What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Beginners Guide to Breeding

My intentions for this thread are for fellow beginners into breeding to come to research, learn the facts, and share experiences about the art of breeding. If you have breeding questions or something positive to contribute please do. If you are corrected at some point in the thread by someone with more knowledge please don’t be offended but take it as constructive criticism. If you are not 100% sure in your answer please state that or phrase your response so it indicates that. If it is speculation please do the same. Hopefully some accomplished breeders will chime in from time to time to answer some of the tougher questions. I’m confident this thread will be conducive to learning the facts with everyone's help.

If you have articles, pictures, or anything else informative for the beginner breeder…please share the knowledge. Any length articles are welcome.

JC :wave:

The Glossary of Terms for Breeding

~if you have something to contribute to the glossary please PM me and I will add it. (If you would like the source please PM me)

ABAXIAL: Facing away from the axis of an organ or organism; 'the abaxial surface of a leaf is the underside or side facing away from the stem".

ADAPTATION: An alteration or adjustment in structure or habits, often hereditary, by which a species or individual improves its condition in relationship to its environment.

ADVENTITOUS ROOT: Roots growing in an unusual location e.g. from a stem. Of or belonging to to a root structure that develops in an unusual place on the plant.

ALLELE: One member of a pair or series of genes that occupy a specific position on a specific chromosome.

ANTHER: The pollen-bearing part of the stamen.

ANTHOCYANIN: Any of various water-soluble pigment that impart to flowers and other plant colors ranging from violet and blue to most shades of red.

APICAL DOMINANCE: Inhibition of the growth of lateral buds by the terminal bud of a plant shoot.

ASEXUAL REPRODUCTION: Relating to, produced by, or involving reproduction that occurs without the union of male and female gametes, as in cloning and tissue culture.

AUTOFLOWERING: A plant that flowers only according to plant maturity and is not flowering photoperiod responsive.

AUTOSOME: A chromosome that is not a sex chromosome.

AUXIN: Any of several plant hormones that regulate various functions, including cell elongation.

AXIAL: Located on, around, or in the direction of an axis.

BRACT: A leaflike or scalelike plant part, usually small, sometimes showy or brightly colored, and located just below a flower, a flower stalk, or an inflorescence.

BACKCROSS: To cross (a hybrid) with one of its parents or with an individual genetically identical to one of its parents.

CALYX: The sepals of a flower considered as a group.

CANNABINOID: Any of various organic substances, such as THC, found in cannabis.

CANNABIS INDICA: A cannabis of a variety noted by its short squat traits and shorter flowering period. It has a more physical, body stone, type of effect.

CANNABIS RUDERALIS: A cannabis of a variety noted for its autoflowering properties.

CANNABIS SATIVA: A cannabis of a variety noted by its long broad traits and longer flowering period. It has more head high type of effect and is less physical.

CAPPITATE STALKED TRICHOME: The most common type of trichome, typically mushroom shaped and somewhat long.

CAROTENOID: Any of a class of yellow to red pigments, including the carotenes and the xanthophylls.

CUBING: Selective, but random, mating of a female by using all of her offspring's pollen in a backcrossing operation to produce a population of offspring for further breeding selection.

DIOECIOUS: Having the male and female reproductive organs borne on separate individuals of the same species. Characterized by species in which the male and female reproductive organs appear on different individuals; sexually distinct.

DIPLOID: Having a pair of each typ of chromosome, so that the basic chromosome number is doubled: diploid somatic cells.

DOMINATE: Of, relating to, or being an allele that produces the same phenotype effect whether inherited with a homozygous or heterozygous allele

ELONGATE: To make or grow longer.

ENZYME: Any of numerous proteins or conjugated proteins produced by living organisms and functioning as biochemical catalysts.

EPISTASIS: An interaction between nonallelic genes, especially an interaction in which one gene suppresses the expression of another.

EVOLUTION: Change in the genetic composition of a population during succesive generations, as a result of natural selecting acting on the gentic variation among individuals, and resulting in the development of new species. The historic development of a related group of organisms; phylogeny.

FILIAL: Of or relating to a generation or the sequence of generations following the parental generation; Filial Generation 1 = F1, Filial Generation 2 = F2

FITNESS: The extent to which an organism is adapted to or able to produce offspring in a particular environment.

FLOWERING: The final stage of plant growth where the plant develops its sexual organs fro reproduction.

GAMETE: A reproductive cell having the haploid number of chromosomes, especially a mature sperm or egg capable of fusing with a gamete of the opposite sex to produce the fertilized egg.

