping banks that needed funding would be less hesitant to ask for money through the new anonymous auction process than they were to borrow directly from the Fed.
Fed looks to end credit crunch

Many banks had been wary of borrowing money at the Fed's so-called discount rate of 4.75 percent because it is higher than the federal funds rate of 4.25 percent. The federal funds rate is what banks charge each other for overnight loans. The Fed lowered both rates last week by a quarter of a percentage point.

In addition, market observers feel that there is a stigma attached with borrowing at the discount rate because it may be a sign that banks are so desperate for short-term cash that they are willing to pay the higher interest rate for the funds.

But the Fed said last week that it expected the loans would be made at a lower rate than the discount rate and this bore out. The Fed said Wednesday that the the lowest rate for the loans was 4.65 percent.

One fund manager said that the auction may help banks somewhat but that the results were not that significant since the rate on the loans is still above the fed funds rate.

"The Fed is trying to do its job. This was a reasonable thing for them to do and it's ultimately good for banks that don't want to go to the discount window. But the rate is at the middle of the road," said Jamie Jackson, a portfolio manager with RiverSource Investments in Minneapolis.

The Fed said last week that the minimum rate offered in the auction would be 4.17 percent and that maximum loan amount to an institution would be $2 billion.

The second of the four auctions will take place on Thursday. The Fed has said it will offer up to $20 billion in this auction. The loans will mature in 35 days and banks will receive the money on Dec. 27.
The Fed's tightrope act

The results of the Fed auction come a day after the European Central Bank announced it would lend an unlimited amount of money to banks bidding at least 4.2 percent for loans.

Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke and other central bankers across the globe have been attempting to inject more liquidity into the financial system in order to make sure that banks don't run into even more difficulties resulting from the supbrime mortgage meltdown.

Many large banks in the United States and Europe have been forced to write down billions in assets because of bad bets on mortgage loans. And the concern is that without access to more capital, banks may tighten lending standards.

In turn, this could accelerate a slowdown in the economy and possibly even send the U.S. into a recession if banks are no longer interested in loaning as much money at attractive rates to consumers and businesses.

But Fusion IQ's Ritholtz was skeptical that the new loans would cause banks to loosen their credit standards.

"The problem that the Fed is facing is not an issue of rates being too high and an inadequate amount of liquidity. It's that banks have gone from being willing to lend to a corpse to lending to nobody," said Ritholtz.

Still, the Fed is in a tough spot. It is trying to make sure the woes in the financial services industry don't spill over into the broader economy.

The Fed said last week when it lowered interest rates that "economic growth is slowing, reflecting the intensification of the housing correction and some softening in business and consumer spending."

But at the same time, the Fed said it remained concerned about rising inflation pressures. That spooked Wall Street, which interpreted the Fed's inflation worries as a sign that the central bank may not lower interest rates as aggressively in 2008 as many had hoped.

These fears intensified later last week after the government reported that wholesale prices and retail prices both rose more than expected in November. And that has sparked fears on Wall Street of "stagflation," a period of rising inflation and slowing growth.

Former Fed chairman Alan Greenspan used the term "stagflation" on an appearance on ABC's "This Week" on Sunday.

With all this in mind, one fund manager said the Fed should tread cautiously.

"The Fed has to maintain price stability and keep the economy moving forward without jeopardizing growth," said Ted Parrish, co-manager of the Henssler Equity fund, which owns shares of big financial firms Goldman Sachs (GS, Fortune 500), Bank of America (BAC, Fortune 500) and AIG (AIG, Fortune 500).

"Yes, the Fed has to give some help to banks," Parrish said. "But they are not here to just to appease and bail out Wall Street."

ahhh stagflation, only possible through the incestuous banking system that enslaves us...if ron paul doesn't do something about this shit then the country is going to be run by goldman sachs in five years b/c they're going to be the only ones able to sort out our mongoloid-reject monetary system the way its going now...sell $US and buy whatever, lol...

Last edited:
G

the article said demand was strong for the auction but i just talked to someone who listened to it and they said it was less than expected, even though the issue was fully subscribed...30-year bond futures rallied a point after the announcement, who does the fed think its kidding anymore?

Last edited:

newbgrow

The thing you missed is Fed is not giving this money to banks for free. It's a loan, so they would have more short-term cash to ease the credit crunch and sub-prime mortgage problem. The loan they are getting is higher than the federal rate, meaning in the long run, the country makes money in this transaction. In theory, of course...

What I'm thinking is 'time to buy some bank stocks!'

G

right but if you read the article you will see that the european bank got people to pay 4.2% for the same thing that people would buy from the US at only 4.17%...it doesn't matter that they are charging them interest; every transaction these banks undertake is done at rates WELL over the discount rate or any of these treasury rates...so the banks make vig at the expense of us by diluting the money supply...then they may or may not retire that loan at such a bullshit low interest rate at the end of the month...my bet is it is rolled over into another such offering and the pyramid will grow bigger yet...

the only bank stock you should buy is goldman sachs...actually you should short sell every single other investment bank in the US and use the proceeds to buy goldman stock...good luck finding a broker that will let you do that without a shit ton of margin...what a f%$^@n scam...

Last edited:

newbgrow

I actually think Citibank, Bank of America, amongst others may be good deals, too. Stocks are crashing lately, but it isn't the first time it has happened. If you look at history, after every major crash, comes a major rebound over the next couple of years. Take the .com bubble for instance, if you had bought bank stocks after that and held till 2006, you'd be rich!

