What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tattoo Works Butane Contains a Bitterent!

okay so i was watching Nay from the Trendyasdabbers page from youtube and he was complaning about tattoo works butane saying he couldnt remove all of it from the oil. so last night i go to buy some tane, the shop i have always bought king brand butane at(I just want to say before last night i thought king with the water in it and whatever type of oil propellant that is in it as well was as bad as it got) well upon spraying this tattoo works shit on a plate it left very little residue so i was thinking it might be okay, but i did notice a stronger than normal smell of butane somewhat equivalent of propane and how that smells because of the bitterents added to it. so i went ahead and sprayed the crap, it had already been ran once.

THIS WAS/IS THE NASTIEST SHIT AVAILABLE, DO NOT USE IT!!!! DONT EVEN TRY TO USE IT, ITS A WASTE!

i could not get the smell of rotten eggs out of my laundry room for a good two hrs. i assume this was from sulfur somehow. so yes the oil is tainted, hits smooth but it taste terrible. not to mention the burning it does to your lungs after you hit it... then i wake up this morning feeling queezy as shit like i have some type of lubricant in my guts... i feel like i have taken a laxative or something.

Moral of the story, do not use that bullshit tattoo works butane for anything we do with it. to be honest i wouldnt even feel safe using a flame i knew was from that brand of butane/proapne. i would honestly bet if they could get propane at the right price they would just substitute it or cut the butane with that. and damn i thought king was bad.....

People say Ronson is bad but in my experiences with it it has always made the best most flavorful oils that were dry and fully perged after the heat bath. it contains no water vapor to cut the gas with, minimal waxes and no residue except the wax which is the most minimal ive ever seen. the only bad part to me was the price, its 2x the price of everything else. I have never gotten my hands on vector or colibri yet, i think ebay will be getting my $ next time around

schwilly

Sounds nasty man.

Even the "good" brands are gross. The only thing I'll use butane for is my backpacking stove.

Haven't smoked BHO in a long time, don't think I ever will again.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks for the heads up bro! Sort of hard to miss ethyl mercaptans rotten egg smell and taste, isn't it.

It is so potent that our senses can discern it at under 3 parts per billionth! Why they use it in stove fuel application actually.

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
Moral of the story, do not use that bullshit tattoo works butane for anything we do with it. to be honest i wouldnt even feel safe using a flame i knew was from that brand of butane/proapne. i would honestly bet if they could get propane at the right price they would just substitute it or cut the butane with that. and damn i thought king was bad.....

People say Ronson is bad but in my experiences with it it has always made the best most flavorful oils that were dry and fully perged after the heat bath. it contains no water vapor to cut the gas with, minimal waxes and no residue except the wax which is the most minimal ive ever seen. the only bad part to me was the price, its 2x the price of everything else. I have never gotten my hands on vector or colibri yet, i think ebay will be getting my $ next time around

thanks for the heads up on tattoo, but you might be interested to know a couple things about butane, propane and butane brands. First of all, there is nothing wrong with using pure propane to extract with. Its akin to butane, as a matter of fact colibri MSDS shows they use propane at 17%. the reason is to make the stuff burn better at a wider range of temperatures i believe. As for ronson, its not butane at all, its a similar thing, called ISO-butane.

Sounds nasty man.

Even the "good" brands are gross. The only thing I'll use butane for is my backpacking stove.

Haven't smoked BHO in a long time, don't think I ever will again.

once you have tasted a nice winterized absolute extracted under vacuum..............you will probably change your mind.

i felt the same as you when i first began extracting for mom. i could taste the butane in every sample i tested, but in the last three or four years process changes (processing under vacuum and recycling the butane) and variety of refinement techniques used (including ethanol washes, oil bath and fine mesh filtering of contaminats), result in a very pure product. i now extract for a naturopath.

thanks for the heads up on tattoo, but you might be interested to know a couple things about butane, propane and butane brands. First of all, there is nothing wrong with using pure propane to extract with. Its akin to butane, as a matter of fact colibri MSDS shows they use propane at 17%. the reason is to make the stuff burn better at a wider range of temperatures i believe. As for ronson, its not butane at all, its a similar thing, called ISO-butane.

Maybe I am in the wrong forums, but it is great to see Hashmasta-Kut chime in on this as I dont see the postings from him like I used to.

For new folks, He is the supreme master of anything oil related and I would take his advice very seriously (0% sarcasm...he is the real deal).

Hashmasta - care to elaborate a little more on the differences chemically between the different types of "-anes" - bu, pro, iso, etc and their imopact on the medicine and us? I would love to learn more...jus point to a thread if already there... thanks.

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
naw, i am not the expert on this shit,but there are a few peeps that frequent these places who do have chemistry down pat pretty much. greywolf is the most of active of them at the moment. he has posted stuff regarding the different molecular compositions of a bunch of -anes.

Cool, thanks man. Its been about 18 months since I hung out in the concentrates/oil boards and I always found your postings to be true of substance...and your oil smoking plate back then...though more common now...was a rare sight. Your humbleness is noted and appreciated.

Greywolf...get ready...Im coming seeking knowledge!

