What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

unknown soil bugs

So I thought they were aphids but after looking at pics of aphids have decided no. They look like nearly microscopic pieces of white rice which must have legs (eyes aren't good enough to tell for sure). I also see what I believe to be their larvae. They are 2 to 3 times as long as others and seem to have one end stuck to the soil while the other end roams around. They aren't white though, more of a dirty white or brown.
I've also seen a much larger bug that looks like a spider or a tick. These are still very small but several times the size of the smaller ones.
I'm hoping these bigger ones are eating the smaller ones, idk.
I treated 2 plants w/asamax and 2 with peroxide. I also like to water and hit the top of soil with a spray of doctor doom, though I don't think its as effective as it is fun to watch them die !!!

any thoughts?

thinking they are root aphids for sure, bringing in a loupe tomorrow to check. would someone direct me to a good thread concerning this issue

big_daddy

PrivateAero.

It's possible that what you are seeing are soil mites which are actually beneficial in a living soil. See if the info in the link helps to identify the critters.

I have the tiny white soil mites described in my worm bin, and am happy to have them there. Are these what you're seeing?

attachment.php

Hope this helps,

b_d

soil-mites_cluster

Attachments

• soil-mites_cluster1.jpg
    soil-mites_cluster1.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 10

SOTF420

Humble Human, Freedom Fighter, Cannabis Lover, Bre
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Last time I used FFOF soil I got those little mites all over the top of the soil and sides of the smartpots but they did not bother the plants. Neem oil did not seem to kill them.

Corpsey

pollen dabber
ICMag Donor
Veteran
sounds like good guys to me, here are some of my decomposers under some mulch

picture.php

picture.php

Corpsey

pollen dabber
ICMag Donor
Veteran
no shame in my game.

i invite them in to eat, sleep, and fuck! oooooooyeaaaah

my buddy has a 200x digital microscope, I'm going to get it over here and take a pic. Was hoping to get it tonight but he's outta town. thx for all the help. It's either those or the "micros root aphids" from the link

Latest posts

Latest posts