What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

HPS colors: how to fix them

G

Here's a lil tutorial on how to get the real colors from your pics, how to get rid of the yellow hps light.

there are several ways to do it:

1 : on your camera :

Most digital cameras give the possibility to choose a color space for pictures you shoot, or even better lets you define your own color space .
If you can choose from a list, choose the "tungsten/bulb" mode, that will correct the yellow light that common bulbs produce.It will make your pics significantly less yellow.
If you can define it, just use a normally white zone in your room (will appear yellow under the hps) as the standard grey point; that way, your camera will automatically compensate the yellow light.Best is to go look into your camera's manual.

2 : photoshop: if you have Photoshop, you have several ways to do it, I'll be using this pic :

a : RAW files : if your camera lets you shoot in RAW format, you want to use it for it gives you the best control over light/colors.Open your raw file in Photoshop and then slide the "temperature" slider to the middle left to make the photo bluer; you'll see this way you can really get those colors back.Jpeg doesn't allow you to do that.

b: JPEG file :I cannot tell of a good way to fix jpeg files unless you're in for a couple of hours of learning photoshop...Results will be less good than if you're using RAW format, but you still can do a little; I'm starting from this pic :

press ctrl+u to open the hue/saturation box, choose "yellow" in the drop down menu, slide the hue slider to the right ot make the yellow look green.adjust the saturation on its slider.

another method :

open the layer menu displayed on the screenshot, click "photo filter"

, choose a cooling blue filter and play with it's amount.

you can use levels by pressign ctrl+V (replace ctrl with apple key on macs) to enhance the contrast, or just darken/get rid of the HPS glow (by sliding the left and middle sliders to the right), and use the File/save for web menu to export and optimize your Jpeg for web.

The process is the same in other photo applications : just create a blue/green layer on top of your bud picture, put it in color mode and adjust its transparency.

this is some very basic tips that will not make the pics look great by themselves (though the raw format helps), but will still help you get rid of the hps light.Hope that helps, cheers.

G

hey man good idea.
I find this works on my pics really well except closeups.
With Jpeg in photoshop you need to adjust the curves if you can. Go to the top options choose Image - Adjustments - Curves. Then use the black white and Grey eye droppers.
~neilspotshop

Last edited:
G

guest5703

hey i gotta chime in this tutorial rocks bro good job and I thankyou!!!

70s_PotHead

Or you can just turn off your HPS lights while you take pix your plants wont mind :bashhead:

70s :joint:

teddybud

spreadin da love
Veteran
70s_PotHead said:
Or you can just turn off your HPS lights while you take pix your plants wont mind :bashhead:

70s :joint:
hahahhahahahahaha

pretty good tutorial though../. even though I just take the plants out from under the hps lol.

cannigrow

Thanks for taking hte time to post this man, good shit. I always use PS to edit my pics but didn't really know about this...