What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What's your sleeper strain?

joeking

It seems as though OG Kush and Sour Diesel have changed the game forever. Strains are called kush this and kush that for marketing purposes and Sour Diesel is even spoke of in rap songs.
My point being, there were some real mindbenders out there 9 or 10 years ago, I'd love to hear some of you not so old, old schoolers out there weigh in on this one, as I am really tryin to dig deep into the vaults for this next seed purchase. What's your strain thats kinda like Chuck taylor all stars, timeless and never gonna go outta style?

Am I the only one not buying into the Sour D and OG Kush hype? Yeah its consistently good weed, maybe grows nice i dunno never had it on that end, it looks nice, smells strong, potent- a little goes a long way, kinda a typical taste and balanced high, but come on... Jack Herer, afghan x haze, and even my homegrown mexican were much more memorable in terms of smell, high, and smoke. I was getting a lot of buds and hash from cali for a long time, and the OGK and Sour D were nice but never really memorable. Its like "safe" weed, always gets the job done, predictable in every area, maybe even a quality benchmark to judge others by, but never more than that. So to answer your question, I dont think you can really beat a good haze, but beware because there are definitely bland hazes as well.

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
G

Green Supreme

Sensi Afghani #1 grew to 12 feet outdoors. Compact indica huh lol. Peace GS

bentom187

Veteran
since were on the subject of afgani has anyone herd of afghani gold,it was a real sleeper but ive never herd of anyone selling seeds or a cut im thinking the guy just threw a name out there but it had all the classic afghani traits but way more powerful.

joeking

Am I the only one not buying into the Sour D and OG Kush hype? Yeah its consistently good weed, maybe grows nice i dunno never had it on that end, it looks nice, smells strong, potent- a little goes a long way, kinda a typical taste and balanced high, but come on... Jack Herer, afghan x haze, and even my homegrown mexican were much more memorable in terms of smell, high, and smoke. I was getting a lot of buds and hash from cali for a long time, and the OGK and Sour D were nice but never really memorable. Its like "safe" weed, always gets the job done, predictable in every area, maybe even a quality benchmark to judge others by, but never more than that. So to answer your question, I dont think you can really beat a good haze, but beware because there are definitely bland hazes as well.

Na, your not the only one. I've never had the Og, but I did have some true Sour D about 5 years ago from some kidz I met along the way, it was more memorable in the flavor department as it made my mouth water and pucker like some tart candy, however, the first time I smoked some str8 outta Humboldt Trainwreck, it damn near melted my face, really thought I just got spun!!!

I had some killer hash plant when I first started smokin, and White Widow popped into my mind as I was starting this thread. But damn, those hazes....Super Silver Haze, the Cough (nl#5 x Haze) argghhhhh, can't beat the cat piss smell;)
As far as the Ghani's, I nearly bought the Afghanica from Eddie at the F.D. when I was over there bout 8 or 9 years ago, for the night time put ya ta bed, thats probably where it's at

Megas

It seems as though OG Kush and Sour Diesel have changed the game forever.

I can tell you are either young or new, but if your like some of us we can tell you that these "hype" strains have come and gone. Years ago NL was huge, then blueberry, (just look at all the crosses) then recently cheese, then Kush ect ect ect. Give it some time something else will be on top. Essentially you can look at what did really well at the Cannabis cup and in a couple years it will become a pretty known strain with eveyone hyping it and ripping it off or cross breeding something with it. Go with the original breeders if you can support them, they are doing all the real work. Not Jimmy Joe seed company who just took bag seed and crossed it with 17 years of work from dj Short and is now selling it for 100 a pack.

The thing that pisses me off most is when breeders put out their own variant in order to sell their shit.
IE:
Sour Diesel (Reservoir) Mexican Sativa X Chemo
Sour Diesel (??) ?DNL X Daywrecker?
Sour Diesal = Mass.Super Skunk x Chem {dawg}
Sour Diesel = [(SensiNL X MassSuperSkunk) X Dawg/Chem] X DNL
Or,
Super Silver Haze (Mr. Nice) [Northern Lights #5 x N. Haze] X [Skunk #1 x N. Haze]
Super Silver Haze{greenhouse} = Super Skunk x Silver Pearl x Haze

Like WTF Come on!!! How is their variants when there is only 1 true strain here.

Lisdexik

I like this thread - I'm so tired of hearing about OG Kush and Sour Diesel crosses it is unbeliviable. I think this is because every time I smoke with a person from the medical community they load some mids and call it Diesel or Trainwreck haha

The world of polyhybrids and strain name hear say will be the end of good genetics in the future. For this reason I choose to live in the past.

Do us all a favor and grow oldschool genetics

Flo is my sleeper
picture.php

Lisdexik

Lisdexik

I don't know what else it could be....

It's definitely not confirmed, but show me another plant with all the traits of choc thai that flowers in 50 days and smells exactly like blueberries

I agree though, I shouldn't have said it is Flo

joeking

I can tell you are either young or new, but if your like some of us we can tell you that these "hype" strains have come and gone.

I've been growing on and off for 10 years now, I had to do a bid and am just gettin back on my feet. Thats precisly why I started this thread and the Bubblegum thread as well. I had the luxury of kickin it with a lot of what I would consder old schoolers, smoked mad headies back in the day, WAY before SD and OG Kush. This thread is meant to get back to the basics, back to the true NL's, the haze hybrids, etc..

In my humble and honest opinion, my gut tells me to stay true to companies like DJ Short, Spice of Life, Legends, and a few others. The demise of good weed is gonna be the internet, but hopefully with this sorta thread, we can help the younger generation and newbies sort through the hype and get to the good stuff.

Flo seems to be on alot of peeps sleeper list. I've had my eye on that one for many years for the anti anxiety properties. It's really too bad that so much ish gets talked, like Black DOM, would love to get ahold of that one, but am a little stand offish to order any Sensi gear after everything Iv'e read, and heard while in Amsterdam.

I

Iron_Lion

If you want the oldschool feel look no further than Mr.Nice seeds, most of his strains are combinations of Hazes, NL#5, Skunk, Afghan and Nevilles Haze.

He also works with G13, Black Widow and early pearl. He has the original's that Neville had back in the day. http://mrnice.nl/dhtml/strains.php