What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ready to Grow? Help! PC CFL

Ready to Grow? Help! PC CFL

• Yes, it should be ok

Votes: 32 74.4%
  • Nope, you screwed it up

Votes: 11 25.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Glimmbo

Hey everybody I'm a beginner so I've been collecting a ton of information the past few weeks on just how to get into growing my own. So, I decided to try out the PC method with CFLs.

The case is pretty standard. It's got a power bar mounted up top with three 23w CFLs (6500k for veg, 2700k for flower), has 2 PC fans for intake at the front/bottom and 2 more for exhaust at back/top. It's lined with shiny bubble paper pipe insulation by Reflectix and shiny tape. I've run the box overnight and it stays ~75-80F, but pretty low humidity ~30-40%. I haven't yet but I plan to put in a micro scrubber just like sugabear_II and bongasaurus' thread.

My plan was to grow in soil-less mix (undecided on nutrients still), in either a few yogurt containers or the Dr's dandy 750ml pop bottles. I was going to either Scrog it or LST seeds from Dr. Atomic's Thai x Lights strain. From what I've read it's a potent, mostly sativa high with decent yields and low odour. I'd sprout it on 24/0 until I've got decent sprouts then switch immediately to 12/12.

So I have a few questions:
Enough light?
Any hints on nutrients?
Did I pick a decent strain?
Am I correct on the light schedule?

Any advice is much appreciated, thanks. :tiphat:

Attachments

• IMG_1062.JPG
    IMG_1062.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 11

JustaGuy420

That shit is looking good bro, I'll be watching this one for sure. I'm using Fox Farm ocean soil and big bloom for nutes. Nothing really fancy.

Glimmbo

Cool man, thanks for tuning in. What stage are you at in your growing? How are those nutrients workin for ya?

So I think I've decided to switch to plain old NL. I've heard everywhere that it's easy to grow, and I just wanna make sure I don't f this up. Has anyone had any problems buying from Great Canadian Seed? They're 20$ cheaper on Dr. Atomic stock, but I have trouble finding reviews of their service.

Another thing I have to figure out: what's the best way to keep this thing perpetual? I'm guessing clones are the way to go, but can I manage that with one box of lights?

Thanks in advance again. :tiphat:

Stevius

Hey Glimmbo! :wave:

You will def need a carbon scrubber... now I see that you have two fans for intake and two for outtake. Are you sure this isn't gonna cause pos pressure inside the grow? Personally I like systems with passive intakes. You must always make sure you have negative pressure inside of a grow, otherwise the smell will leak through small cracks and holes. Sure some of it will be filtered by the scrubber but not all of it. So keep it mind: NEG PRESSURE!

Perpetual growing? Well.. yes, you would need two boxes for that of course! One where you will have mothers, always running at +20 hours of light, if not even 24/0. You take clones from that plant, leave them in the same box until they have rooted and then you can transfer them into the flowering box (12/12).

Good luck! :)

Glimmbo

BM-I'd love to have more lights, I just don't have the room! :( I couldn't find the right size power bar with more sockets than 6, and I have to double space the lights so I think I'm at my max. Any hints on how I could cram some more in there? (That's what she said)

Stevius-Wow, thanks for the heads up about the pressure. I figured it would be fine just because all the fans are the same, and if anything it would be just an even flow of neutral pressure through the box (if there's such a thing). But if I add a scrubber to exhaust it's going to slow the flow out the back for sure.. You think I could just disconnect one intake fan and cover up the intake space it used?

Also, I'm starting to plan out another box, like I suspected I would need to for a perpetual system. I was thinking of using a guitar amp box, considering there's one sitting right next to my PC box! No change in appearance in my room.

In the meantime, I think I'm just going to order my seeds and start growing in the PC with the hopes of finding a good candidate for a bonsai female that I can move to the amp once it's finished. I've read both DrBud's and Oldtimer's methods, the task just seems a little advanced for my newb hands...we'll see. One question though, I'll ask it here and check around too: because you don't flower the mums, is there any real odor issue? Will I need a scrubber installed on the mom/clone amp box too?

