What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Will this work?

D-Rock

I'm getting ready to build a grow cabinet. My plan was to use cfl's because of the price but I found a thread where someone talked about using HID security lights. Did some looking around and found this

http://www.designersfountainlights....One-Light-Outdoor-Wall-Lantern-HP150FL-DB.htm

It's much cheaper on amazon. I'm thinking it should work fine. I don't plan on having more then 3 square feet of growing space, but they make different wattage ones so I'll pick up one accordingly. This should contain the ballast and everything I would need right? Of course I would have to modify it for growing.

Rednick

One day you will have to answer to the children of
Veteran
One can, but does one want to?
Some of the overpriced shit in the Hydro store works great...
It is just a matter of learning which it is.
:blowbubbles:

D-Rock

One can, but does one want to?
Some of the overpriced shit in the Hydro store works great...
It is just a matter of learning which it is.
:blowbubbles:

I guess I don't understand what your saying. I know it's expensive on that website, but amazon didn't really list specs, it's way cheaper there. I just figured since I can afford it, it would be better then using cfl's.

MMJcali

that particular one is a MetalHalide, so it would be great for veg.

If you want one for both veg and flowering, look at a High Pressure Sodium light.

Got my 150 HPS from econolight for around $50. remote ballasted that biatch, threw it in a cooltube - perfect for my microcab!

D-Rock

that particular one is a MetalHalide, so it would be great for veg.

If you want one for both veg and flowering, look at a High Pressure Sodium light.

Got my 150 HPS from econolight for around $50. remote ballasted that biatch, threw it in a cooltube - perfect for my microcab!

cool, thanks!....Did it come with the ballast or did you buy that separate?

messn'n'gommin'

ember
Veteran
I guess I don't understand what your saying. I know it's expensive on that website, but amazon didn't really list specs, it's way cheaper there. I just figured since I can afford it, it would be better then using cfl's.

I think what he is trying to say is that DIY is ok, but off the shelf has its benefits too. If you're good with your hands, DIY can save you 50% or more. But, the slightest mistake that sends you back to the hardware/electrical store could eat that savings, and right quick at that! It all boils down to a matter of convenience. Do you have the time and inclination for DIY or is "plug and play" without the hassle, worth the extra cost?

After that, if you still want to build it yourself, you can search ebalay for HPS ballast kits and choose "industrial/business" in the right hand column. There are a lot of kits fairly cheap and even some with a "make offer" button. Economic times being what they are, you could low ball them and they just might take it. Just make sure it is a quality ballast (i.e. not made in China), marked for 120v or multitap. Don't overlook "New Old Stock."

Some name brands to look for are Holophane, Advance, Solo, Universal, Magnetek.

hth and good luck!

S

sm0k4

You could get a ballast kit from HTG Supply. Way cheaper, not sure if they have 150W though. I know they have the 250W kit, I just ordered one. With that light you link, over half the cost is in the case and glass. If you don't plan on using the case or glass that comes with it, its pretty much a waste of $100.