Trichgnomes

once you have tasted a nice winterized absolute extracted under vacuum..............you will probably change your mind.

i felt the same as you when i first began extracting for mom. i could taste the butane in every sample i tested, but in the last three or four years process changes (processing under vacuum and recycling the butane) and variety of refinement techniques used (including ethanol washes, oil bath and fine mesh filtering of contaminats), result in a very pure product. i now extract for a naturopath.

Thanks for mentioning the naturopath bit. I have always been intrigued as to perspective of solvent extracts from a traditional herbalist, naturopath, homeopath, etc.

My personal route to BHO was from that of a skeptic, being semi-trained in clinical herbalism, my solvent usage was limited to that of food-grade ethanol for tincture production.

Years later, I now exclusively consume butane extracted oil. I have messed around with ethanol washes and winterization a few times, but have never been as satisfied with the end product. My goal is the perfect balance between potency and flavor, of which I have achieved in a primary wash and evaporation of butane. I believe that an absolute is a more potent and pure resinous compound, but at the sacrifice of the subtle and unique flavors provided by each individual strain.

I do utilize butane recovery, which definitely helps in cutting costs and environmental impact, but I do not see how it can result in more pure of a product as long as one does not neglect attention to detail during the purge.

I would like to get a vacuum pump however, as purging 20+ grams of oil at a time with heat alone is getting to be rather time consuming and laborious...:jump:

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
its very interesting to note i have found recently i can cut my purge times down about 50-75%, just by waving super vigourously over the top of my liquid butane. i find if one causes the partial vacuum, while the butane is liquid, and most importantly just as it is reaching the final evaporation point where all visible liquid butane is gone, that its possible to pull much much more butane out than usual. As i see it, this is the most important time to apply a vaccum, since once the butane is trapped in the sticky mass of oil, its much harder to remove. i have been amazed the difference the simple technique change makes. i highly recommend people to research this.

Mia

I have messed around with ethanol washes and winterization a few times, but have never been as satisfied with the end product. My goal is the perfect balance between potency and flavor, of which I have achieved in a primary wash and evaporation of butane. I believe that an absolute is a more potent and pure resinous compound, but at the sacrifice of the subtle and unique flavors provided by each individual strain.
From my limited BHO experience I couldn't agree with you more. I prefer my oil the same way. Seem to lose flavor through washes, etc.

Mia

its very interesting to note i have found recently i can cut my purge times down about 50-75%, just by waving super vigourously over the top of my liquid butane.

Are you just using your hand or anything additional like maybe a magazine?
Thanks for the tip!

hammalamma

Veteran

Hmmm..... I find that while very smooth on the throat and lungs absolutes have way less flavor than bho concretes. I can also tell that absolutes are stronger, seems like up to a third more potency. Maybe I'm not doing it right, but I will continue to experiment.:) I have tasted butane before, and never taste it in my oil that has only had heat and vacuum purging.

hammalamma

Veteran
its very interesting to note i have found recently i can cut my purge times down about 50-75%, just by waving super vigourously over the top of my liquid butane. i find if one causes the partial vacuum, while the butane is liquid, and most importantly just as it is reaching the final evaporation point where all visible liquid butane is gone, that its possible to pull much much more butane out than usual. As i see it, this is the most important time to apply a vaccum, since once the butane is trapped in the sticky mass of oil, its much harder to remove. i have been amazed the difference the simple technique change makes. i highly recommend people to research this.

I use a fan or just blow on it for the same effect. It totally works, I wonder If it has something to do with temperature, like maybe you are dispersing the cold faster. I also warm my purging pans up when spraying in the cold. Does any one get lowers yields when its cold out?

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
the cold wont effect the yield. it works because this is the moment when the butane can escape most easily. as soon as its in the sticky film of oil, its many times harder to remove. I used to not do this, and a certain amount of bubbles would be left stuck in the dish of oil. now, that amount of bubbles is about a 1/4 or less of what it used to be on a similar size run.

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
Are you just using your hand or anything additional like maybe a magazine?
Thanks for the tip!

just my hand. it is a bit tiring, you need to be very vigourous, especially at the crucial moment mentioned. i am thinking of actually using a hand fan, like an oriental one.

I believe that an absolute is a more potent and pure resinous compound, but at the sacrifice of the subtle and unique flavors provided by each individual strain.

I do utilize butane recovery, which definitely helps in cutting costs and environmental impact, but I do not see how it can result in more pure of a product as long as one does not neglect attention to detail during the purge.

I would like to get a vacuum pump however, as purging 20+ grams of oil at a time with heat alone is getting to be rather time consuming and laborious...:jump:

certainly a portion of the more subtleties of each strain are lost, but there are still differences in palette worth noting. i keep my oil's strain specific for that reason as well as the varietal medical effects, which are of little interest to some.

purity is all relative, however, after pulling an essential 30 inch vacuum and holding it for ten min, when i open the collection chamber to a quiescent pool of amber oil, with not a thought of a bubble, i am reasonably certain there is no residual butane left in the solution. at least nothing near what we typically get in food stuffs or your butane lighter when you strike up.

you are right with respect to refinement, though. anyone can clean up properly. i appreciate your attention to such detail.

Latest posts

Latest posts