Thanks agaiN! :tiphat:

BC Chronic

Paging Dr.Greenthumb
Veteran
nice setup...
you should take both intake fans out and use the hole left over for a passive intake..it will create a vacuum in there pushing stink out...the exhaust is great for sure....i had the fans for intake before too but it did'nt work...
scrubbers are easy to make..are your exhaust fans 80mm or 120mm?
the link below is for micro-scrubbers..should help you out..
you can get the same seeds but alot cheaper if you go to the bigger seed retailers in England..GHS ,Att***DE , are both good..plus you always get good freebies from Att***de
Hope this helped and best wishes on your grow..you can check my grow to..here is the link below..
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=156239...this is my grow in a pc..

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=48949...this is the micro scrubber forum..

Stevius

I agree with BC Chronic. I would also take both intake fans out.. and leave the wholes... those two vents exhausting will create a negative pressure and the air will come trough the intake as much as needed. A little bit complicated matter and you need some time to understand it but it is very important thing to know IMHO.

Check this out:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=100823 <=== Understanding airflow

and this one:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=112862 <======= Ventilation 101

It would be very good if you read this two threads. Lots of good useful information. Take your time, smoke a spliff and get to study. I promise... you wont regret, knowing this one.

Yes... a plant in the vegetation doesn't smell so bad as in flowering, that's for sure.

Will you need a carbon scrubber? I really don't know.... I would say it depends on a strain. But definitely you wont have such big problems with moms considering odor. But still can be an issue. Make and extra scrubber just in case. Better do it now than later when the smell will be all around and the neighbours will be knockin on your door ;)

Glimmbo

BC Chronic - Thanks for the links man, those are the exact threads I was going to use for my scrubber!

Stevius - I checked out those threads. Like highschool science all over again haha. But it makes total sense, thanks again.

SO, remodelling a bit. I'm gonna remove the two intake fans at the front. If there's light leakage, I might build a small light shield inside the cab, so long as it doesn't choke the air flow too bad. Then I can save those two fans for my yet-to-come mother cab.

I might have some issues building my scrubber, seeing as a left virtually no space for it (built the thing before I researched that far. dumb.) I'm thinking I'll have to wander the isles of Walmart to get some ideas...

But I do want to get started growing in the meantime. Like I said I want to start either Atomic NL or Atomic Haze bonsai mother in the setup that I have. I understand that NL is probably much easier than Haze to grow, but a big reason I chose to grow was to have the choice of high, and I don't think I've ever had a good sativa experience. So I'm gonna go for it, if I f it up, it's on me.

--Edit-- Changed my mind! Goin back to Thai Lights. More yield.

Thanks for the advice! Keep it comin ICmag, you rock.

Stevius

I think you're too much concentrated on what strain you're gonna grow bro!

First build the grow. Make a test run, to see if everything is functioning as it should be. Light up an scented stick/candle put it in grow, see if the carbon scrubber works. RH, temp, light leaks.

When you have done all that, then you can start thinking about the strain.

In the meantime you can always learn. Here on IC you have tons of great information. Take your time and do it properly! You wont regret...

:wave:

johnnybsmokin

:yeahthats
Agreed, I would try what ever seed available first ie bag seeds, and fine tune the dynamics ( wow them are big words for this time of the day...lol) of the cab first, temps, nutes, training methods etc and then decide on a nice strain to go with. That my 2 cents worth, but I offer all the encouragement I can to you and "grow grow grow your dope in a small pc"....lmao:gday:

Glimmbo

Yea I was picky about the strain... That was before I cam across Nirvana where it's ridiculously cheaper to buy awesome strains. I ordered Jock Horror (NLxHazexSkunk) and it came with 20 extra mixed seed, all for 40$ CAD after shipping! Unreal. :dance013:

That being said, I can't wait to grow! I'm gonna shop around Walmart for my custom scrubber components, as well as any ideas for my second mother cab (might not be a guitar amp afterall).

