What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

When to harvest?

Hi , its been a long time since my last post, its a good sign i guess [= things are going good and i think im about to finish my first grow, the buds are fat and about 20% of the flowers hairs are brown .
when should i harvest?

any harvesting tips are welcome since this will be the first time im harvesting.

G

First off, go to Radio Shack and get the $10 microscope and look at the trich's.

When your trich's are colored to your liking (do a search for trich color and such, there is a lot of debate on what % of cloudy/clear/amber to pick at).

I'm no pro at this (4 grows so far 3 successfull) so I'll let the more informed posters handle the details, but I've found that pistil color only gives me a good indication of when to start looking at trich's rather than when to harvest.

Here is a good thread to read on this
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=50067

Last edited:

glock23

one in the chamber
Veteran
Maleko's right on the money. The Radio Shack microscope is exactly what you want. :)

People used to go by pistil color. 50-80% brown = chop. Nowadays we look at the trichomes. Again, people have different preferences (even for different phenotypes within a strain) in regards to when to chop.

Last edited:

Deft

Get two birds stoned at once
Veteran
If you have a microscope around they are generaly better than the hand held one if you grow inside, but the portability of the radio shack one is great its just not as clear and crisp as my microscope.

What would u guys do if u couldn't get a magnification ?
i dont have any money left and i can't sheep to my country...
iv been told i can harvest when 60% of the hairs are brown is that true?
thanks for the help guys

pieceofmyheart

Veteran
Oh hun, this is a controversial subject at best. How long have they been in flower? Can you post up any pics?

I have the radio shack microscope but it is hard to use. I intend to buy a jewelry loupe soon so I can check buds and not leaves.

There are some other things to go by. Have they stopped fattening up? Do they seem as if they are just staying the same? Are the old fan leaves looking tired and dying out? New white pistils forming?

Now these are not fool proof but can help give you an indication of how ready they are.

Hi
i dont know the exact time of the flowering but i would say about 40 days
i astimate 20% of the gairs are brown
ill keep an eye on them to see if they still fatning up [=
lots of the old fan leaves on one of my females (i have two ) are dead or yellow i guess she's not that healthy but the buds look great ... the other female also lost a few fan leaves...
i know its hard for u to tall without a pic ..ill try to make some photos tomorow with my cellphone

thanks a lot

pieceofmyheart

Veteran
In late flowering it is normal for the old leaves to turn yellow and wither, as long as your buds are looking good, thats fine right there.

40 days is quick, I am not up on all the strains of course but most seem to need more like 60 days or so in flower to complete. Those last few weeks can really add weight to your buds too, so you don't to cut too soon.

Keep us updated hun

Last edited:
that sure is relaxing [=

is it normal for them to drink hell of a lot water? somthing like liter a day !
i am watering only when the soil is dry ofcours but it seems to get dry fast !

Deft

Get two birds stoned at once
Veteran
Plants can go through a lot of water once they are established! I soak the soil every day only to have it be allmost dry the next!

Hey BW,

You growing Black Widow? If so, 75-90 days of blooming. Worth the wait.

Or, pick a small bud and taste it.

peace, love, understanding ;-)

The first grow of any new strain is an experiment. Only you know what you want out of your smoke. Harvest time is variable depending on the strain and the type of buzz you like.

So, if you cut a small bud, it will not grow up to be a large bud. If you keep doing it, you will have no final harvest. But you will perhaps have an idea of when to harvest next time. (Moderation)

40 days is fast for most strains. What ya growing?

peace, love, etc