What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Using a grow tent for drying?

I only have one place to dry out my harvest and it is my veg/flower metal container. I've been thinking about getting one of those GrowLab GL40 tents and drying out the product in there, but the GrowLab GL40 tent is only 3 feet tall. I would like to get something that is narrow like the GrowLab GL40 but taller with a drying rack.

Anybody have some suggestions? Does this sound like a DIY project?

hippydan

You'd definitely save money with a DIY project, but the convenience of using a grow tent that can go up and come down easily/quickly would be enough to sell me. Good luck finding a solution that works for you.

qbert

Tents are a GREAT way to dry!

I use a Growlab GL60. 2'x'2x5'3" tall. I've suck air with a Solar & Palau TD-125 blowing through a Can Filter 2600.

picture.php

The stuff that's trimmed sits on screens until dry. I picked up some non-metallic window screen from home depot. I cut some bamboo sticks to length, the same sticks I use to support the plants. Zip strip em to the tent pulls, then zip strip the screen across and pull it tight. Works awesome.

picture.php

I can dry a crap load in here, a 1lb when dry harvest had room to spare. It's surprising how much fits on the screens, and you can stack a hell of a lot in there, with room to hang quite a bit. The hanging space is the limiting factor.

picture.php

Tents are a GREAT way to dry!

I use a Growlab GL60. 2'x'2x5'3" tall. I've suck air with a Solar & Palau TD-125 blowing through a Can Filter 2600.

The stuff that's trimmed sits on screens until dry. I picked up some non-metallic window screen from home depot. I cut some bamboo sticks to length, the same sticks I use to support the plants. Zip strip em to the tent pulls, then zip strip the screen across and pull it tight. Works awesome.

I can dry a crap load in here, a 1lb when dry harvest had room to spare. It's surprising how much fits on the screens, and you can stack a hell of a lot in there, with room to hang quite a bit. The hanging space is the limiting factor.

qbert, I love what you did with the tent. After spending some time on the idea, I decided to go a DIY solution using a large rubbermaid container with 'shelves' and a 4" carbon filter. I am slowly putting the materials together right now, but I am confident that my DIY solution will fit my needs.

Although, if I had more room and a better location. I would have gotten myself a tent.

Qbert, do you leave that exhaust running 24/7? I am going to be drying in my tent in the next day or two and am not sure how I want to have my dry chamber set up.

Catfishh

I cut and lay on screens in the tent for the first 8 hrs ...then remove and put on racks in a food dehydrator with a fan installed in it...The tent is a must for the first hours after the chop ...as at that time the smell can hardly be contained ...after that its strong but manageable to dry outside the tent..

Bonavendura

i was drying in my veg area too in a grow closet with one 130cfm extractor fan installed and one or two humidity absorvers

picture.php

Definitely 24/7, otherwise it gets quite stinky.

I personally made my own little dehumidifier system that turns on the fan when it gets to a certain %. As long as you keep your exterior air dryer than the internal air, you could slow dry your stuff without it loosing any quality.

It took a little bit of work with relays, transformer, a small 4" carbon filter, and a mechanical dehumidifier thing, but it was cheaper than buying the AIR-1 CAP.

Latest posts

Latest posts