GENE: A heredity unti consisting of a sequence of DNA that occupies a specific location on a chromosome and determines a particular characteristic in an organism. Genes undergo mutation when their DNA sequence changes.

GENOTYPE: The genetic makeup, as distinguished from the physical appearance of an organism or a group of organisms. The combination of alleles located on homologous chromosomes that determines a specific characteristic or trait.

GENUS: A taxonomic category ranking below a family and above a species and generally consisting of a group of species exhibiting similar characteristics. In taxonomic nonmenclature the genus name is used, either alone or followed by a Latin adjective or epthet, to form the name of a species.

HEMP: Cannabis. The tough, course fiber of the cannabis plant, used to make cordage. Any of various plants similar to cannabis, especially one yielding a similar fiber. The fiber of such a plant.

HERMAPHRODITE: An animal or plant exhibiting hermaphroditism.

HERMAPHRODITISM/HERMAPHRODISM: An anomalous condition in humans and animals in which both male and female reproductive organs and secondary sexual characteristics are present in the same individual.

HETEROSIS: A marked vigor or capacity for growth that is often shown by crossbred animal or plants also called hybrid vigor.

HETEROZYGOUS: Having different alleles at one or more corresponding chromosomal loci. Of or relating to a heterozygote.

HOMOGENEOUS/HOMOZYGOUS: Having the same alleles at a particular gene locus on homologous chromosomes.

HORMONE: A synthetic compound, or naturally produced similar substances found in plants and that regulate their development.

HYBRID: The offspring of genetically dissimilar parents or stock, especially the offspring produced by breeding plants or animals of different varieties, species, or races.

IBL: Abbreviation for In Bred Line and refers to a strain that is stable for the vast majority of its traits and will breed true in the offspring.

INBREEDING: To breed by the continued mating of closely related individuals, especially to preserve desirable traits in a stock. To breed or develop within; engender.

INTERNODE: A section or part between two node regions. Also called the internode distance.

LANDRACE: A population of plants, commonly found in the wild, with some man made influences suggesting cultivation in its lineage, even though it may now grow wild.

LINKAGE: An association between two or more genes such that the traits they control tend to be inherited together.

LOCI: The plural of locus.

LOCUS: The position that a given gene occupies on a chromosome.

MATURITY: A plant reaches maturity when it is capable of displaying its sex.

MEIOSIS: The process of cell division in sexually reproducing organisms that reduces the number of chromosomes in reproductive cells from diploid to haploid, leading to the production of gametes in plants.

MERISTEM: The undifferentiated plant tissue from which new cells are formed, as that at the tip of a stem or root.

MITOSIS: The process in cell division by which the nucleus divides, typically consisting of four stages, prophase, metaphase, anaphase, and telophase, and normally resulting in two new nuclei, each of which contains a complete copy of the parental chromosomes. Also called karyokinesis.

MONOECIOUS: Having unisexual reproductive organs or flowers of both sexes borne on a single plant, as in corn and pines. Relating to or exhibiting hermaphroditism.

MUTATION: A change of the DNA sequence within a gene or chromosome of an organism resulting in the creation of a new character or trait not found in the parental type. The process by which such a change occurs in a chromosome, either through an alteration in the nucleotide sequence of the DNA coding for a gene or through a change in the physical arrangement of a chromosome.

NECROSIS: Death of cells or tissues through injury or disease.

NODE: The point on a stem or branch, where a leaf or branch is attached or has been attached. The region where a leaf is joined to a petiole or where the petiole is joined to a branch, or where a branch meets the stem.

OFFSPRING: See Progeny

ORGANELLE: A differentiated structure within a cell, such as mitochondrion, vacuole, or chloroplast, that performs a specific function.

ORGANIC: Of relating to, or derived from living organism.

OUTBREEDING: The interbreeding of individuals or strains that are relatively unrelated.

OVERDOMINANCE: The condition of a heterozygote having a phenotype that is pronounced or better adapted than that of either homozygote.

OVULE: A minute structure in seed plants, containg the embryo sac and surrounded by the nucellus, that develops into a seed after fertilization.

PETIOLE: The stalk by which a leaf is attached to a stem. Also called leafstalk.

PHENOTYPE: The observable physical or biochemical characteristics of an organism, as determined by both genetic makeup and environmental influences. The expression of a specific trait, such as stature or blood type, based on genetic and environmental influences. An individual or group of organisms exhibiting a particular phenotype.

PHOTOPERIOD: The duration of an organism's daily exposure of light, considered especially with regard to the effect of the exposure on growth and development.

