What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anyone ever use Master Nursery Root Master B-1?

G

If you do some research you will find that B1 by itself is not considered a rooting stimulant....

try to find something with IBA in it.....

its spelled something like this....

indolubutricacid.....

G

By Robert Cox, Horticulture Agent, Colorado State University Cooperative Extension

Many consumers assume that products on the store shelf must have been tested to prove their claims. Certainly, fertilizers have to meet nutrient content requirements, and pesticides are rigorously tested for safety before EPA registration.

For some other garden products, however, no such testing is required before sale to the public.

A good example is vitamin B1 (thiamine), often sold to "prevent transplant shock" and "stimulate new root growth" when planting trees, shrubs, roses and other plants. A study in the 1930's provided the basis for such claims. Pea roots cut off from the plant were placed in a culture medium in the laboratory.

The researchers knew that thiamine was normally found in roots, so they put thiamine in the culture medium and found that root growth did occur. Vitamin B1 is manufactured in 0lant leaves and sent to the roots, but if roots are cut off and placed in a petri plate, vitamin B1 stimulates growth of the roots when it saturates the culture medium.

Planting trees in a soil environment, however, is vastly different from a laboratory culture. Most important, gardeners aren't in the habit of cutting off the root system when planting. Several studies using intact mums, apple trees, orange trees, pine, tomato, beans, pepper, corn, pear, watermelon and squash have failed to demonstrate that vitamin B1 treatments provide any type of growth response.

Some "root stimulator" products contain a rooting hormone and fertilizer along with vitamin B1. These materials may increase rooting and growth, not the vitamin B1.

The bottom line: While root stimulator products are not necessary for transplant success, if you do use one, make sure it contains a rooting hormone and fertilizer rather than just vitamin B1. The vitamin B1 is for marketing purposes rather than actual effect.

Dan42nepa

this stuff has something called naphthalene acetic acid, vitamin B-1 Thiamine and hydrochloride. I also emailed the manufacturer because its supposed to be mixed with water and added to soil to promote rooting of plants and bushes. I'm actually trying it on a rose bush cutting but still dont trust it full strength to use with MJ cuttings. A waste of 7.00.. I'll go to loews and try and find a rooting powder or something today.

G

OK gotcha....

NAA is the actual active ingredient in superthrive....

So what you have is a generic superthrive...

What my opinion is....

NAA is better at making roots 'bushy' for lack of a better term...

IBA better for cloning....

MOre directly I would advise getting one of the gels if you use hormones....

Clonex is the only thing I use after trying other brands....

Last edited:
G

YOu might consider using your naa/b1 after your cutting has rooted.....

Dan42nepa

I constructed your cloner BTW... Its still not wicking water up into the vermiculite. Its been sitting in water since last night. It could be wet under the surface just not sure how far down.

G

I would say whatever wicking would happen pretty much in an hour....

So I would take the material out and examine it....

Your verm may not be as fine as mine is....

Ive got a vermiculite and my first try with fine perlite and the plants are very stable.....

The additional aeration of the perlight may either cause rooting faster....

or keep the stems in better condition longer....

Im anxious to see the results....

Im going to look at the plants next monday....

Dan42nepa

well actually my vermiculite is so fine some fell thru the little holes i drilled. This happened sunday and took a few hours to wick up.. I am going do dump it and rexamine the holes tommorow. It could be wicking just maybe not all the way to the top.