What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

found a way to cool my small grow tent

well i was out thrift shopping and came across this http://www.amazon.com/Emerson-8-Bottle-Wine-Cooler/dp/B000K6BUM6 chills down to 44f so im thinking i attatch duct work to the fan inside of the wine holder and run it into intake of my grow it should cool it down alot.....i bought this for $15.00 at goodwill... dont exhaust much heat either hope it will bring my upper 80's temps down to 2-3f above ambient.....tell me what you think

above is a repost due to posting in wrong forum like a jackass.....

what the

I think it will not work. Do a search on cooling with small refrigerators. They just aren't large enough to do anything except waste electricity.

well thats what you think imo...not a proven fact i can use this for other uses so if it dont work oh well...and my grow tent is a 2x2 tent with a 250whps cooltubed

what the

You asked what I think.

And you can calculate the heat load and the performance of the refrigerator and prove it. Or go ahead and make it and prove it. Either way it won't work.

you obviously dont know how this one is made the cooler fan is exposed enough to put ducting removed with fan blade guard removed....and for 15$ im not loosing much as i could use it for storage when i do harvest and for seeds....

I've seen this attempted with mini bar fridges.. one was to cool a closet, another to cool the res. good designs too, but all failed.

It will work.. but not for too long. The unit will run non-stop, it is designed to cool the inside and stop once at temperature. Pushing a constant source of heat will cause the motor to run and burn itself out.
Also, you have paid $15 for the unit.. now you pay $15 every month to run the unit. It's not a savings.. when you can get a real A/C for $50 and will work properly without breaking down.

but anyways... take some pics when you get up and going!

what the

you obviously dont know how this one is made the cooler fan is exposed enough to put ducting removed with fan blade guard removed....and for 15$ im not loosing much as i could use it for storage when i do harvest and for seeds....

It doesn't matter. You obviously don't know how cooling equipment works. Do you understand the difference between the heat load of a couple bottles of wine and a 250W HID running continuously?

Listen, you came here and asked if it would work and are complaining when people tell you it won't. You can't argue with the math dude. It just doesn't have enough power for what you're trying to do. It will burn out, but it also won't work from the beginning.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Get an a/c or a chiller and an ice box.

Strapped

What kind of acs are available for such a small space Pete? Do you have any specifics in mind? I did some shopping around and couldn't come up with anything stealthy/ efficient enough. Granted, I did not look too long. If you have a specific model or something it would be greatly appreciated. I've considered building a refrigerator grow box connected to a temp control, but if there was an ac that could fit in a small enough space... any help would be appreciated.

Dr.Dank

Cannabis 101
Veteran
that mini fridge will not be your solution.... maybe a small ac or window ac?
or cool your house ac more?

For such small spaces your real options are;
1. custom ducting around a window A/C
2. Mini split A/C.. perfect.. but really expensive

Buying a new A/C or getting a used one and putting inside a box so you can control the airflow is the only thing I've seen people do, that actually works, very well too.
Building a custom box for a window A/C is the most stealth. You can insulate the inside and make it completely silent. Efficiency problems are related to, how you exhaust the hot air from the A/C. long uninsulated ducting will cause huge problems. Short insulated, direct to outside exhaust will work perfectly.

The mini-split is the ultimate $1000 to $3000 solution. A small box inside the grow area, and a big cooler outside the grow area, or outside the house.

The last "option" is swamp coolers. which just put more moisture in the air so heat can be captured and moved around. Just saying, cause some do... but I don't recommend this units unless you live in a very very dry area.

yeh i gave up on it....barly cooled down temp even with most passive intakes closed...ill keep it to store my cured and dried weed and seeds in it.....so i just plumbed the ducting to my window unit thats less then a foot away from the tent....dunno why i didnt just do that.....now i feel stupid but ducting to window unit got temps from 85f to 77f so far....sucks growing in the summer sometimes lol oh well

ChaosNyx

For such small spaces your real options are;
1. custom ducting around a window A/C
2. Mini split A/C.. perfect.. but really expensive

Buying a new A/C or getting a used one and putting inside a box so you can control the airflow is the only thing I've seen people do, that actually works, very well too.
Building a custom box for a window A/C is the most stealth. You can insulate the inside and make it completely silent. Efficiency problems are related to, how you exhaust the hot air from the A/C. long uninsulated ducting will cause huge problems. Short insulated, direct to outside exhaust will work perfectly.

The mini-split is the ultimate $1000 to $3000 solution. A small box inside the grow area, and a big cooler outside the grow area, or outside the house.

The last "option" is swamp coolers. which just put more moisture in the air so heat can be captured and moved around. Just saying, cause some do... but I don't recommend this units unless you live in a very very dry area.

:tiphat:
Well said.

While checking out computer case fans I noticed CPU coolers with little radiators and fans- don't know how many watts they can handle and they are around $60US. Just a wild idea as I am a complete computer idiot:grin: Anyone know it they are good for agricultural purposes?

" 'To each his own.' said the old lady as she kissed her cow." my great grandma

Latest posts

Latest posts