What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What kind of water pump am I looking for?

I want to get water from a 5 gal bucket on the floor to my elevated, hard to access reservoir. I want a pump that I drop into the bucket, and a hose on the other end to expel the water into the reservoir. Preferably with controls on the hose end, but that's a want, not a need.

Is this a sump pump, or is it called something else? Would a pet/aquarium store have something that would work? HD or Lowes? Boat supply store?

look up ecoplus water pumps they are cheap and work great.

Thanks, you're right, they are cheap. I'm a little leery of the brand though (had the displeasure of buying one of their 6" inline fans), but can't go too wrong at that cost for such a low tech item.

Another + would be if it could be purchased other than a hydroshop, though it does look like some aquarium supply stores carry that same brand (though at an inflated price).

NOTB

you can get a good sump pump at any home depot type store really cheap you can also get a pump from a pet store but i think they call them drain pump's just call 1 up and say you want to drain you LARGE aqurium and they'll hook you up. N

NOTB

oh yeah you should also figure how high and how far you have to move the water so you can get the right pump for your application so say your moving the water up to a 4' ledge for some reason that's 8' from the bucket that's 12' so i'd get a pump that's rated at 325 gph. N

Found one I liked at an aquarium shop, we'll see how it works out once it gets here, 200ish gph. I think just about anything would work for my minimal application, thanks for all the pointers!