What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pollinated Bud And Final Yield...

H

Hal

Howdy Breeders,

I am doing a seed run with some of DJ Shorts Flo. I started exposing my 7 females to my one male at about 14 days after pistils started forming into buds. Once a day, I've been opening my cabinet door, placing the male in front of the females, and training a fan on the cabinet from the outside for a minute or so, shaking the male a bit to shake loose any pollen. I have approximately 4 to 5 weeks till harvest.

The buds are still quite small, and I'm wondering if the buds will continue to pack on new growth after they have been exposed to pollen, or if new growth will cease once pollination occurs. I was planning on continuing the nightly exposure to the male for a few more days, but I'm starting to feel hesitant because I don't want to totally stunt the bud growth. I still would like to get a fairly decent amount of bud to smoke if possible.

Does anybody have experience with how the final yield of a plant is affected when it gets pollinated for a seed run?

Thanks for any info that you can provide. :)

zeppelindood

Captain Expando
Veteran
The buds will pack on weight but you can expect a fully seeded crop. Most of the dry weight will be from beans. Props Hal, you're going to have one hell of a batch of Flo IX-I's man :D

L

LolaGal

I find beaning tends to cut down on bud growth.

They put energy into seed production, not bud growth, so you get about half as much bud growth.

H

Hal

Thanks peeps! I've never grown Flo before (so I don't have any other harvests to compare it to), but I wanted to make sure that I get a bunch of beans of these mighty fine genetics...its one of those gifts that will keep on giving, eh?

It will be interesting to see my final yield...and to see how many beans I get. I feel like a kid on x-mas eve, except I've got to wait another 780 hours instead of the typical 8 before I get to see my presents. :)

Lola, I tried giving you some +K for points, but got that message that I had to spread it around before giving you some more. But I did mark your post as helpful. Thanks!

zeppelindood

Captain Expando
Veteran
When you grow out your Flo IX-I's (F2) that's when it get's fun. You'll be able to isolate the bomb phenos for further production.

:plant grow:

zeppelindood

Captain Expando
Veteran
They put energy into seed production, not bud growth, so you get about half as much bud growth.

I agree Lola. It does absolutely depend on the genetic line though. Skunk, Sour Diesel and Thai bud production is effected very little while producing stock.

My logic would be hitting the mother at the proper time, allowing seed maturation but providing an average harvest. Key word being, average.

When I test, a couple of lower branches are chosen and seeded via paint brush. I notice a minimal loss in harvest weight, however it's the leave production that suffers, in my opinion.

L

LolaGal

that is interesting zdude!

I find a couple of selected branches does not affect growth of buds much too.

But if I let the plants go wild in open pollination, all I gets is beans!! no bud atall.

L

Lord Humungus

i recently completed a harvest of a couple of FULLY seeded girls...
an open pollination technically... done accidentally. oops.
(i left the males in the room for a month straight!!!!)

imo fully seeded plants are like looking at hemp if you're hoping for anything to smoke. if you are hoping for bud to smoke i hope you didnt get every site with pollen... all the energies are seemingly put into cranking out beans. you'll have way way way less resin. and way less bud to smoke.... no aroma. and the smoke will be shitty (compared to seedless buds imo). all the buds on my plants were basically seedpods haha.

the mountain madness girl (abused by all 7 mm males) plant/bud material weighed in at 60g... of totally unusable for traditional smoke. havent counted the seeds yet but theres gotta be 500+ (f2s btw). im probably not gonna count them all haha

the rasberry kush girl (same 7 MM males) put out 75g of plant/bud material and easily 600+ seeds. the pic isnt the clearest but thats a 20dram bottle loaded with rbk/mm seeds...

just my opinion but i thought none of the seeded bud material was worth smoking. ick. horrible. junk. everytime you broke open a bud like 50 seeds would fall out. i did have someone pick out all the seeds and made bho though...... mmmmm all golden and way better than the seeded bud turned out!!!!

i hope you get some nice buds to smoke man to compliment your seed harvest. :blowbubbles:

But if I let the plants go wild in open pollination, all I gets is beans!! no bud atall.
^^^thats what i did....ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Attachments

• rbkmm seeds.jpg
    rbkmm seeds.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 18
H

Hal

Well...I do believe that I will stop pollinating at this point. One thing that you should know concerning my "open pollinating" of my girls is that I was only using one male plant, and that male plant is very very small.

I'm guessing that most open pollinating involves much larger male plants that are spewing their jizz in mucho greater quantities. Nevertheless, I going to stop the pollinating at this point, I think the girls have likely become preggers enough to give me a good amount of seeds.

Thanks for chipping in with your experiences kind folks! :)

Latest posts

Latest posts