What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fans, Blowers, and Caged Squirrels

420ponics

I use a 420cfm vortex. It's loud as hell as a stand alone.Then I hooked the scrubber up to it and ran the ducting through the ceiling and out of the house. It's very quiet. Here are a couple of pics.

Ponics. :joint:

KingRalph

great feedback folks, thanks a bunch. i too have seen the ecoplus' pretty stinkin cheap... anyone have one and can comment on it's actual air movement or noise level? seems like a good option for my cheap self :p thanks again keep it up, show off that ducting ;)

CptRFBurton

ecoplus = chinese crap

ecoplus = chinese crap

King Ralph, consider anything else before ecoplus. I bought one because they are all the local hydro shop stocks. Loud, unbalanced wheel that "sings" harmonically. Air blows out every seam and fastener hole, unlike fantechs or other quality N. American/European made blower.

I've used fantech's FR series before - very nice, reasonably quiet. But thanks to Tokin' White Guy's suggestion, i just ordered two Panasonic whisperlines. Big, slow wheel = quiet. 8" = $157 cheap.

CptRFBurton said:
i just ordered two Panasonic whisperlines. Big, slow wheel = quiet. 8" = $157 cheap.
AWESOME, let me know how they work out for ya. Also thanks for the heads-up on the ecopluses, i had a feeling they might be real shitty as cheap as they are. Lemme know when u get those whisperlines and get em hooked up.
-twg

edit: they are a little big, but SO worth it. here are spec sheets with the exact dimensions for each model http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wc...atGroupId=25050
there are links to spec sheets for a bunch of other fans on that page, the Whisperlines are the ones that end in "NLF1"
also, here's a good page on ducting and installation http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wc...atGroupId=25050

Last edited:

KingRalph

yeah those whisperlines are real interestin... run only at a bit over 1000rpm but deal with static pressure even better than the fantechs! Burton, hook those up right away when they get in n report back to us immediately :) i need to get a fan real soon n it looks like a good candidate... mmm quietness... peace n hope ta hear soon...

G

cheap fantechs troo my cousin vito. . .

cheap fantechs troo my cousin vito. . .

hey if ya decide to go with a fantech (i would:smile:)
i can gettem @ cost. ebay may be cheaper tho!

Last edited:

CptRFBurton

Hey Ralph - sorry for the delay, but i decided to stop posting til i sorted that digi cam thing out...and it's backcountry ski time here. Farming turns & buds.

Got the FV-20(6") & FV-40 (8"). Using the 6" for intake air, and the 8" is scheduled to replace that POS ecoplus 4" exhaust on my carbon filter. 6" in action:

Currently, the intake is just shooting the fresh into the room high and the carbon can is on the floor, to be relocated up next to the 6" blower. At that time, the fresh air supply will be ducted down and under the two 30 site tube systems in the room. Enough jibber-jabber, how do they work?

Very quiet - the 6" FV-20 emits no sound, but for the sigh of air at the exhaust port, and this will be quieter yet when the fresh air ducts are run. Seriously - no sound from the fan motor or blower wheel. The FV-20 is pulling through 6' of flex-duct connected to a window box. Just adding the intake has reduced my ventilation duty cycle from constant to 15 min. on/30 min. off. Got mine through westside electric, L.A., CA, fast service

Good thread, King Ralph. I'll update you on the FV-40, soon as i figure how to keep the carbon filter mounted on the wall during the occasional earthquake.

If anyone wants to buy the ecoplus jet engine soundin' chinese piece of crap, it will soon be on ebay. I'm kicking myself for buying it when i could have got the FV20 for the same price. Seems like hydro stores stock what's good for their profit margin, not what works.

bartender187

Bakin in da Sun
Veteran
I use a Vortec, the fan itself is near silent, but the you definately can hear the sound of moving air rushing through it. To deaden that sound, I hooked up insulated dryer hose to each end of the blower (hooked one end to my cool tube, and the other just snaked around my cabinet)-- Doing that will cut down your CFMs, but it will also cut down on noise alot.....

peace,
bartender187

EDIT
^^
Got a few questions for you, How heavy is it? can it be mounted vertically? Ive always hung my vent fans with heavy duty bungy cords-- keeps the vibration away from the house...

thanks for the review

Last edited:

CptRFBurton

hey bartender, the fv-20 weighs about 10 lbs, and can be mounted in most any position. See tokin white guys posts on the first page of this thread for specification links.

KingRalph

ah very cool Burton, thanks for that. yea i'd just anchor some large hooks in the ceiling n bungee cord the scrubber to those ;) so they're nice n light too, sweet... the static pressure specs are good, just as well as other cans, so it should be fine but for some reason i have doubts that need squashin! will be quite useful ta hear how much air it's pushin out with the scrubber attached. check the airflow with no scrubber, then afterwards let us know how it does :) i'll be gettin the FV-40 if so... i mean i had planned to build a sound box around whatever fan i bought... these whisperlines have already done that! too sweet for the price, hope the resta the review's good :) thanks again man

Latest posts

Latest posts