What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chem's guide to making Cannabis bushes

Chem&M

Hello IC!

Out of all the different aspects of growing good herb, I have found that I happen to excel at training plants and forming bushes. In fact, I have never grown a plant straight up. I have always trained for yield, and I think my results speak for themselves.

There are a ton of different ways of training, and I'm not saying mine is better than any of them. Whatever works best for you is great. I was asked to detail my routine here, so here it is.

Here's an example of the average seedling I start with. I generally top or FIM my plants somewhere around the fourth node. I try to start training them after the new growth has had a few days to start.
img0938ko.jpg

img0943h.jpg

You will be able to see in these pictures that all plants have been topped/FIM'ed.

After a few days of new growth, I find a spot a node or two down the stalk and pinch it lightly, rolling it gently between my fingers.

img0945k.jpg

img0944yj.jpg

Now, you don't have to trellis the branch now, but I have found that it helps certain strains to stay horizontal. The plants natural inclination will be to fix itself and grow back straight. You want it to stay bent in order to redistribute the auxins and help for your bush.

I also find that tying it off can allow light access to lower bud sites, as you can see here.

img0954nn.jpg

img0950.jpg

After doing all this your veg room won't look fantastic, but in a couple weeks, you'll see it pay off. Of course, the same technique works on clones well too.

If all goes well, you're plants structure should something look like these next two shots as they journey towards flower.

img0967mm.jpg

img0958vf.jpg

Lastly, here are just a few shots of plants this technique produces.

This is just 6 plants.

img0972n.jpg

img0816ha.jpg

img0968j.jpg

I hope this helps some of you who asked for this. I'll do my best to answer any questions.

Just remember that the point is to get the little buds growing along the nodes to grow up & out so they can form their own cola, instead of just being part of one.

Happy growing! :smokeit:

THC123

Veteran
wish i could train my mother decently like that , but they have been in a pot for 8 months and are so stiff and rigid i just can't bend em

Chem&M

Cool, whatcha pullin' per girl?

Usually between 1/4 - 1/2 lb. per plant. Depending on strain they generally range from 3 feet tall to over 5 Feet. We've had a couple monsters in the past that have been about 1 lb. per, but I don't go that big anymore. Pain in the ass.

Prop on the thread. So do ya end up with good size big colas or just more smaller or average size buds? Thaks for the time.

Every now and then I find a strain that doesn't produce great colas, but I'd say about 90% of the time the colas are large. I feel like I get a much greater yield this way, so I continue to do it.

the gnome

Veteran
thanmks for posting that chem,
Im gong to try that on my next grow
a few Qs for ya

of all the ways youve tried does this produce the best for you ?

I have some plants that are 30" hi, would it be feasble to top them at about 20", then root the tips?

Chem&M

thanmks for posting that chem,
Im gong to try that on my next grow
a few Qs for ya

of all the ways youve tried does this produce the best for you ?

Most definitely. I train this way always. Sometimes you get easy ones, sometimes they are a bit resistant, but you learn either way.

I ALWAYS do things this way.

I have some plants that are 30" hi, would it be feasble to top them at about 20", then root the tips?

Do you mean clone the tops before you put them in flower? If so, yeah, sure. Ideally though, I would wait between 8-10 days after taking the cuttings to throw it in flower. That way you give them time to recover from the stress of cutting.

the gnome

Veteran
on Q #2
yes I meant coning them, the tips would be around 7"-10".

right now in the 5gal pots they are 32-40" tall and I'm afraid they're too big for my 8 ft ceiling I'm growing mostly BOG strain and was told they will stretch on 12/12 about 30%and that is pushing height limit on the 8' ceiling

btw
its my 1st grow....live and learn

Chem&M

on Q #2
yes I meant coning them, the tips would be around 7"-10".

right now in the 5gal pots they are 32-40" tall and I'm afraid they're too big for my 8 ft ceiling I'm growing mostly BOG strain and was told they will stretch on 12/12 about 30%and that is pushing height limit on the 8' ceiling

btw
its my 1st grow....live and learn

Have you ever considered using Bushmaster?? It might help your height issue as long as you use way less than what the label says. Also, you are still at a stage where you can tie and shape. If you haven't put it into flower yet, there is always time.

the gnome

Veteran
Have you ever considered using Bushmaster?? It might help your height issue as long as you use way less than what the label says. Also, you are still at a stage where you can tie and shape. If you haven't put it into flower yet, there is always time.

never used bushmaster, Ive heard the name tossed around and thought it was a fert.
I read upon it and it sounds like it may be just what I may need
in this particular grow :)

thanks my friend for the heads up on bushmaster :tiphat:

Chem&M

never used bushmaster, Ive heard the name tossed around and thought it was a fert.
I read upon it and it sounds like it may be just what I may need
in this particular grow :)

thanks my friend for the heads up on bushmaster :tiphat:

No problem , my friend.

Very nice thread, for the last few years Ive been going with a large number of smaller plants outdoors. Next season, I will be focusing more on Larger plants started much earlier in the season and trained to produce. Ive been looking for a thread like this.

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nice tutorial mate :yes: I like to train my plants too and you're right there are plenty of methods for this.I tried a bit of everything and I found the better way for me to train plants are crops,some ligatures and hang some load on the branches.This way I avoid top\fim (hst) but the result is the same.

Avoiding straight growth forces the plant to produce more buds,but not so large,so this is a good technique to prevent mold ;) and yes,it increase the final yeld IMO.

:wave:

woolybear

Veteran
Let me bump this. There's a couple of techniques being used shown perfectly in the photos. I haven't done any FIM'ing or stem crushing with my batch of girls, as they are my first after a long hiatus... I'll stress the f**k out of the clones however lol

northstate

ICMag Donor
Training is key to getting multiple tops indoors and breaking the stem in two stages is very beneficial for growth. Just like bones you get more flow from the injured area when it heals . Great pics and dont be afraid to defoliate for more light penetration. Good knowledge. NS