What's new

Cool tube reflector

G

Hey peeps :wave:

Just finishing up my new cabinet and need a few ideas on how to build a reflector for my cool-tubed 250w HPS...Seems like the area in front and behind the bulb itself (by the flexduct) doesnt get as much light as directly underneath the tube itself obviously

Any ideas on how to spread the light (love) evenly in my box...Thought about putting some of that aluminun foil tape on the top side of the tube, but wasnt too sure the glue would hold from the heat...Grow height is rather limited at 30" of vertical grow space

Thanks all and grow safe

clowntown

Veteran
added bold to link

added bold to link

If you can, get a sheet of reflective aluminum (preferably the textured ones used in reflectors, to reduce hot spots and spread light more evenly). But if not, you could build your own using a piece of sheet metal or something and painting it.

If possible, try to keep the reflective material INSIDE the glass to avoid what I call the "triple glass effect":

... since light intensity is lost through each pass of the glass. From the diameter of your tube, it doesn't look like you'll have space for the "V", but that design helps a bit as well in deflecting the light sideways so you don't lose some light that tries to reflect straight through the bulb.

These are some of the CoolTube designs commercially available:

Last edited:

guineapig

Veteran
Hey clowntown have you found a commercially available cooltube with the reflective
material on the inside so as to avoid the "triple glass effect?"

Hang on, i think i found one.....a hot new product:

http://www.wormsway.com/detail.asp?sku=MT118

"Great for confined spaces as well as quick-and-easy inline ventilation, the 18” Max Tube features a six-inch diameter, optional external reflectors and a pre-installed interior reflector that can be removed should you decide to position your Max Tube vertically. The Max Tube comes pre-wired with socket assembly and high-quality power cord. Eye hooks are also mounted for handy horizontal hanging."

:ying: kind regards from the guineapig :ying:

clowntown

Veteran
Correct; it's actually Hydrofarm's "Value Cool Tube", and more or less identical to the one sold by WormsWay up there. Most people want ~$100 for 'em, but MD Hydro has 'em for $60. From seeing "Kool Tube" on their website, I thought it was yet another replica but it's the real Hydrofarm, which comes with the side reflection panel options which is nice.

http://californiahydro.stores.yahoo.net/ht-reflectors.html

I'm currently using the CoolTube with the internal reflection insert for a 250w MH light for vegging, but in the future I want to try side lighting (vertically positioned bulb) with my 600w after a run or two in my Hydrotek Silver Star (horizontal).

The Hydrofarm CoolTube is 19" in total length, including the aluminum ends. The reflective insert is riveted onto the bar that the Mogul socket is mounted on. If you want to remove it (for air-cooled side lighting or whatever) so you'll either need to:

• Cut it off
  • Remove the rivet
  • Buy a 90 degree steel angle piece from a hardware store, cut (if necessary) and drill holes in the appropriate places to mount your socket. I believe this is the best option, so you can easily use the reflective insert again later if you want.

I don't have a camera yet, but I'm hoping to get that worked out by the end of the weekend. If/when that happens, I'll try to do an illustrated guide on modifying your CoolTube (including bulb centering ideas!). These will have you yelling "clowntown, pimp my CoolTube!"

Last edited:

icough2getoff

I tried that cheap way of putting aluminum tape on the top inside of my cooltube, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. It never seemed to be a good reflector to me and eventually I just realized the light was probably just bouncing straight back at the bulb.

BudZad7

:wave: Hi All ! Nice Info on cool tubes.......Now for a real nice setup,and a REAL NICE reflector setup......1= 8" Silverstar hood, and 1= 6" cooltube with
reflector removed....slip the cooltube into the 8" flange openings, and rig it to fit
use your imagination it's easy....the cord set comes out the top on the end, also there are different size cooltubes (18",24",etc,etc) measure the distance
in the Silverstar hood, and then decide which size is best..... :woohoo: So, you
can DIY, because the big company's are not...... :wave: Peace!

thelaughingman

cardboard wrapped with something reflective, sheet metal and chrome paint...just realized how old this thread it..ir baked

Latest posts

Latest posts