I agree with you that more money in circulation dilutes value, adds to inflation, etc., and a host of other problems. In this case, though, there may be other adverse reactions if Wall Street continues to drop, banks are unable to pull out of debt, people being unable to finance their houses, etc. so the Fed has to step in from time to time.

This is really the question of whether or not the idea of central banks and money not backed by anything really works - if you believe what Ron Paul says to abolish the Federal Reserve. In my opinion, that's easier said than done. For now, the best way to win the game is to play it.

Maj.PotHead

End Cannibis Prohibition Now Realize Legalize !!
Mentor
Veteran
the united states of america is bankrupt most of it's citizens who buy stuff on credit are over extended or very close to it.

bergerbuddy

Canna Coco grower
Veteran
Don't you see this organized currency collapse as the "reason" we will need to strengthen the currency "regionally" hence a common currency here for the NAU.. saying.. that at least it will protect our trade here??

I can almost see how they are gonna justify this new buck.. by just utterly destroying the dollar as the currency of the world....

Here.. aljazeera does a death on the dollar special... just sickening..

part 1 http://youtube.com/watch?v=54MUm2P1jOU
part 2 http://youtube.com/watch?v=HdrNbhdl7uU

Peace

Last edited:

Babombeez

Hey Bergerbuddy... good to see you posting brotha! How are you liking the buds?

The economy is looking pretty bad, and I agree it has been worse. However, there are a lot of "fears" out right now... and consequently people panic quite easily, it's all in the media: foreclosures, credit woes, stock plunges, I mean the writing is on the wall!

Perhaps are we seeing a repeat of the Great Depression, as the economy points in that direction... The gap between rich and poor is growing 'gargantuanly' larger, not to mention rising inflation! Where is all the money??!!! Oh, I know... It's funding humanity's animal instinct and the thorn in our side-- the Military/ Industrial complex and funding illegal wars. Some would not have a problem finding parallels between the Bush administration and Fascism. This administration should have been impeached 6 years ago, for war crimes and allowing an attack on the World Trade Center and Twin Towers.

On another note, Ron Paul is sure an interesting character. He has a rather large following now, and I expect his popularity to surge in the coming of the next election, but as I hold to my philosophy of all politicians being corrupt, because absolute power corrupts. no doubt!

I guess much of what he proposes would topple America, society would crumble because all the old systems of govt. would change.. But we could hope at least that the Bush regime does not bring us total catastrophe by the way of war, and that all of the ancient prophecies about gloom and doom can be prevented by a harmonized humanity.

It will be quite interesting to see what happens..

only 'time' will tell, right?

Beez

Edit: PS, it will also be interesting to see all of the big players' 4th Quarter profits, as this would be a good indicator of a recession?

Last edited:

bergerbuddy

Canna Coco grower
Veteran
Hey Beez- I love the buds... and I'm blending the Purple with some new things... gonna try for something new n purple... we shall see..

yea I agree the media plays into this.. but the currency issue is a world wide ISSUE.. which I think the media has NOT PLAYED UP MUCH.. as they are part of the conspiracy...

Remember Baghdad Bob... "The Americans are not here they are lying"

I think we have the Information Ministry of America now.... "don't worry.. everything will be fine... just elect who we "offer" you and they can fix it!!." HAH!!

Brother... please please consider regsitering NOW.. as a REPUBLICAN... HOLD YOUR NOSE... I DID!!!

We just have to take the power back from these POWER MONGERS and give it to a real patriot who has the BEST INTEREST OF THE COUNTRY IN HIS HEART... NOT JUST OF HIS SPECIAL INTEREST!!

Check out this pretty good article written by Tucker Carlson.. someone I've come to detest...hahahha
He tries to make Dr. Paul sound like someone who shuns publicty and isn't looking for power... and "implies" that might be a weakness????? HAHAHAHA.
http://www.tnr.com/politics/story.html?id=83665295-1de6-4571-af9c-0a90f6d1fde0

I hope your right though about Dr. Paul's support building... ESPECIALLY IN CALI!!!

Please bro... give him your vote... at worst we will piss off and upset the power elite.. and BEST.. We may make a difference in the world!!!
Cali deadline is Dec.28th... u can register at the DMV I think..
Here is a Cali link for the info!! but geeze.. the 28th is approaching.. the beasts have changed the laws in Cali this year trying to stifle Dr. Paul's support... the only good thing about Cali this yr is how they send DELEGATES.... a precint with 100 people get the same delegates as a precints with a 1000 people!... So it could be good if Dr. Paul GETS THE VOTE OUT!!!
http://www.cagop.org/
Peace

G

i do believe oliver will be dining on whatever he pleases after the FOMC gets done being taken into receivership by the US people. Give it four years.

Peace
Nug

Flasht2

I hope we have 4 years. The longer this recession gets stretched out the worse it will be. Right now it's poised to be longer than in the late 20's.

I heard something interesting on the satellite radio yesterday. It said something like this, "Two of the nation's top economists are now saying that there is no significant need to worry..." blah blah and etc..

I was dying for them to tell me WHO were those two "top" economists that were so wise and infinite in their knowledge to be able to say something like that.... guess who they were.. seriously... Ben Bernake and the head of the Treasury! ROFL! The EXACT 2 fu*#kers that are responsible for the situation. No wonder why they say there is nothing to worry about.

If anyone hasn't watched Ron Paul grill Ben Bernake in Congress, goto youtube now and watch it. He calls him out and Ben can do nothing about it other than agree. :joint: