What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best hydro for mother plants?

stonedar

Macro-aggressor
Veteran
it's hard to beat DWC for keeping a mother in. how about buying a
picture.php
mesh pot with rim, a couple air stones and a nice airpump. maybe use a storage container with a hole cut in instead of a bucket for extra root mass/space

I also like using an Earthbox. they are a self watering planter that holds almost 2 cu ft of soil, thats plenty of room for a mom.

if you just HAVE to have commercially made general hydroponics makes some larger sized waterfarm like products like the Coco-grower that makes a nice motherkeeper

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I would like to know why you would want to keep mothers in hydro in the first place? I don't see hydro as a place for mom's, some might, but don't you want low maintenance mom's?

to me, you are better keeping moms in coco or second choice peat.

this is also off the train of thought that I think of a mom as bonsai. mom's should not take up space, should not need high maintenance, should not need much, and should not grow fast..

High Country

Give me a Kenworth truck, an 18 speed box and I'll
Veteran
I keep my mums in dirt, stable, more forgiving, less maintenance. I also clone in dirt at the moment. LET'S CLONE IN DIRT

High Country

Veteran
I would like to know why you would want to keep mothers in hydro in the first place? I don't see hydro as a place for mom's, some might, but don't you want low maintenance mom's?

to me, you are better keeping moms in coco or second choice peat.

this is also off the train of thought that I think of a mom as bonsai. mom's should not take up space, should not need high maintenance, should not need much, and should not grow fast..

I agree, BONSAI MUMS.

dgr

E&F coco. Flat storage box, a couple pieces of tubing, a $10 pump and a reservoir to feed 'em.

I wouldn't use anything that will kill your plants in hours if there is a technical problem. DWC seems like a baaaad idea. Any medium-less hydro sounds like a ticket to losing your genetics.

Hmmm, maybe I'll convert my moms to wick ala PPK.

High Country

Veteran
E&F coco. Flat storage box, a couple pieces of tubing, a $10 pump and a reservoir to feed 'em.

I wouldn't use anything that will kill your plants in hours if there is a technical problem. DWC seems like a baaaad idea. Any medium-less hydro sounds like a ticket to losing your genetics.

Hmmm, maybe I'll convert my moms to wick ala PPK.

In 12 years I have retained the same mums in dirt, not the originals, but clones of. Recently I tried colloidal silver to reverse the plant and fuck itself, thus maintaining the strain in the event of disaster. It worked. Don't think I could have done it in hydro.

dgr

In 12 years I have retained the same mums in dirt, not the originals, but clones of. Recently I tried colloidal silver to reverse the plant and fuck itself, thus maintaining the strain in the event of disaster. It worked. Don't think I could have done it in hydro.

And I've read your entire thread at least twice. :respect: I don't doubt you could have done it in coco. Something fails in coco and you're now growing like you are in dirt.

But I'm biased. I don't like dirt.

High Country

Veteran
And I've read your entire thread at least twice. :respect: I don't doubt you could have done it in coco. Something fails in coco and you're now growing like you are in dirt.

But I'm biased. I don't like dirt.

I was never a dirt fan either, have always done hydro, but now I love dirt, don;t know why, I think LET'S CLONE IN DIRT, WTF! persuaded me, some of the best clones I've produced, from dirt grown mums, each to their own I guess, I'm always changing techniques. So if you like whatever you do stick with it, there is no wrong way.

avant gardener

Veteran
i'd say it depends on how hands-on you want to be.

if everything is monitored on the daily and you have all environmental factors firmly under control, i suggest dwc buckets. on the other hand, if you want something that's safer and demands less of your attention (and your desire to get a ready made system says you might), crack open a bag of roots organic formula 707 and stick her in.

i've had success with both methods but am leaning towards hydro for myself anymore. but of course it's a matter of personal preference.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
it's hard to beat DWC for keeping a mother in. how about buying a
picture.php
mesh pot with rim, a couple air stones and a nice airpump.

we presently r growing in waterfarms, and have various strains running side/side in the standard farms, and rite next door the standard farm...but with 2 extra airstones in each bucket (with a sep pump)..

so far (7weeks into 12/12) , see no diff in growth between the have, and have not's...

would have thought there would be some diff's, but nuthin....

G

Graham Purwatt

i vote for e&f with coco too.thats how i usually keep my moms and its a very low maintenance way to go.the most i ever have to worry about is pruning them.i change my res once every couple months and it couldn't be easier.