What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Just to dispell a myth....

G

http://www.erowid.org/plants/cannabis/cannabis_writings4.shtml
Resin itself, or an abundance of resin glands, is not a good indictator of potency. A mj variety may have copious amounts of resin and still be nearly worthless for smoking; another variety may have little apparent resin, but it may be super-potent. This is because much of the resin is made up of inactive ingredients, and the resin might contain mostly inactive cannaboids. Also, the active cannaboids (THC,THCV, etc.) are only necessary in amounts small enough that they may not be major components in the resin. Surprisingly, the few scientific studies that have compared the concentration of resin glands or resin to potency have found that the concentration of resin glands was negatively correlated with the potency (in other words, the fact that a variety of mj is resinous or has a lot of resin glands has little to do with its potency) Experience connoissers actually may look for a non-resinous but very potent variety - who need cough inducing resin if it doesn't add to the high?

RawMaterial

It also depends on the type of trichome on the plant. If there's a buttload of Bulbous trichomes(the smaller kind) then no, it may not be as potent as it looks. But generally trichome coverage is always a good indicator of potency and most importantly, the health of the plant and buds. While it's true trichomes contain many non-psychoactive chemicals in them, they also contain some amount of THC as well. If a plant has a ton of capitate-stalked trichomes(the larger kind) on it, chances are it'll have high THC values. THC(resin) is the defense mechanism of the plant from the light and heat, so as long as the plant gets a lot of both it will end up with a lot of trichome coverage which will lead to more and more THC. And of course, drying and curing of buds are both factors to how potent the ending smoke result will be. I've smoked damp, non-cured buds many times that looked incredibly potent but ended up being pretty weak so I'd cure them for 20ish days and they would turn out to be much more potent. So there are quite a few factors in play here.

But yeah, I agree that you can't completely tell if buds are potent just by looking at the resin on them but it's definitely not a bad sign either. Obviously the best test will always be smoking or vaping the buds to see for yourself.

Last edited:
G

sirharrynuggz said:
Higher quality, more melty.
well just because there's a lot of resin (meltyness?) doesn't mean there's a lot of thc in there or cbds etc. that was the point of the article i guess

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just because a plant shows alot of frost doesnt mean its going to be melty.

zamalito

Veteran
The reason hash on average has a higher oil content when you start with material that has a higher oil content is part of the nature of hash making. Its simply easier to collect glandheads when there's a higher concentration of them in the gland material. Also larger glands tend to produce hash that is more "melty" because you have to collect fewer of them to gather up a larger mass of oil. However oil content of hashish is not thc purity. If one plant produces oils that are 30% pure thc thay hashish one collects could be 90% pure resin and reach 27% thc that bubbles well. However if another plant produces resin that is 55% thc a resin collection that is polluted 50% with dust and leaf matter which doesn't bubble at all will still be slightly more potent.

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Bubble is very strain specific. You cannot tell if the hash is going to bubble by the size of the trichome nor by how frosty the plant looks.

Verite

My little pony.. my little pony
Veteran
Montreal Jazz said:
whats melty?

" Im MELTY!!! "

wizard_of_oz_melting_witch_door_stop_lg.jpg

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
with my ww the full melt factor only become apparent when i have let the buds get fully and totally ripe (10 weeks) then the bubble can be fmcd, if, that is, i also take the right amount of care in making the bubble hash. but yes, it is also very much strain dependent. some strains will never make melty bubble, while others do it all the time if done right.

Latest posts

Latest posts