PHOTOSYNTHESIS: The process in green plants and certain other organisms by which carbohydrates are synthesized from carbon dioxide and water using light as an energy source. Most forms of photosynthesis release oxygen as a byproduct.

PHOTOTROPISM: The tendency of growing plants organs to move or curve under the influence of light. In ordinary use the term is synonymous with heliotropism.

PHYLLOTAXY: The arrangement of leaves on a stem.

PHYTOCHROME: A cytoplasmic pigment of green plants that absorbs light and regulates dormancy, seed germination, and flowering.

PIGMENT: A substance used for coloring. A substance , such as chlorophyll that produces a characteristic color in plant tissue.

PISTIL: The female, ovule-bearing organ of a flower, including the stigma, style, and ovary.

PISTILLATE: Having one or more pistols. having pistils but no stamens; pistillate flowers.

POLLEN: the fine powderlike material consisting of pollen grains that is produced by the anthers of seed plants.

POLLINATE: To transfer pollen from an anther to the stigma of (a flower)

POLYPLOID: Having one or more extra sets of chromosomes: a polyploid species; a polyploid cell.

PRE-FLOWERING: Calyx development before flowering. Also called Primordia.

PROGENY: Offspring or descendants considered as a group.

PUNNETT SQUARE: In genetics, a type of grid used to show the gametes of each parent and their possible offspring; a type of grid that can indicate all the possible outcomes of a genetic cross.

PURE BREED: See IBL

RACE: See landrace.

RADICLE: The part of a plant embryo that develops into a root.

RANDOM MATING: Mating without selective pressures.

RECESSIVE: Tending to go backward or recede. Of, or relating to, or designating an allele that does not produce a characteristic effect when present with a dominant allele. Of or relating to a trait that is expressed only when the determining allele is present in the homozygous condition.

REGENERATE: To flower the plant again after harvest. Also called rejuvenation, reflowering or revegetation.

SEEDLING: A young plant that is grown from seed.

SEXING: Determining your plants gender.

SEXUAL REPRODUCTION: Relating to, produced by, or involving reproduction that occurs with the union of male and female gametes, as in seed production.

SHOOT: A young branch or growth.

SINSEMILLA: Unpollinated female buds.

STAGNANT: A term used to describe growth stunting because of a problem.

STAMEN: The pollen-producing reproductive organ of a flower, usually consisting of a filament and an anther.

STAMINATE: Having stamens but lacking pistils.

STEM: The main ascending axis of a plant; a stalk or trunk.

STIPULE: One of the usually small, paired appendages at the base of a leafstalk

STOMA/STOMATA: One of the minute pores in the epidermis of a leaf or stem through which gases and water vapor pass. Also called stomate.

TAPROOT: The main root of a plant, usually stouter than the lateral roots and growing straight downward from the stem.

TERPENE/TERPINOIDS: Any of various unsaturated hydrocarbons, C10H16, found in plants and used in organic syntheses.

TETRAPLOID: Having four times the haploid number of chromosomes in the cell nucleus.

THC: A compound, C21H30O2, obtained from cannabis or made synthetically, that is the primary intoxicant in marijuana and hashish.

TRANSLOCATION: A transfer of a chromosome segment to a new position, especially on a nonhomologous chromosome. A chromosome segment that is translocated.

TRANSPIRATION: The emmision of water vapor from the leaves of plants.

TRICHOME: A mushroom shaped cannabinoid caontaining outgrowth on the pistil of a cannabis plant.

TRIPLOID: Having three times the haploid number of chromosomes in the cell nucleus.

TRUE-BREEDING: See IBL

WHORLED PHYLLOTAXY: Having more than two branches form at the same axis area.

XYLEM: The supporting and water-conducting tissue of vascular plants, consisting primarily of tracheids and vessels; woody tissue.

ZYGOTE: The cell resulting from the union of an ovum and a spermatozoon (including the organism that develops from that cell).

Last edited:
I’ll add one of my favorite posts about the story of how “Cinderella 99” or “C99” came to be. It has plenty of useful information and is also a little history lesson at the same time. It discusses the process of cubing a clone.

This is a cut and paste I had saved on my computer…if someone knows the source please PM me and provide a link so I can give credit where credit is due.

Cinderella Story...

I've been seeing a lot of posts from people asking for the "Cinderella Story", so here it is:
In 1997, I (MrSoul) discovered a few seeds in a bud of Jack Herer I bought @ "Sensi Smile" coffeeshop in Amsterdam while there to buy seeds. I didn't expect much when I grew them, but one of those seeds from the JH bud produced a very special female that I call "Princess".

