What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

6kw room setup - Cooling/control questions

Eschertias

So after fighting with my current setup for most of a year, my lease is up and I'm moving to a new place.

The new setup will be a CO2 enriched sealed room with air cooled lights and a mini-split AC.

Proposed Equipment:

• The 8 inch Magnum XXXL hoods provide a very even light footprint with low airflow losses, so I'll be able to pull most of the bulb heat out of my room. I'm not super attached to these specific hoods, but I'm sure I want to stay with 8" hoods.
  • Galaxy 1000w 120/240 Digital Ballasts. Again, I'm not super attached to the brand, but I'm sure on the size/features.
  • Ebb & Grow Monster set. I had good luck with the smaller set, but I ran into issues where my roots were forming a solid mass underneath the pot. I suspect it's because my plants got 8 weeks of veg. I already have res chillers big enough to keep the water at 68, so no worries there.
  • Computer controlled/attached All in one greenhouse controller. I'm not sure exactly which brand to pick here, but I'm tired of having to individually fiddle with half a dozen instruments to keep the room where it should be. Also, havign alarms and data charting so I can actually see temps/humidity over time would be awesome.
  • CO2 enrichment will be via a CO2 cylinder and a regulator valve. I can get tanks filled cheaply from the weld supply shop, and it's cheaper to pay for than then to run a CO2 burner and AC the heat it generates.
  • Carbon scrubber/Fan combo for scrubbing the air in the room continuously, so it doesn't eventually reek every time I crack the door.

Rough design is a 12x14 bedroom with a crawlspace access. I plan on running two 10" rigid ducts from the crawlspace access to each end of my 2x4 A-frame light hangers. The 10" duct will Y-split to a pair of 8" ducts that will be run to the two strings of lights.
Each string of lights will consist of 3 of the 8" hoods, and an 8" Vortex fan. The low pressure drop in the larger hoods means I can probably cool all 3 hoods fairly well given the cooler intake temps and the mostly rigid ducting it runs in.
The lights strings will be spaced far enough apart so there is good overlap, but also a walkway for me to get access to the central plants so I can tie them up.

My major question is exactly how much AC I'll need to keep the room at the 80-85 sweet spot. Based on the stickied thread, I'll end up needing almost 28k BTUs of cooling, which seems a little excessive, given the fact that 10 months out of the year it's rarely above 70 degrees for long periods of the day.

My other major question is what greenhouse controller to get. I really want one that I can hook to my computer to do data capture and email/SMS alerts, but it's hard to find specific models.

StoneyMan

Bigger is better but you'll be able to get away with using a 24K BTU unit.

I have a sealed room with 8KW (air cooled hoods) w/ co2 generator, dehumidifier etc. Outside temps around here are usually high 80's to mid 90's and my 24K keeps my room at 80 to 85 no problem.

edit:
Just checked...it's a 24.5k BTU

louie

I've got a side question for you bro, I'm looking in to buying some new reflectors and am considering the 8'' magnum XXXLs, how do you like them? Would you buy them again?

Eschertias

I've got a side question for you bro, I'm looking in to buying some new reflectors and am considering the 8'' magnum XXXLs, how do you like them? Would you buy them again?

I don't have any myself, but the few times I've seen them in person, they look pretty sweet and the airflow from them is way higher than my older 6" ones.