What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How to install Light Rail 3.5 w/ add-a-lamp

StoneyMan

I'm in the process of building a room and I want to try out this light rail that I've had in storage.
I'm going to have 2 lights (2KW) over three 4'x4' flood tables. How would you hang these lights (how far apart) to get the best / most efficient light coverage?

EDIT: This thread may belong in the lighting sub forum, sorry.

What type of hoods are the lights in, are they air cooled? If so then you would want to mount them so the air vents run parrellell to the Light Rail so as not to put too many curves in the ducting. Placement wise I would place the hoods roughly 2 ft apart, probably a little more. I would want it so when the lights are at one end of the rail you have one light centered on one of the end tables and the other one centered over the center table. That way when you pause at the end you have a light centered over 2 table. Then it travels to the other end of the rail and the opposite light is now centered over the middle table. This is assuming you are running the table right next to each other so you are basically covering a 12 x 4 area. If not adjust the spacing between the hoods accordingly. Thats the way I would do it at least.

StoneyMan

Thanks Burning Tree!
The hoods that I'll be using are Cool Sun 6" (they will be air cooled). This is actually going to be a 6KW room but I want two of the lights hung over 3 tables for a little experiment that I want to do. Wanna see if this light rail adds anything to my overall yield. :dance013:

No problem Stoney

I am considering a light rail also. I have seen them used to great effect. Currently my flower space is 7 x 5. I am running a 600 hps and 400 mh in a Growzilla hood. I was going to add another light but taking into consideration the amount of heat that would need to be dissipated and the extra kW on the electric bill I think the mover is going to be great. If the heat cannot be controlled adequately then adding extra lights would be detrimental overall I feel. Let me know how the Light rail works out for you and i will do the same!

Peace