Therefore Princess' mother was a Jack Herer (IF we can believe what Sensi Smile printed on the package) and her father is a totally unidentified mystery plant.

I also got 2 more females (Genius & Cafe'Girl) & several males from those seeds. I used pollen from one of the males on a heavy-yielding, dense, resinous ShivaSkunk (from Sensi Seedbank) female, then grew the resulting seeds to get males to produce pollen to cross Princess with, beginning the cubing process.

The first generation of seeds from Princess were called P.50 because they were 50% Princess. I used males from the P.50 generation to back-cross to Princess to get P.75 and again back-crossed with the P.75 pollen to get P.88 and again with the P.88 pollen to get P.94 which is "Cinderella 99", a cubed version of Princess.

The name "Cinderella" was chosen because of the parallels between this story and the well-known fairy tale in which Cinderella becomes a Princess despite her humble beginning.

MrSoul

"Princess is a female which resulted from a seed found in a Jack Herer bud I bought in Amsterdam near the Sensi Seed Bank at "Coffeeshop Sensi Smile". The bud came in a 2 gr. cello-pack with the Sensi logo; I expected sinsemilla, but it had about 10 seeds so I assume she's an F2 JH. Her characteristics were so fine I wanted to create seeds that would "replicate" this plant. She has the KILLER Haze-influenced high with the most DELICIOUS pineapple/evil scent, 50 day maturation in 12/12, and incredible resin production, doesn't stretch - yet clearly Sativa-dominant! Last but not least: Never a hint of hermaphrodism after 2 years of cloning & many different styles of grow.

I wanted to "cube" Princess but add a little beef to her branches because the buds were always too heavy at harvest and branches needed staking to keep from flopping over. I crossed my ShivaSkunk female with one of the males from the same group of seeds that Princess came from. THIS cross produced a male which was then crossed to Princess, creating "P.50" (using a shorthand notation I developed to indicate the fraction of Princess genes in the cross).
Each generation is the result of crossing a male from the previous generation to Princess herself (incestuous, I know).
Blow-by-blow description of the generations:
P.50 = Heavy, single-cola type plants with mellow high (too much influence from the ShivaSkunk) Sweet fruity scent/flavor. Unstable in most traits - for example, 10 days difference in fastest/slowest maturation period in a group of 20 seedlings.
P.75 = Plants leaning MUCH more in the direction of Princess in floral cluster and bud structure, scent/flavor turned more "tropical" like pineapple. The stability was becoming better - two major phenotypes; short & dense (potent too) or tall/HUGE (Not so potent).
P.88 = Renamed Cinderella 88 when first released on the market. It grows fast and produces excellent yields of FROSTY buds in 7 weeks! Generally uniform seedlings with minor differences in floral formation and some height variance, but the smoke is quite consistent from all plants - Dense, heavy nuggets of fruity scented & flavored (like wild berries) and covered in resin glands, the dried buds have distinctly ORANGE pistils.
And now P.94 = Cinderella 99. This project has been a huge success. The strain has been embraced by the "net"work of growers with rave reviews.

"I personally think the plants these Cinderella 99 seeds produce are every bit as good as a cutting from Princess herself (or better).
I say better because the flavor of no two plants is "identical"; there's a personality to all living things. Like Princess herself, Cinderella is sweet & fruity to the palette and nose, and when you take a hit you're BLASTED...with the same "racy" high as Princess!
The improvement comes in the yield department; 25% greater yield and a stronger branch structure, which I accomplished by starting with some ShivaSkunk genes in the original father in the cubing process.
I knew I'd blend out the majority of the traits from ShivaSkunk in the cubing process, but I was hoping to incorporate the ShivaSkunk's stronger branches because Princess had a tendency to need supports in the final two weeks of flowering. As it turns out, I got lucky and it worked.
The name suits the strain IMO - it's a true Cinderella Story." - MrSoul

