What's new

silening inline fan

shafty420

hi guys just need some help i have a drs90 with 4" fan/filter the fans a bit loud even on the lower setting
i dont want to spend silly money on silencers etc i was thinking anyone know a gd way to quiten it down
i was thinking putting the fan in a cardboard bx and insulating the box with roof insulation or expanding foam ?
any tips etc would be great cheers

darksith

one way is to make a bunch of bends in your ducting so the sound of the fan has to rebound off many corners before it escapes through the duct. Depends on what you mean for silencing, but I have done that with my 12" inlines. They were way to noisy so I took a bunch of extra duct and made a bunch of 180 degree bends and that helped out lots. Other than that you just gotta insulate around it if thats where the noise is coming from.

EddieShoestring

Florist
Veteran

yeah-you're thinking along the right lines. Here's a cardboard box version muffled with an old blanket inside. For more silencing make a box out of chipboard/mdf-

cheers
eddieS

dixie wrecked

much of the noise is the air moving, not the fan motor, i recently upgraded fans, and then upgraded to insulated flex duct, it made a huge difference in noise and i didn't even insulate the fan housing itself. it was a dull roar in the grow room, now the oscillating fan and humidifier make more noise than the two inline exhaust fans.

Krakatoa2009

Go for the Soler & Palau fan. It is the most silent fan on the market, and it works wonders. I had an elicient 4" that sounded like a plane. After some research I found about these fans, bought a 6" model and... voila! If you use isolated tubing, you will have no problem.

Latest posts

Latest posts