What's new

will a water pump burn up if blocked?

Y

yamaha_1fan

I just filled my rez and plugged the pump in. I have an ebb and flow table. Well like I figured since I changed my design and the pump is right under the table now, it has full pressure and shoots water to the ceiling. Luckily I installed a ball valve and reduced the pressure so it works fine.

Will the ball valve right after the pump affect its life? I think not but I ask those who may know.

Its coming along. Got the lights fired up, testing the pumps and rez, yes it is coming along

kurlyq2g

How much pressure is being put on the pump?

It will certainly shorten the life of the motor, as it is working harder.

As to how much it will shorten the life of the pump, that would be closely related to how much it is intended to push, compared to how much you are making it push now (with the added resistance).

G

If your pump is blocked the back pressure can overload the motor causing heat build up both in the motor and the pump itself. Heat in the pump can cause seal/packing failure and subsequent leakage.

On the supply line running from the pump to the fill/bubbler head install a T-fitting followed by a valve then a line back to the res. By adjusting the valve you can bleed off excess pressure. This is referred to as a "Loop". Problem solved.

go for it,

Ty-Stik :headbange

Y

yamaha_1fan

I see. good advice Ty. I may have to add a couple more heads. The table is 11 feet long and is just not even. I lifted one end up but I still get water puddling in the middle. SO i may add some heads in various spots that will allow the table to drain in various spots. But if I still need to relieve pressure, I will follow your advise

G

hardseed said:
try a GSXR 1000 it will work beter

OK, the GSXR 1000 will do a better what? We're talking about a volume/pressure bypass not a high speed motorcycle.

Ty

BlindDate

Veteran
If you are talking about a mag drive pump then running it partially blocked will do nothing to cause wear.

Y

yamaha_1fan

I believe it is a mag drive pump, its a pondmaster. I did buy the tees already

Y

yamaha_1fan

Ty-Stik said:
OK, the GSXR 1000 will do a better what? We're talking about a volume/pressure bypass not a high speed motorcycle.

Ty

That may tie into my screen name of yamaha_1fan. He may think I am referring to the R1. However I am actually a former gixxer owner and the yamaha fan relates back to their PWC line, not bikes.

BlindDate

Veteran
That may tie into my screen name of yamaha_1fan. He may think I am referring to the R1. However I am actually a former gixxer owner and the yamaha fan relates back to their PWC line, not bikes.

Huuuhhhh...Please don't post when you are high. btw...We are talking about water pumps.

Y

yamaha_1fan

BlindDate said:
Huuuhhhh...Please don't post when you are high. btw...We are talking about water pumps.

I dont get high. If you followed the posts you would see it makes perfect sense. :) Thanks for the info on the mag drive.

No sweat Hardseed, Was I right though about the R1?