"Jack Herer is an unstable strain bred from an unequal combination of Sk#1, NL#5, and Haze. Crossing a male and female Jack Herer creates an F2 generation which has a HUGE number of possible recombinations of the genes. I grew out some Jack Herer F2s and discovered a SPECIAL one, "Princess", which has many improvements on the original JH such as a shorter flowering time, denser bud structure and pineapple scent/flavour. I have been continually back crossing Princess with her male offspring (generation after generation) which eventually creates a stabilized strain having her special characteristics found reliably in most females grown from those seeds. Each generation is composed of a 50% genetic contribution from Princess (since she's the seed parent) and a 50% contribution from the pollen parent (which also has an increasing percentage of Princess' genetics with each generation). The progression goes: P.50, P.75, P.88, P.94, and P.97...at that point it's considered stabilized (a male and female P.97 can be crossed and the offspring are essentially the same as the parents). I have been VERY pleased with the way this project is going; even the P.75 generation was rather stable in the sense that the individuals were all rather uniform and HIGH quality. ...So, you see, since I have combined genes from Sk#1, NL#5, and Haze, creating a plant which has characteristics distinctly different than Jack Herer, and I'm creating a stable strain from this plant... it's legitimately MY work." - MrSoul

"Each generation exhibited a MAJOR jump in potency (P.50 was rather mellow)...P.75 has a well-balanced body/mind high with a citrus flavour, Cinderella 88 is cerebral & paralyzing with a tropical fruit flavour, and Cinderella 99 is "TRIP WEED"...with more of the fruity flavour and speedy effect from Princess." - MrSoul

"...Princess smells very much like pineapple both during flowering and when dried, but there's this "evil" scent in it too, like rotting meat, which has been linked with the most devastating weed (notably the Durban/Thai hybrid from SSSC, years ago). The taste is connoisseur quality when it's cured; VERY fruity. The high is almost too intense for a lot of people; Dr. Atomic actually refused to smoke any on our second meeting, after getting rather "hazed and confused" on the first sampling we did together a couple of weeks before, so he decided to try Shiva Skunk and found that more mellow and to his liking. Two hits of Princess will induce your body to tremble involuntarily and your heart to race and paranoid thoughts... very much like Haze, but not quite as intense. It also has a "creeper" quality that makes it easy to over-indulge...you get progressively higher during the first 10 minutes after smoking. Look at the May '98 issue of High Times' centerfold and find "Yellow Cab"...that's EXACTLY what the finished Princess buds look like. The "frosting" of stalked, capitate trichomes on the flowers and smaller leaves gives them a "furry" appearance much like Haze."
MrSoul

"I'd personally advise you to "top" the C-99's at their 4th branch set (about 3-4 weeks old) then when the branches grow to be about a foot long (about 6-8 weeks old) you should flower them. You'll know which plants are female BEFORE you ever switch the light cycle to 12/12. Cinderella plants always show preflowers at the 5-7 branch sets during the VEGETATIVE stage... when they're a little over a month old. Mr Soul "

(MrSoul is probably most famous for originating "Cinderella 99" aka "Cindy 99")

[as related in an internet post by "MrSoul", June 2000]

"...Bros Grimm have been employing a method called "Cubing a Clone" to create strains from unique female plants for years now.

Read the following and you'll understand:

Cubing a clone is a way to create a unique seedline (a “strain”) modelled after a currently existing female individual.

The goal is to create seeds from which the females replicate the phenotype of the original female.

Obviously the chosen female should be an outstanding specimen.

Procedure:
CONTINUOUSLY KEEP A MOTHER IN THE VEGETATIVE STATE TO PROVIDE CLONES

1. Pollinate a flowering clone of the original female with the pollen of a related male, preferably her father or a brother. The resulting seeds contain 1/2 the original female's genes and 1/2 those of the male. An unrelated male won’t have the Y-chromosome of the chosen female’s family & therefore any Y-linked traits of the family will always be missing in the seedline.

2. Grow the above seeds & flower them. Collect an equal quantity of pollen from each selected male and mix it together.

3. Pollinate a flowering clone of the original female with the above pollen. These seeds contain 1/2 the original female’s genes plus 1/4 more because the male used was 1/2 her genetics too. I call this generation “.75” to capture the idea that it’s 3/4 of the original female’s genetics.

4. Grow the above seeds & flower them. Collect an equal quantity of pollen from each selected male and mix it together.

5. Pollinate a flowering clone of the original female with the above pollen. These seeds contain 7/8 the original genes (1/2+3/8), the ".88" generation.

6. Grow the above seeds & flower them.
Collect an equal quantity of pollen from each selected male and mix it together.

7. Pollinate a flowering clone of the original female with the above pollen. These seeds contain 15/16 the original genes (1/2+7/16), the ".94" generation.

Theoretically, this will be a stable, true-breeding seedline from which all females are replicas of the original. "

December,1999, internet post by MrSoul]

"...
Apollo 13 = Genius/ P75 and is very popular despite my only having created about 500 seeds.

