What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

have you guys tried this?

420stoner

im wondering if some of you guys tried this before to create co2?
1.vinegar & baking soda or
2.dry ice
& does it really work? i really dont want to get the co2 tanks.:wave:

hippydan

You can also use yeast to generate Co2, I think the reason people use CO2 tanks is because it's faster, and while the CO2 is being added to the room, you need/should turn the ventilation off so you don't just suck it right by the plants.

Yeast and dry ice do generate co2 however not at a rate that would be worth your time and if its dry ice it wouldn’t be worth time or money. If its a small cab it may help a bit but again I wouldn’t do it.

Tanks are not just about getting it out fast..for one they hook up to a controller and it adjusts accordingly to the exact amount set. They are extremely cheap to exchange(i pay 10$ for a 20lbs lasts 3 weeks in a sealed environment with nightly exhausts) and they are typically trapped co2 from commercial businesses so no new co2 is generated.

The downfall to co2 is it is expensive to setup but extremely cheap after that without considering ACs, dehumid ect for sealed room. You will have some people say you can do tanks cheap without a controller ect however it can be deadly and if you have no way to measure it than you wouldn't know if you are close to that point.

Finally if the grow is not dialed in and co2 is not the only limiting factor, then you will see very little or no increase in growth rate and at that point would be a waste of money.

One thing to note however is by running higher co2 levels you would want to run your room a bit hotter than you would otherwise. In an injected room you would want it low 80s for best results if maintaining co2 at 1500+ ppm.

qbert

Finally if the grow is not dialed in and co2 is not the only limiting factor, then you will see very little or no increase in growth rate and at that point would be a waste of money.

This.

You are almost certainly wasting your time thinking about CO2

kingoflimbs

Yeast is cheap and has been effective in my limited and subjective experience. I just plop mine in a cleaned out 2 litre soda bottle with some sugar water and let those little fuckers live and die for my plants (I am GOD!!!!!). Lol sorry I'm in a certain state of mind.

I don't have the evidence to prove it does much, but it definitely does produce CO2, and won't harm the plants as long as you keep the mixture contained.

Marn

If you have a microgrow going that's in a small space the yeast method certainly wouldn't hurt. I've tried it and can't say whether it helps or not but it's worth trying.

Sandnut

sugar + water + yeast = Co2

shake it all in a bottle or somekind of container with a lid, run a 4mm hose from it and to your plants, the yeast will react with the sugarwater and slowly release Co2..

Aerohead

space gardener
Veteran
Yes, you forgot sugar and yeast, yes tried it and it does nothing but stink like old gym socks. Co2 it a commitment, the whole environment needs to be dialed especially temps (85-90F) for it to work. IMO co2 is a complete waste of time half assed. Use a bottle or generator and have temps perfect to expect any gain at all...