What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Need advice about soil mixture

RemyDuron

So, I tried to improvise a soil mixture based on various recipes I read on the internet, cobbling things together because I don't have access to a lot of gardening supplies. This is what I ended up with:
5 parts topsoil
3 parts perlite
1 part vermiculite
2 tbs dolomite lime per gallon of mix
2 tbs bone meal per gallon of mix
1 tbs blood meal per gallon of mix

I ended up with 7 non-sprouting seeds (it still hasn't been a week, but from one I dug out to examine it looked like the tap root got barely out and it just stopped). Now, there are any number of reasons the seeds didn't work, I could have messed up watering, the blood meal could have been too much (I didn't see till I had mixed it that it was not good to use to germ seeds), the soil could not have been aerated enough, could have been too aerated. . . But my main question here is about the soil mix.

Anyway, so I'm going to try again with a new soil mix. Still have plenty of all the ingredients I listed above, and I also have access to peat moss (though I'd like to avoid buying another huge bag of stuff if possible, it's hard to fit all this stuff in an apartment). There's pretty much no other ingredients available. I looked everywhere for worm castings, but only found one person at one nursery who had even heard of them, and she had no idea where I could find some. No kelp meal anywhere, no hydro store within 2 and a half hours, no potting soil that isn't filled to the brim with nutes, only found one place that had non-Miracle Gro perlite. I can order it all off the internet of course, but I'm a poor student and shipping is expensive.

I need some advise about what I should use and in what ratio. I'm probably going to leave out the blood and bone meal because I have other nutes. I'll starting from seed as well, I imagine that can make a difference.

tl;dr: I had 0 sprouts from 7 seeds at least a few I know to be viable (one opened while soaking, and one I dug out to get a look at). I have very limited available ingredients, what should I use for a soil mix?

ibjamming

Veteran
What is your "topsoil"?

Sounds to me like you're either too impatient...it takes time for the plant to grow...or you let it dry out and it died.

Why not stick to something that's been proven to work already? Go to the organic forum and copy one of the soil recipes...

Good luck!

Danks2005

7 days, your gonna have to be more patient than that. Sure a lot of seeds pop within 7 days, and a lot don't. Make sure you keep em moist, if they dry out before sprouting you can forget it. How do you expect to wait out a flower cycle, when you can't even wait 2 weeks for germination. Patience is virtue.

Phillthy

Seven-Thirty
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i wouldnt pop my seeds in that mix. pop seeds in straight promix or something and let them get a root ball then transplant into that mix.

ToughGirl

i wouldnt pop my seeds in that mix. pop seeds in straight promix or something and let them get a root ball then transplant into that mix.
I agree 100%. That soil sounds a bit hot for sprouts. Also, 2 tblspn seems like a lot of lime. Take it down to 1 (or 1.5 if the soil is very acidic), also is that lime powdered or is it those bb's?. I'd also lay off the bone/blood meal until the first transplant.

If you need something cheap that works, Miracle grow (I know, boooo..) makes a seed sprouting mix in small sealed bags, so there aren't gnats in it. I've used it many many times and it always worked out fine. Just sprout them in those little plastic beer kegger cups (with holes in the bottom). Once they really start to take off, transplant them into your mix.

One more thing, check and make sure you don't have gnats in that soil, their larva will eat tap roots right off and seeds won't sprout. I hope I've helped.

RemyDuron

Okay, my formatting may get a little messed up here, apologies if it does.

What is your "topsoil"?
GardenScape Topsoil, generic looking stuff.

Sounds to me like you're either too impatient...it takes time for the plant to grow...or you let it dry out and it died.
Everything I read said 1-7 days for sprouts, with the majority sprouting under 4. I am not the most patients person, but I waiting as long as the information I had indicated I should wait.

Why not stick to something that's been proven to work already? Go to the organic forum and copy one of the soil recipes...

Good luck!
I did, I don't have 1/3rd to 3/4th of the ingedients for those mixes available in my area, and I don't have the money to special order it. I know worm castings might be very useful, but I also know it's possible to grow without them. I tried to adapt a mix to my limited available supplies, as I said in my post.

Danks2005 said:
7 days, your gonna have to be more patient than that. Sure a lot of seeds pop within 7 days, and a lot don't. Make sure you keep em moist, if they dry out before sprouting you can forget it. How do you expect to wait out a flower cycle, when you can't even wait 2 weeks for germination. Patience is virtue.
Indeed, but the information I read gave 7 days as the largest length of time for seed sprouting. Multiple sources said that. I may have misunderstood (my knowledge of gardening is nil besides what I've read about growing this), but it wasn't impatience, though I am impatient. If I have a plant to look at I can diagnose issues that way, with the seeds they are a black box that I have to destroy to diagnose.

Phillthy said:
Can't find promix in my area, unless "promix" refers to something other than that brand of garden products.

ToughGirl said:
I agree 100%. That soil sounds a bit hot for sprouts. Also, 2 tblspn seems like a lot of lime. Take it down to 1 (or 1.5 if the soil is very acidic), also is that lime powdered or is it those bb's?. I'd also lay off the bone/blood meal until the first transplant.

If you need something cheap that works, Miracle grow (I know, boooo..) makes a seed sprouting mix in small sealed bags, so there aren't gnats in it. I've used it many many times and it always worked out fine. Just sprout them in those little plastic beer kegger cups (with holes in the bottom). Once they really start to take off, transplant them into your mix.

One more thing, check and make sure you don't have gnats in that soil, their larva will eat tap roots right off and seeds won't sprout. I hope I've helped.

I'm doing this in a small cabinet, so I'm not going to transplant. Right now I have 5.5" square pots, so I could, but they are really too big for the cab and I'll have 4" pots soon. Anyway, the 4" pots probably hold less than a solo cup. I could start them in Jiffy pots though. . .

Any advise on how to check the soil for gnats? I had the pots in plastic bags as humidity domes, was that a mistake? Some mold began to grow on one of them so I had to toss it. When I did I noticed the plant had sprouted by never really stood up.

When you say keep it moist. . . is there any way to be more specific? Like, to tell the difference between "right level of moist" and "too wet" and "too dry" in a more objective way?