Apollo 11 = Genius/ C99....[*]

Note both have the SAME mother -
"Genius" which is a sister of Princess, although you'd hardly see a family resemblance.

Genius is lemon-scented, rather like Lemon Pledge furniture polish actually.
Her high is not speedy like Princess', it's a "happy high".
As a plant, Genius is a pleasure to flower, producing heavier yields than Princess with similarly resinous floral clusters shaped less like Princess' "braids" and more like a dense cone of sparkling, tightly-packed calyxes & pistils bursting out from between little leaves bristling with stalked glands.
Very sticky and pungent smelling. She matures rapidly, finishing in 7 weeks and when the buds are manicured (very easy) and dried, Genius' final product is true "eye candy" to behold.

The father plant used in Apollo 13 was the same as was used to create Cinderella 88.

The father plant used to create Apollo 11 was the same as was used to make the current generation of C99, i.e., P94. [wayback in December of 1999 when written by Soul]

(*)This (Genius) male was responsible for adding considerable yield to the current Cinderella 99, i.e., P97 generation..."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
IMB Note,
"Vic High" once offered the suggestion to Soul to pollinate individual branches with individuals pollen to test males, a method which soul eventually evolved to (?) instead of his original "shake and bake" method of male selection...
A little luck never hurt a damn thing, a lot of luck can be a beautiful thing, especially in Las Vegas when rolling dice and also apparently when breeding seeds...

well regardless of his breeding methodologies, the bottom line is he certainly got some big time positive results, it worked for him.
The "Brothers Grimm" cannabis strains will not soon be forgotten, thats for sure.
As Granny used to say "The proof of the pudding is in eating it".
That means that the true value or quality of something can only be judged when it's put to use and tried and tested.

Sup Johnny Chimpo (The shnozberries taste like shnozberries!... Love that movie by the way...)

With the amount of "pollen chucking" I've seen I think it is important to stress the importance of selection in large numbers for true breeding projects. You really need more than a 10 pack of a strain to see it's true potential especially if you're if it's breeding material.

Nice idea this thread might get interesting... stoned regards,
CVS

Last edited:
Welcome CVS...thanks for sharing...I wholeheartedly agree with your statement on large numbers. Whether selections are made with one large crop or over many smaller ones the numbers are important IMO.

JC

Last edited:

raygun

Hey Johnny I look forwards to some knowlege to be passed around here!
I have been thinking about this #'s thing and I agree and disagree on the 10 pack of seed thing. Every story of historic weed has been "...found few# seeds in a killer bag of herb...." I have yet to hear ".... purchased 100 thousand seeds(total exageration) of "X brand" and found this super strain...."

Now once you have your "super strain" then your #'s come in to factor if you are looking to reproduce that in a seed form.

If you have so much variation in a seed line that you need that many seeds to find a great plant or a good representaion of the clone, i do not know if it is worth it? Or perhaps you are working with completely untested new polyhybrid that has you fixated, who knows, but that is an adventure that you have to ask yourself if it is worth it.
Just my personal opinon.

I always love reading that c-99 story.

Hey I'll throw in a question.
When taking a clone to a seed line for personal preservation, If you outcross first, due to lack of a male of the same strain, and then use the sucessive f1 males from that outcross to backcross to your clone you will end up cubing.
If you have the male and cross those now then you have f2's from your pack of seeds and then if you take those f2 males and backcross to your clone you get a closer %cubed seed line correct?

If i took those inital outcrossed f1's and continued to cross those together for sucessive fx generations will they end up as stable in seed form as the cubed ones?

Or is the sucessive f generations only able to be stable once a clone is cubed to a stable seed line(IBL)? Like some c-99 seed lines are now on f5+ and such.
Thanks
~Raygun~ :wave:

Last edited:

raygun

Is anybody out there.....
Question.
When taking a clone to a seed line for personal preservation, If you outcross first, due to lack of a male of the same strain, and then use the sucessive f1 males from that outcross to backcross to your clone you will end up cubing.
If you have the male and cross those now then you have f2's from your pack of seeds and then if you take those f2 males and backcross to your clone you get a closer %cubed seed line correct?

If i took those inital outcrossed f1's and continued to cross those together for sucessive fx generations will they end up as stable in seed form as the cubed ones?

Or is the sucessive f generations only able to be stable once a clone is cubed to a stable seed line(IBL)? Like some c-99 seed lines are now on f5+ and such.
I would think that going the Fx route would end up giving you more diversity with in your seeds possitive or negative, I don't know but that is why i am asking.
Thanks
~Raygun~

More on Cubing.

More on Cubing.

