What's new

What would you do to my setup to decrease temps?

Geeyah

Using a DR120 4x4 basically. Phresh filter connected to a S&P 200x fan, 508 cfm, via a 6x8 reducer which is sucking from the filter and pushing to the hood via 8" insulated ducting and then out the top of the tent using a 6x8 reducer because thats the size of the tents exhaust. The temps are fluctuating between 88 and 96 depending on if I just have the three passive vents open and the entire front door open.

This is my first grow and I plan to get an oscillation stand up fan this weekend so I'm not sure if that will help or not or if I'm just missing some rudimentary design flaw. The house AC is set to 70 or 72 but I can't leave the bedroom door open due to three cats who would love to eat the trees.

Somethings I've thought about.

1. Split the room's ac duct so 50% goes into the bedroom and 50% vents to the tent.

2. Run the hood and phresh filter with different ventilation fans and ducting. The phresh filter I have requires 400 cfm so I could get another S&P 200x fan but run it at low instead of high.

3. Use another of the exhaust ports with a S&P 150, 239-312 cfm, and then a Y splitter so that the external exhaust and phresh filter are both feeding, pushing air through, the light hood and exhausting out the top of the tent.

4. Maybe I'm just stressing for no reason and as my trees grow I will reduce the 90 degree angles in the ducting as the light will be higher in the tent.

Thoughts, suggestions, or need more clarifications on my setup? TYIA

Kalicokitty

The cat that loves cannabis
Veteran
4. Maybe I'm just stressing for no reason and as my trees grow I will reduce the 90 degree angles in the ducting as the light will be higher in the tent.

Thoughts, suggestions, or need more clarifications on my setup? TYIA
Well there's no reason you couldn't fix #4 right now, raise the light to reduce the 90* bends, and then elevate the plants on something, as they get taller, lower them, light stays fixed, plants are moved, instead of the other way around like you're planning.

Plus redirect the ac like you were talking about, those two things are easy fixes, try them and see what happens.

Geeyah

600w hortilux super HPS on a lumatek ballast. I don't have a MH. You suggest just raising the light up a few feet?

Geeyah

Raised the light up a foot and the temp dropped to 84 from 88 within a few minutes. I'll re-route the ac this weekend.

G

good drown

where is the exhaust going once it leaves the tent? if it just stay in that room, then that will raise the temps. ideally, you would like it to go in the attic or outside. another thing i noticed, you should have the intakes open on the bottom.. hot air rises, so the coolest air is lowest to the ground. you can run a few feet of ducting out of the bottom intake slots to minimize light leaks. if you do that,i would wrap the ducting in black duct tape for the light.
if your house is at 70-72, and that fan is running 500 cfms, it should be around 76-78 6 inches under that light.
i used to fan a 3x3 hooked up to a 420cfm fan. when it was 76 in the room, the tent was low eights 6 inches under the light, and that was with the fan turned down to only around 240 cfms.

Put you inline at the exit of your ducting run this will create higher pressure in the ducting and will pull the air out faster and more efficiently than blowing the air through the light and out

Geeyah

Yes, the exhaust is going directly into the room. Ducting outside or into the attic isn't really an option unless I can do it with out cutting holes in the ceiling unless you have any ideas on how I can accomplish this. Run duct from the tent 20 feet into the master bathroom and out the bathroom vent? I'll do that if you think it will work. I have three AC ducts in that area. One for the room, one for the bathroom, and one in the closet. I'm hoping that I can run the one from the bedroom directly into the tent and that should help.

Currently its at 82, it got up to 93 during the day when I had to close the panels, and it was down to 70 in the middle of the night.

I also do have all those bottom vents open, they're screened and in the picture it's brighter inside the tent than outside so you can't tell the flaps are open from that angle.

Geeyah

I ducted the room vent into the top of the tent and in the last hour it's hit 79 in there with the tent completely sealed. I'm venting the AC into the top left vent of the tent. Would it be more efficient to duct into the top or bottom of the tent.

Skillet

duct your cool intake air into the bottom, and exhaust from the top. can you vent your exhaust out a window? Get a piece of plywood that is the width of your window and about 8-10" tall, then cut a duct hole in that and fit the wood into the window.

Also, it's pretty common for newer growers to be measuring their temps wrong. If you have the temp gauge in the light, you'll be getting a reading of radiant heat, not ambient (air) temperature. Plants can handle as much radiant heat as your hand can, but like ambient temps below 80 if possible.

Skillet