What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Medical Marijuana Gets Heavy Support

marx2k

Veteran
07 Oct 2007

Wisconsin State Journal
-------
Mary Powers of Madison takes marijuana to relieve nausea caused by AIDS and cancer.

Brian Barnstable of Milwaukee uses it to ease multiple sclerosis pain.

Both patients can get the pot they smoke and bake with on the black market, but they say medical marijuana should be legal.

"Why should it be so hard?" asked Powers, 48.

That question was the focus of the 37th annual Great Midwest Marijuana Harvest Festival Saturday on State Street Mall. The event continues at 1 p.m. today, with a walk to the Capitol at 3 p.m.

On Saturday, amidst booths selling hemp clothes and pot posters, medical marijuana supporters urged passage of a bill, which could be introduced in the state Legislature this week, that would legalize the use of the plant to treat many ailments.

"Every day, cannabis helps me live better, " said Gary Storck, of Madison, the organizer of the event, who uses marijuana for glaucoma and chronic pain. "Immediately when I take it I feel a good effect. "

The bill, sponsored by Rep. Frank Boyle, D-Superior, and Rep. Mark Pocan, D-Madison, likely will be introduced Monday, Pocan said last week. It is being called the Jacki Rickert Medical Marijuana Act after a woman who rode her wheelchair 210 miles from Mondovi to Madison 10 years ago to raise awareness of the issue.

Boyle, Pocan and others have introduced such legislation before. Rep. Leah Vukmir, R-Wauwatosa, chairwoman of the Assembly's health-care committee, is an opponent who has vowed not to give the new bill a hearing.

Twelve states have legalized medical marijuana: Alaska, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Maine, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont and Washington.

Two years ago, the U.S. Supreme Court upheld the federal government 's ability to prosecute medical marijuana patients even in states that have made it legal. But most arrests for pot use are by local or state police, not federal officials.

June Dahl, a UW-Madison professor of pharmacy, said "there really isn't any strong evidence" that marijuana relieves pain.

"But people who have pain have a lot of anxiety, and marijuana can have a calming effect," she said.

Dahl said she opposes the legalization of medical marijuana because of the drug's mood-altering effects and its lung-disease risks when smoked. Also, the pill Marinol, which contains the active pot ingredient THC, is available. And new pain medications are hitting the market, offering more alternatives, she said.

"There are huge implications to legalizing marijuana for patients," she said. "For one, are you going to let them drive?"

Also, since THC is stored in the brain, Dahl asked, "Are you going to have mass spectrometers in police stations to measure it like Breathalyzers for alcohol? "

Meanwhile, the maker of Sativex, a mouth spray that contains THC and another active ingredient in marijuana, says a clinical trial is underway in the United States. The product has been available in Canada for two years.

Such developments aren't good enough for patients such as Carolyn McDonough, 21, of Sun Prairie. She has been smoking and baking with marijuana since she was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis two years ago.

McDonough said marijuana reduces the pressure behind her eyes, enables her to walk better and cuts down on her need to take muscle relaxants.

"I shouldn't have to be a criminal for it," she said.

marx2k

Veteran
marx2k said:
Boyle, Pocan and others have introduced such legislation before. Rep. Leah Vukmir, R-Wauwatosa, chairwoman of the Assembly's health-care committee, is an opponent who has vowed not to give the new bill a hearing.

I find this appalling. This is a state rep that is going against the wants of the people. And the wants are obvious in Wisconsin. I don't get who elects these people.

June Dahl, a UW-Madison professor of pharmacy, said "there really isn't any strong evidence" that marijuana relieves pain.

"But people who have pain have a lot of anxiety, and marijuana can have a calming effect," she said.

I call bullshit on this. Any takers?

Dahl said she opposes the legalization of medical marijuana because of the drug's mood-altering effects and its lung-disease risks when smoked. Also, the pill Marinol, which contains the active pot ingredient THC, is available. And new pain medications are hitting the market, offering more alternatives, she said.

Lots of legal drugs currently making billions of dollars (that I am sure she is well aware of) also alter mood and cause a lot harsher side effects. She opposes the legalization of marijuana to help sick people because it might alter their mood. This is a professor of pharmacy. This is a person who is churning out leaders of the next generation. Also, she mentions that Marinol is a pill which contains "active pot ingredient THC" that helps relieve pain, but yet... marijuana doesn't help relieve pain. Again, I call bullshit, shenanigans or what have you.

"There are huge implications to legalizing marijuana for patients," she said. "For one, are you going to let them drive?"

Another bullshit remark. Do you not warn people taking prescription meds that they should avoid driving after taking these meds?

Also, since THC is stored in the brain, Dahl asked, "Are you going to have mass spectrometers in police stations to measure it like Breathalyzers for alcohol? "

Say what?? We're talking about legalizing it as medicine, not a party favor. She seems confused as to the topic of conversation. Should she really be teaching students anything?

Such developments aren't good enough for patients such as Carolyn McDonough, 21, of Sun Prairie. She has been smoking and baking with marijuana since she was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis two years ago.

McDonough said marijuana reduces the pressure behind her eyes, enables her to walk better and cuts down on her need to take muscle relaxants.

"I shouldn't have to be a criminal for it," she said.

Carolyn should ask Professor Dahl. Apparently Dahl thinks so.

dwtc

"new pain medications are hitting the market"

what they gotta improve the addictive powers of there MAN MADE drug? oxycontin is the worst pain meds you can be taking imho. i've seen very good LAW abiding people turn to robbery, prostitution, for the drug and have had countless friends DIE from it. SAD that a PLANT made by mother nature with NO side effects IS BANNED. seems to me that they want us sedated so they can steal from us easier.

i know first hand that smoking erb relieves pain. i have a compressed S1 vertabra and my life would not be the same if i had to take PILLS to stop pain. i had surgery a few months back that actually help alot with the pain but with the work i do(self employed) it deff gets hard somedays to bend over, or sit for long periods of time. the erb helps me in so many ways, while a pill can destroy you in every way.

p.s. maybe the people of MADISON should vote out dahl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stay safe and free,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,dwtc

p.s.s. ron paul 2008.com