Besides the scrubber, I think my hardware is pretty set. I've done temp/humidity test runs, all good. Light leakage is no problem. Whether or not I need more light I'll just have to test.

I'm going to use the free gift seeds first run through, see what happens, and save the Jock Horror for later. How long can you keep seeds in a cool, dark, dry place?

I'm going with soil-less mix and I'll just be growing out of plastic cups. Now I've got to narrow down my choices for nutrients. Any advice? Also, where can I find SUPERthrive other than their site?
:thank you:

Stevius

As for the seeds. As long as you keep 'em in a cool, dark and dry place, like you said, you should be just fine. I have my seeds for few years stored now and they still germinate with no problems. With right conditions seeds can be stored for many years.

:2cents:

Glimmbo

Right on Stevius, thanks for staying tuned in and helpin out. I just planted 3 seeds in sphagnum tablets and I placed em up on a heating duct for warmth (I don't have to buy a heating mat, screw that). I'm just hoping they won't get cooked...

johnnybsmokin

Hey Glimmbo, just watch the temps mate. High 20C max or as you said you might just "cook them".
As far as seeds go i have been trying to germ some seeds that are up to ten years old with no success so i think you need to make sure they are well sealed and I think some people recommend storing in a fridge in an air tight container. What your thoughts STEVIUS on the fridge????
Staying tuned to see the out come

Glimmbo

Good call johnny, better safe than cooked. I moved em to the cupboard above my fridge. Hoping to see something pop out tomorrow.

So I've been thinkin...

I think I'm just going to use my PC I've got going for a small bonsai mother box. I'm not really in a living situation where I can do any flowering or harvesting. This way I won't have to worry about a carbon scrubber in the PC, I can keep it the way it is (minus the intake fans I've still gotta pull out). If I manage to get a nice little bonsai mom going, I think I'm just gonna keep it around for a while until I get myself a better situation to grow with a small 6-10 plant aeroponic unit like KingRalph's, using Lucas formula, pulling clone trimmings off my bonsai...

What do you guys think of that plan?

johnnybsmokin

Hey, I think it's quite feasable to do how ever some strains start to smell even in the veg state. I suppose time will tell. I know it is hard to grow with out others knowing i have 2 kids in their mid to late teens and both have very inquisitive minds, hence to PC grow for me...lol

Glimmbo

Hah shit, well here's hoping shit doesn't get too smelly. That is if I even manage to get a decent bonsai going. I was going to use either DrBud's or Oldtimer's bonsai method, but they both seem to cater to the more experienced. Expect many questions and gratitude for helpful responses!

Next post will hopefully have some shots of some nice little seedlings. Thanks again for following along.

Stevius

Hey Glimmbo, just watch the temps mate. High 20C max or as you said you might just "cook them".
As far as seeds go i have been trying to germ some seeds that are up to ten years old with no success so i think you need to make sure they are well sealed and I think some people recommend storing in a fridge in an air tight container. What your thoughts STEVIUS on the fridge????
Staying tuned to see the out come

As long as seeds are stored in an environment of less than 5% humidity and 2-5°C (35-40 °F) they should be fine.
In which case, the fridge seems to be one of the best options.

I've also read somewhere that very old seeds (10+ years) are of course harder to germinate, so some people use tricks like taking the knife and slightly cutting into the seed. Or another method, which I prefer more, is if you take abrasive paper/sand paper (dont know how you say it in English, but you get the the picture) and then you grind/scratch seed on it. This makes the outer shell of the seed more thin and therefore increasing the chances of germination.

Just my two cents :2cents:

johnnybsmokin

Hey Stevius, I hadn't kept mine in the right enviroment just kept them in a small container in bottom drawer. I did how ever end up carefully using a blade to help crack open the seeds but still I had no beans sprout....never mind, have some on order now.