What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

alternative to perlite?

G

advice sought ... it's hard to find perlite in bulk ...

??any tips for me to lighten up bulk top soil and make a suitible mix for large containers ??

peace

star crash

Delta9-THC

from the mists and the shadows .... there you wil
Veteran
well theres a choice of stuff...
if you liive near a garden centre its easier : )
sand
vermiculite
horticutural grit
or just more soil of a different consistency

Peace

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
Only concern I'd have about Vermiculite is that it works different the perlite. Whereas perlite does not retain water, vermiculite is specifically for retaining water.

Have you considered using hydroton? I've used in my soil to lighten it up and make it a bit less water retentive. Plus, you can get 50 gal bags at the hydro store :D

hrm

hrm

You may not find one substitute, which will replace perlite. That stuff is pricey for a reason.

I would recommend adding drywall; especially for large amounts of top soil. I think you'll find many benefits from doing this.
(http: //findarticles. com/p/articles/mi_m1200/is_n6_v143/ai_13434143)

Keep in mind, there are heaps of drywall being thrown out on a daily basis. If you're looking to operate on the cheap, it doesn't get much cheaper than the landfill.

peace,
and
good luck.

G

thanks ... i'm not real close to any grow shops but i have a truck, so i was thinking something like a basic "bulk top soil + peat moss + sand"

i need a LOT of mix :joint: and i don't mind the work, but get stuck when i want to lighten the soil, hence the thread ... need help & ideas ... something simple that will work with out perlite ... has to drain real well you know

peace

OG bub

~Cannabis-Resinous~
ICMag Donor
Veteran
lava rock fellas.

different grades can be found at stores that supply for landscaping.

lava rock also washes up less in outdoor plots, and is less obvious than perlite is secluded plots.
ive used it for many years.

its also quite cheap!

enjoy!
peace, bub.

lc00p4

STORM-TROOPA
Veteran
packing peanuts? aren't those made out of styrofoam? not sure if those would be the best idea because those got cfc's in them. ogbub is right about lavarock. look into that a little more to see if it suits you. peace.

inflorescence

Veteran
pumice, but pumice holds a little more water.
20pumice1a.jpg

Last edited:
G

RICE HULLS! They do not move around upwards like perlite, downwards like vermiculite, I have been put onto this stuff and I can tell you after putting over 20k gallons through my buckets on accident over the course of a few days that it doesn't move! Its the perfect perlite replacement as far as I can tell!

G

Chodo, your post made me go do a little reading about rice hulls. They have alot of good qualities plus there is disposal problem with them. Seems they don't burn too well because they contain a huge amount of naturally occuring silca. Here is a link to an article about a guy at Univ. of Arkansas who is looking into using them in ways we would be interested in. http://deltafarmpress.com/mag/farming_rice_hulls_valuable/ They can be bought through wine making supply stores online. Seems to me, they would make a good organic alternative to perlite.

Try a product called Turface MVP. Also sold as Aquatic Soil (do an internet search). It’s a fired clay product much like hydroton but much smaller chunks. Like hydroton its pH neutral. I use it straight as a medium in “hempy buckets”. Has absorbency and wicking properties similar to a combination of perlite and vermiculite, but its heavy like clay pellets so it stays put. Also very reusable. Just let the root ball dry and shake it out. Lasts forever and if you want to dump it, it mixes with soil so that it is relatively invisible, unlike buckets full of bright white perlite.

V

vonforne

Old Fool said:
Chodo, your post made me go do a little reading about rice hulls. They have alot of good qualities plus there is disposal problem with them. Seems they don't burn too well because they contain a huge amount of naturally occuring silca. Here is a link to an article about a guy at Univ. of Arkansas who is looking into using them in ways we would be interested in. http://deltafarmpress.com/mag/farming_rice_hulls_valuable/ They can be bought through wine making supply stores online. Seems to me, they would make a good organic alternative to perlite.

Good find Old Fool, warrants a looksy. Thanks for the link. I'm interested in the silica qualities also.

V

cactusjack said:
Try a product called Turface MVP. Also sold as Aquatic Soil

What growth rates & yields did you get from your plants using turface? Did you need more than (1) 7/16 hole on the side of the bucket to help with runoff? PP

Suby

**AWD** Aficianado
Veteran
Just trow a few lava stones in the bottom of you buckets and make sure your soil mix has coco peat in it, it will shorten the wet/dry cycles as well as being an active substrate.
About 20-30% coco peat plus the lava stones will keep you covered, I have used hydroton before and I do like, I find it idea for soil biology to multiply in but if your having trouble finding perlite than I wouldn't hold my breath to find hydroton.
Lava rock you'll find at pet stores for aquariums and coco peat is often sold in small bags at Walmart as Cactus or Orchid medium. :rasta:

Good Luck
S :joint:

Latest posts

Latest posts