From The Cannabis Breeders Bible ~by Greg Green

CUBING

Cubing is a type of selective breeding that has gained some popularity among breeders but has disadvantages in that it does not selectively stabilize traits or make a strain more uniform in growth.* Cubing involves a certain amount of random mating and is used mainly to create desirable females or mother plants in populations that are too small to be adequate for proper selections. Smaller breeding outfits will probably use cubing to find sought-after mother plants.

In the F1 offspring all the pollen from the males are extracted and put into one container. All of the male pollen is then used in a backcross with the mother plant to produce the first backcross progeny. In the offspring you should find a good clone mother or in a future offspring by repeating this methodology – cubing. The problem is that the male that contributes to this clone mother female is unknown and so the process can not be repeated. The procedure is as follows:

In the F1 select that is desirable and backcross this female with her father to create the offspring. Collect all the pollen from the males in this offspring and use all this pollen to pollinate the mother plant that contributed to this offspring. Grow out the offspring and keep repeating the process until a very desirable female is found.

Obviously cubing is not really breeding and anything you hear about cubing being able to stabilize traits is false (it can happen that a trait is stabilized, or a number of traits are stabilized, through cubing, but this occurs by accident and is not selective breeding). Cubing is just a way to generate mother plants in small populations.

A myth has been going around that cubing can create male parents for popular clones that do not have a male version. This is false and is just a sales gimmick. Cubing does not create males from a popular clone nor can cubing be used to create a standard seed format that is somewhat like 75% to 90% of the popular clone. It simply doesn’t do that.

*except by accident

Last edited:
Hybrid Offspring

Hybrid Offspring

Had this saved on my computer...from another thread on I.C...not sure who originally posted it.

Robert Clarke , from marijuana botany

Occasionally hybrid offspring will prove inferior to both parents, but the first generation may still contain recessive genes for a favorable characteristic seen in a parent if the parent was homozygous for that trait. First generation (F1) hybrids are therefore inbred to allow recessive genes to recombine and express the desired parental trait. Many breeders stop with the first cross and never realize the genetic potential of their strain. They fail to produce an F2 generation by crossing or self-pollinating F1 offspring. Since most domestic Cannabis strains are F1 hybrids for many characteristics, great diversity and recessive recombination can result from inbreeding domestic hybrid strains. In this way the breeding of the F1 hybrids has already been accomplished, and a year is saved by going directly to F2 hybrids. These F2 hybrids are more likely to express recessive parental traits. From the F2 hybrid generation selections can be made for parents which are used to start new true-breeding strains. Indeed, F2 hybrids might appear with more extreme characteristics than either of the P~ parents. (For example, P1 high-THC X P1 low-THC yields F1 hybrids
of intermediate THC content. Selfing the F1 yields F2 hybrids, of both P1 [high and low THC] phenotypes, intermediate F1 phenotypes, and extra-high THC as well as extra-low THC phenotypes.)

JC

Brownpants

This was posted by Octavian on another thread here at IC.
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=38851&page=1&pp=15

Chimera
loose cannon

Overgrow Sponsor

Hi Beast

you’ve just discovered the biggest myth (IMNSHO) of marijuana breeding- it is a mistake that almost EVERYONE makes (including many of the most respected breeders!).

Backcrossing will not stabilize a strain at all- it is a technique that SHOULD be used to reinforce or stabilize a particular trait, but not all of them.

For e.g.- G13 is a clone, which I would bet my life on is not true breeding for every, or even most traits- this means that it is heterozygous for these traits- it has two alleles (different versions of a gene). No matter how many times you backcross to it, it will always donate either of the two alleles to the offspring. This problem can be compounded by the fact that the original male used in the cross (in this case hashplant) may have donated a third allele to the pool- kinda makes things even more difficult!

So what does backcrossing do?
It creates a population that has a great deal of the same genes as the mother clone. From this population, if enough plants are grown, individuals can be chosen that have all the same traits as the mother, for use in creating offspring that are similar (the same maybe) as the original clone.
Another problem that can arise is this- there are three possibilities for the expression of a monogenic (controlled by one gene pair) trait.

We have dominant, recessive, and co-dominant conditions.

In the dominant condition, genotypically AA or Aa, the plants of these genotypes will look the same (will have the same phenotype, for that trait).

Recessive- aa will have a phenotype

Co-dominant- Aa- these plants will look different from the AA and the aa.

A perfect example of this is the AB blood types in humans:

Type A blood is either AA or AO
Type B blood is either BB or BO
Type AB blood is ONLY AB
Type O blood is OO.

