What's new

Almost done flowering, should I trim some canopy to let light through?

I've got 12 plants under 1 hps. I've got an O.HazexSkunk, 2 Satori, 2 Ganesh, a Deep Congo, 5 Mr. Nice Dreamtime plants, and a PPPxWhite Dwarf. Unfortunately, I only have a 600w hps. To make the best usage of my watts, I strategically raised and placed the plants, depending on their structure, so that I would have an almost solid canopy of buds in a bit of a thrown-together coliseum.

Anyways, the Deep Congo and Ganeshes have super thick foliage, and are only a week or so away from being done. Tons of buds are concealed by the broad leaves, and are much less developed than the ones in better light. Do people usually trim those extra leaves away? I'm not sure what to do.

Thanks a bunch!
TMM

Grendelkhan

Your so close to finishing that it won't make much of a difference. However if those little buds on the bottoms aren't finished up like the tops are it certainly wouldn't hurt to remove fan leaves and get some light to them. In the future I would remove those fan leaves earlier in flowering so that you can get good light to everything on the plant. So folks don't believe in trimming fan leaves but I personally do it to everything that I grow.

foaf

Veteran
you can harvest the top, most light exposed buds next week when they are ripe and all the leaves on them and then let the deeper buds grow for a week or more and grow some and mature. The bottom shaded buds are usually behind the colas in maturity.