What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Security Camera DVR System - recommendations?

T

THCV

I need to set up security cameras around my grow location with a DVR and motion sensing, and ideally remote secure internet access. Main thing is i want to be able to see who was around when i wasn't.

Anyone using something that they can really recommend? There are a lot of options out there, but i was kinda overwhelmed and i figure what ICM folks are using is probably the best bet. Let's hear it. Thanks.

THCV

M

Mr. Nevermind

Go to smarthome.com They have a large selection of cameras and security systems.

Nevermind

Chester

And whatever you do, make sure you always enter the location without revealing your face to your own camera. Or have a means of shutting the system or camera down before you enter.

If it means walking-up with your face turned and a ball cap on, then do it.

If your location ever got busted, the cops would be laughing their asses off at the neat & tidy evidence provided for them...

:cool:

T

THCV

really great point chester! i wonder if any of these systems allow you to record across the web, offsite so that it isn't there if you get busted.

Verite

My little pony.. my little pony
Veteran
No cameras needed.

doberman-pinscher-0030.jpg

doberman-pinscher-0001.jpg

D

DB2004

I am very familiar with these types of systems and equipment. You can use a keychain remote, keypad, etc. to turn off and on your system. It would be easy to configure your system to not record you on your system. I can give you more detail if you send me a PM. Smarthome.com and Supercircuits.com are two great places for this type of equipment. Dogs are great prevention, unless you toss them a sirloin steak filled with Valiums....

Best Regards

DB

Last edited:

Reg Dunlop

In Canada Animal Control has more rights then Cops do to enter a premise without a warrant if there is a tip of any kind of animal creulty going on.They came to my door one day when I lived in the city,because they got a report of a "vicious dog" residing at my residence.They demanded to see my dogs,so I showed them,at which time the lady said that I was in direct violation of the vicious dog act,and that I had a month to get insurance for my dogs or they would be taken away.Also my name would be entered into a database of other vicious dog owners.I believe there were a few other dogs on that list which included Rottis,german sheperds,pitbulls,and dobermans.After finding out the price of insurance,and the thought of being in a database,I promptly moved back to the boonies!As a personal preference I would much rather use cameras,instead of dogs on the plain fact that if something bad were to ever happen,I would want to minimize the risk of my dog getting shot,just based on whta they look like.They do a good job of protecting my house,but as far as them protecting my grow...I think I'll just leave them at home and go with cameras aswell.

Reg,

Reg Dunlop

Actually,in most provinces you are allowed,just Ontario,if you have an exsisting pitbull,then it needs to be spaded,or nutered.Then in certain municipalities,they have some sort of bylaw against certain dogs but if you don't live within city limits they don't usually bother you.It's all garbage as far as I'm concerned!

Reg,

badboyg

its not just canada,,,

I had a chat with my agent a few years bad,,

you see the "inspector" decided to visit the house to make sure it was still standing and insurable or some shit,,, well normaly someone is home.. this ass acessed my yard and had a good look around.. and never knocked on the door or anything,, may have even left gate open,,, or did he hop the fence (i forget)

which when I bitched to my agent and asked "what IF i had a big mean dog in my yard and he got hurt... was flatly told I would loose my insurance for having a VIOLENT DOG,,, and have to deal with a hurt person.. I told him, BS he was tresspasssing.. and maybe he will get shot next time... I was told they would try to notify me next time,,,,, the corp people have no valuse on your privacey or personal peoperty

the LEO's of the world do not want you to have ANY defences,, anything thats hinders them has to go...

Uncle Jesse

I Havent had any Problems yet with security !

I Havent had any Problems yet with security !

fenced in and locked gate. Never put a sign up that says beware of dog ! unless you don't have a dog .this will indicate you know you have a vicious dog, thats how police and insurance company's see it. and all you have to do to have a good dog is Feed it,Water it
play with it and show it love, and when it comes to you let it know your happy it's there with you !
maybe dog beyond this point . this is my dogs yard, dog on property, works ,
heavy doors with dead bolts and door jams, out side motion lights with remote sensors set at different levels, so cats and dogs don't set em off.Window locks, just some thaughts. peace.
i should have a sign that says,
never mind the dog, it's the home owner you have to worry about :bat:

Last edited:

greeenroom

Be nice to hear from any that have a good security system. I have had good results with a motion sensor, remote control and siren with battery backup. Put the siren where it shrieks outside. Most will flee.

I am looking to upgrade to a system where it calls me or the cops during a break in. You see, the legal route of med (if applicable in your state) gives me the freedom to talk with the cops. They know about me, my meager 6, and appreciate me telling them. Prolly right up to the time that they knock on the door goddammmit.

resinryder

Rubbing my glands together
Veteran
Costco has a nice 8 camera set up they sale through online sales named QSee. The 8 camera(all with IR night vision) usually sales for around 800.00 with tax includes. They had a 16 camera setup bout a month ago for about 1000.00 if I remember correctly. They have them in the monthly mailers they send out to members about 3 to 4 times a year. The friend that installed mine(due to fukin crackheads) used to install them for a living and couldn't get over the quality of the system and said he couldn't find a comparable system on line for under 1500.00. The system is all hard wired. Wireless systems can be viewed by anyone with a little know how around the corner from your house! The dvr can be setup to record however you want and with an added 3 terabit drive will hold all the years of recordings you'd ever care to save and can be placed anywhere for stealth.. It can also be setup with added software to send over the internet to remote location, your cell phone, to the police or where ever you want it sent. Other add ons can also be incorporated to make it any way you want. BUT REMEMBER-IF YOU CAN SEE IT REMOTELY SO CAN ANYONE ELSE!!!