In this case there are three alleles (notated A, B, and O respectively).

If the clone has a trait controlled by a co-dominant relationship- i.e. the clone is Aa (AB in the blood example) we will never have ALL plants showing the trait- here is why:

Suppose the clone mother is Aa- the simplest possibility is that the dad used contributes one of his alleles,
let us say A. That mean the boy being use for the first backcross is either AA or Aa. We therefore have two possibilities:

1) If he is AA- we have AA X Aa- 50% of the offspring are AA, 50% are Aa. (you can do the punnett square to prove this to yourself).

In this case only 50% of the offspring show the desired phenotype (Aa genotype)!

2) If the boy being used is Aa- we have Aa X Aa (again do the punnett square) this gives a typical F2 type segregation- 25% AA, 50% Aa, and 25% aa.
This shows that a co-dominant trait can ONLY have 50% of the offspring showing the desired trait (Aa genotype) in a backcross.

If the phenotype is controlled by a dominant condition- see example #1- all 100% show the desired phenotype, but only 50% will breed true for it.

If the phenotype is controlled by a recessive condition- see example #2- only 25% will show the desired phenotype, however if used for breeding these will all breed true if mated to another aa individual.

Now- if the original dad (hashplant) donates an 'a' allele, we only have the possibilities that the offspring, from which the backcross boy will be chosen, will be either Aa or aa.
For the Aa boy, see #2.
For the aa boy (an example of a test cross, aa X Aa) we will have:
50% aa offspring (desired phenotype), and 50% Aa offspring.

Do you see what is happening here? Using this method of crossing to an Aa clone mother, we can NEVER have ALL the offspring showing the desired phenotype! Never! Never ever ever! Never!! LOL

The ONLY WAY to have all the offspring show a Aa phenotype is to cross an AA individual with an aa individual- all of the offspring from this union will be the desired phenotype, with an Aa genotype.

Now, all of that was for a Aa genotype for the desired phenotype. It isn't this complicated if the trait is AA or aa. I hope this causes every one to re-evaluate the importance of multiple backcrosses- it just doesn't work to stabilize the trait!

Also- that was all for a monogenic trait! What if the trait is controlled by a polygenic interaction or an epistatic interaction- it gets EVEN MORE complicated? AARRGH!!!!

Really, there is no need to do more than 1 backcross. From this one single backcross, as long as we know what we are doing, and grow out enough plants to find the right genotypes, we can succeed at the goal of eventually stabilizing most, if not all of the desired traits.

The confusion arises because we don't think about the underlying biological causes of these situations- to really understand this; we all need to understand meiosis.

We think of math-e.g. 50% G13, 50% hashplant

Next generation 50% G13 x 50% g13hp or (25% G13, 25%HP)

We interpret this as an additive property:
50% G13 + 25% G13 +25% HP = 75% G13 and 25% hashplant

This is unfortunately completely false- the same theory will apply for the so called 87.%% G13 12.5% HP next generation, and the following 93.25% G13, 6.25% HP generation; we'd like it to be true as it would make stabilizing traits fairly simple, but it JUST DOESN'T work that way. The above is based on a mathematical model, which seems to make sense- but it doesn't- we ignore the biological foundation that is really at play.

I hope this was clear, I know it can get confusing, and I may not have explained it well enough- sorry if that is the case, I'll try to clear up any questions or mistakes I may have made.

Have fun everyone while making your truebreeding varieties, but just remember that cubing (successive backcrosses) is not the way to do it!
-Chimera

Last edited:

OriginalMan

I have to say that this is very interesting...as I'm very interested in making f2's of some strains, then diving into those for further selection, then maybe some of my own home crosses :joint:

raygun

Nice! good to read quotes from authorities on the subject.
So then as a self preservationist seed maker it would be best if looking to get as close to your clone mom in a seed form to outcross or incross(if you have a male version) your clone mother then do one back cross and from there take your bx1's and incross those for f2,f3s... of the bx1 and look for plants that show the traits you want. This will allow you to see all the traits in the offspring of the bx1 f2's and pick what you like and make f3's
Now if the point is to get back to a similar stabelized pheno of your clone mom when would you take your f generation and do another back cross to the mother to introduce more of her genetics to the mix. or would you keep on with teh sucessive f generations.
How did C-99 get to fx+ generations with some seed companies?

Thanks.
~Raygun~

Dr_Tre

Thanks for bumping, Darwinsbulldog!Really great read.I had never read an article by Chimera, this one really cleared things a lot to me.:thank you: