What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Need help choosing a new COMPUTER for PC gaming----$$$$

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
I got an issue of PC gamer and have been looking at all the advertisements, man this is really confusing.

Basically i want a good rig for computer gaming. I want it to be able to play all the new stuff. I dont need it to be super hardcore, my budget is 500-800.

I have no idea what anything is except that some cost alot and some cost reasonable. Here are my main two questions.

1) Theres a "gamer ultra 700" for $525, its got nvidia 9500gt 1gb. Is it better to have a 1gb card or a 512mb? And is Nvidia better or ATI radeon? http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Gamer_Ultra_7000_Elite/

2) Its got a AMD x2 dual core processor. Is DUAL CORE OKAY or do i need to get TRIPLE CORE?? Theres also a Quad core, how many cores are there LOL. what is the advantage of having 3 or 4 cores over 2? im not that hardcore at this i just wanna play some good games

Ive been comparing them in the mag and this rig for 525 seems like the best deal, its got the most GB in the graphics card, and it comes loaded with windows vista premium. i can also upgrade to the triple core for 599. Its from a website called CYBERPOWERPC anyone got experiance with them?

Im just about ready to pull out the credit card but i wanna run it past the experts first.

blu_400.jpg

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
also do i need a dedicated phsyx card? im building my own customized one on cyberpc ive got a quad core with the gt9500 1gb with 500gb hard drive.

* CPU: AMD Phenom™II X4 925 Quad-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology [+90]
* HDD: Single Hard Drive (500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD)
* MOTHERBOARD: Asus M4A78LT-M LE AM3 DDR3 AMD 760G/SB710 Chipset DDR3 mATX w/ Integrated ATI Radeon 3000, 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, USB2.0, SATA-II RAID, 1 Gen2 PCIe, 1 PCIe X1 & 2 PCI
* MEMORY: 4GB (2GBx2) DDR3/1333MHz Dual Channel Memory (Corsair or Major Brand)
* SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
* VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT 1GB 16X PCI Express [+15] (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)

everything for 720 + 70 tax so its aroud 790 bucks what do yall think

everything sound good?

etinarcadiaego

Even in Arcadia I exist
Veteran
Hiya!

First off, buying a PC is easy to fuck up. As with growing your computer is only as fast as the weakest component, so for more gaming that's not ULTRA intensive and on a sub 30" display the key is a balance of good, reliable components, rather than breaking the bank with brand new gear.

Honestly, don't buy a pre-built. Go through Magic Micro, an online and Ebay retailer, and select the components yourself. They build it, they warranty it, all new parts, you even get the packaging. I have 3 PCs built by them plus 25+ clients with machines built by them. I'm not exaggerating, they are a pleasure to deal with, have US tech support, mail you new parts Overnight with 0 shipping cost to you, plus pre-pay the return shipping for parts you send back. Please please please give them a try, I can't say enough about this company.

1) Get 1GB card - the extra Gpu memory will be helpful in games with LOT of texture maps, like COD4 or Battlefield type stuff. Also, if you have the money consider a 9800GTX or better. Also, don't scrimp on the power supply - you don't need SLI for a lot of the current games, and to be honest it's not in your budget, so I'd say get a Corsair power supply.

2) Dual Core is plenty, and if you get an Intel I highly recommend the E8500 processor, it's outstanding. Quad core is great but clock speed is just as important in gaming, and the trade off is more cores, lower clock (for the same price). For "Some games" you'll go GREAT with the E8400 or E8500 processor.

3) Motherboard: This is also key. Again you don't need SLI, so don't worry about SLI (Scalable Link Interface) compatibilty . . . stay with something that has solid state capacitors and a great warranty. I like Gigabyte, as well as SOME of the ASUS boards. There are tons of great boards out there, your budget will narrow it down for you. GEt something with 1333Mhz Front side bus or better, don't worry, it'll be advertised:)

4) RAM: If you can spend the $$ on getting a decent MOBO, you should be able to tighten up your RAM timings in BIOS very easily without having to know much about computers. Again, for "Some games" I'd recommend 4GB . . . assuming you run a 32 bit OS. It won't break the bank and you'll never look back. Go with Mushkin Blackline RAM . . . i assure you it is good stuff and VERY affordable.

5) Case: If you can fit a full size ATX case in your home, get it. WAY WAY easier to cool and way easier if you have to take it apart or fiddle around with components. More fans = more cooling = you parts will last longer.

6) Fan: Get a high quality CPU fan, not a stock intel fan. This is key. Artic Cooling makes a VERY affordable one that will fit in any ATX case.

PM me and I'd be happy to send you direct links to these products and put you in touch with Magic Micro. I have an MS in Computer Science and have built TONS of PCs in my life, as I'm sure MANY others have here as well. I didn't recommend the new stuff, and I didn't explain too in depth why I recommended what I recommended, but if you want the full explanation feel free to ask./

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
^damn awesome response man!

so you think i should use another website besides cyberpc??

yea i was wondering if i should get the 9800 over the 9500.

and when i was custom building i added upgraded fans and stuff like that. im the kinda guy who likes his toys LOADED!!

enter sandman

Also...you honestly need a better video card than the 9500GT. Seriously...look up the 9500GT and you will see. The bare minimum card that will run all current games on decent detail and resolution is the 250 GTS by Nvidia. They have a whole new series of gpu's coming out in a couple of months...so you might want to wait for them. Yes...I've had way better luck with Nvidia than with ATI. Right now 512mb memory would be just enough. I just got the Palit 250GTS 1gb from newegg and it is actually a very fast card for only $130. If you are new to pc game tech...then you will eventually realize the importance of the gpu. ALWAYS get at least a decent video card.

etinarcadiaego

Even in Arcadia I exist
Veteran
Ok. I took a look at the site you suggested, and your configuration there. First off your current config has an unnecessary expense in that your motherboard has a built in GPU (the ATI 3000) and you're adding a PCI-E card.

I can work with you on configuring a machine at the site you linked me too if you're set on ordering from there, or you can get the one built, just get a mobo with no onboard graphics, but honestly everything else looked great . . .

That said, every computer there had more than you need, and yet is still lacking in certain areas, they are all highend, no doubt, but not all are balanced. That said, I will recommend a Magic Micro setup, just to play devils advocate.

I am going to suggest a build for you, link you to every component I suggest on Newegg (an independent site where you can read reviews).

CPU: Intel E8400 @ 3.00Ghz - 2698 reviews - 97% 4+5/5 stars. LINK

CPU Fan: Geminii - 127 reviews 93% 4+5/5 stars LINK

Motherboard: Gigabyte EP45T-UD3LR - 97 reviews 75% 4+5/5 stars LINK - the only component i'm not in love with, not a factor if you're not going to overclock though as it's BIOS related.

RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline - 314 reviews 85% 4+5/5 stars LINK

Case: Raidmax Smilodon - 1,478 reviews 91% 4+5/5 stars LINK

PSU: Corsair 750 watt - 1,486 review 90% 4+5/5 stars. LINK

GPU: Nvdia 9800GT (sorry, no link, lol.)

Ok, so there's the core stuff. What does it mean?? If you were to buy from Magic Micro some of those components are selectable, like the CPU, CPU Fan, Case, Motherboard, and Power Supply. The RAM you'd need to purchase on your own and install separately, no big deal. The cost for that config is $797 + the RAM . . . so it's a little more $$, but it's also a great balance of seriously high end components each with excellent ratings and solid warranties.

Now, if you'd rather not go through the hassle of setting up that config, or you'd really rather purchase from the retailer you mentioned, I see no problems there. I would however suggest you save the $$ and get a non-SLI capable board unless you really think you'd go SLI down the road. Other than that I really liked your suggested setup with the sole exception of the case, there's nothing wrong with it, I just really like the case I linked you too. I like the power supply you selected, I like the GPU in the GTS 250, definitely stay away from the 9500, I like the CPU, you may want a diff mobo, but that's up to you. The hard drive looks good, RAM looks good, Corsair is good shit, no worries there.

Anyways, your setup looks good, just thought I'd add some other options. I'm going to bed shortly, but I'll check tomorrow when I get to work . . . about 6 1/2 hours from now.

Later!

Bobby Stainless

"Ill let you try my Wu-Tang style"
Veteran
I just built a machine with a cooler master case.

RAID configured 2 2T drives.

GeForce GTX 285

6 gigs of RAM expandable to 12

Corsair TX750W

Intel i7-920

Pioneer Bluray Burner

ASUS P6T deluxe V2 mother board

All hooked up to a 58" Viera Plasma 1080p....

I can play 6 poker games at once. Post here. Music. And rip torrents, without this mother breaking a sweat.

All from Newegg.

Last edited:

ZoSo

He doesn't need a 750 watt psu. That thing is a freakin beast with 60amps on the 12v rail. You don't need that much unless you're running multiple video cards.

This is what I have in my rig right now, and it's 30amps is plenty for any single card system (as long as you don't have a million hard drives, which he won't).

The 450 is much cheaper and its only drawback is he won't have the ability to go sli in the future, but in any case- a single, more powerful gpu is the better option. Also, when looking at power supplies you have to remember that the wattage rating is nearly meaningless. For us gamers, the amperage of the 12v rail is the most important figure, and you want at least 22-25 amps for most modern video cards.

The e8400 is a great processor for a budget gaming machine. You can overclock that thing to 3.6 without even upping the voltage.

The 9800 would be the bare minimum I would suggest. It'll be obsolete in no time...

D

DogBoy

I'd second the E8500, i use it in my gaming machine and it's perfectly good for gaming. I also like the 9800GTX/2 as my card. Its well priced now too. Aside from that etinarcadiaego is spot on with his advice. I'd say the 4gig of Ram is more required than optional though, skimp on the hard disk size etc by all means but board,cpu,gpu and RAM are the core of the gaming experience. If you have money left over invest in a fast drive but other than that everything is surplus.

hehe i have my lap top set up to my 52 inch LCD to play poker , usually 6-8 tables on pokerstars. But yea whatever graphic card u get id make sure it has a HDMI output/input. Its one of the best features on my new lappy. You can play games on ur big t.v , poker , but also u can download and watch movies on it.

SuperSizeMe

A foot without a sock...
Veteran
I just built a machine with a cooler master case.

RAID configured 2 2T drives.

GeForce GTX 285

Corsair TX750W

Intel i7-920

Pioneer Bluray Burner

ASUS P6T deluxe V2 mother board

All hooked up to a 58" Viera Plasma 1080p....

I can play 6 poker games at once. Post here. Music. And rip torrents, without this mother breaking a sweat.

All from Newegg.

Yep...most, if not all, of my components come from New Egg :joint:

Nice rig CT :yes:

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
Cool so dump the 9500 its obsolete?

I dont want to have a card that will be worthless in a year. Should i just get the GTS 250 with 512mb?

Thanks again Arcadia and everyone else, helps ALOT. these things are so confusing, so many different parts, etc.

and i DEF want HDMI output because i have plans to play on my 40inch LCD.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Hiya!

First off, buying a PC is easy to fuck up. As with growing your computer is only as fast as the weakest component, so for more gaming that's not ULTRA intensive and on a sub 30" display the key is a balance of good, reliable components, rather than breaking the bank with brand new gear.

Honestly, don't buy a pre-built. Go through Magic Micro, an online and Ebay retailer, and select the components yourself. They build it, they warranty it, all new parts, you even get the packaging. I have 3 PCs built by them plus 25+ clients with machines built by them. I'm not exaggerating, they are a pleasure to deal with, have US tech support, mail you new parts Overnight with 0 shipping cost to you, plus pre-pay the return shipping for parts you send back. Please please please give them a try, I can't say enough about this company.

1) Get 1GB card - the extra Gpu memory will be helpful in games with LOT of texture maps, like COD4 or Battlefield type stuff. Also, if you have the money consider a 9800GTX or better. Also, don't scrimp on the power supply - you don't need SLI for a lot of the current games, and to be honest it's not in your budget, so I'd say get a Corsair power supply.

2) Dual Core is plenty, and if you get an Intel I highly recommend the E8500 processor, it's outstanding. Quad core is great but clock speed is just as important in gaming, and the trade off is more cores, lower clock (for the same price). For "Some games" you'll go GREAT with the E8400 or E8500 processor.

3) Motherboard: This is also key. Again you don't need SLI, so don't worry about SLI (Scalable Link Interface) compatibilty . . . stay with something that has solid state capacitors and a great warranty. I like Gigabyte, as well as SOME of the ASUS boards. There are tons of great boards out there, your budget will narrow it down for you. GEt something with 1333Mhz Front side bus or better, don't worry, it'll be advertised:)

4) RAM: If you can spend the $$ on getting a decent MOBO, you should be able to tighten up your RAM timings in BIOS very easily without having to know much about computers. Again, for "Some games" I'd recommend 4GB . . . assuming you run a 32 bit OS. It won't break the bank and you'll never look back. Go with Mushkin Blackline RAM . . . i assure you it is good stuff and VERY affordable.

5) Case: If you can fit a full size ATX case in your home, get it. WAY WAY easier to cool and way easier if you have to take it apart or fiddle around with components. More fans = more cooling = you parts will last longer.

6) Fan: Get a high quality CPU fan, not a stock intel fan. This is key. Artic Cooling makes a VERY affordable one that will fit in any ATX case.

PM me and I'd be happy to send you direct links to these products and put you in touch with Magic Micro. I have an MS in Computer Science and have built TONS of PCs in my life, as I'm sure MANY others have here as well. I didn't recommend the new stuff, and I didn't explain too in depth why I recommended what I recommended, but if you want the full explanation feel free to ask./

:yeahthats

I've been building/fixing/using PC's for over 25 years and I'll second every word etinarcadiaego just said. Excellent advice :)
Except the part about Magic Micro... awesome to hear someone is doing a bang-up job.

Stay Safe! :tree:

TNTBudSticker

Veteran
Be careful...They have lots of complaints.Even I bought from them back in 2006 and used to live near them before and wanted to save $$ from the shipping.

Well they said yes and when i picked it up and brought it home and tried to play an online game Nascar2006 by papyrus.It froze during the game..I know much about computers,swapping memory,processors and such.Still froze...I took it back and they didnt want to replace the motherboard and wanted to downgrade it with a cheaper MB.They do not have DSL in shop so they couldn't find out what was wrong online during game playing.It just wouldn't play the game.

After some B.S. I even complained to the BBB Which is Better Business Bureau which resolves complaints if they don't answer to them they can have a bad mark on their business.And lose it.

Check out the BBB site and type it in and their address.

Well Nothing happened..Computer wasn't fixed...So I went to Buy the same MB in a box by itself brand new. Guess what? My computer works..no more freezing.

Methinks they get computers back and take them apart and use the same parts.

Maybe it's better..maybe it's not.Checkout the BBB site.

Someone used to have cyberpowersystemsucks.com site. but its not there anymore.

etinarcadiaego

Even in Arcadia I exist
Veteran
Lots of good posts here. Oh and others have mentioned, and I'll agree 750 watts is overkill, you only need 26 or so amps on the +12 rail for the 9800GT, the only reason I mentioned the 750 is because it's the only Corsair PSU Magic Micro offered with that config . . . but yah any PSU with the requisite number of +12 amps will do. :)

Be careful...They have lots of complaints.Even I bought from them back in 2006 and used to live near them before and wanted to save $$ from the shipping.

Well they said yes and when i picked it up and brought it home and tried to play an online game Nascar2006 by papyrus.It froze during the game..I know much about computers,swapping memory,processors and such.Still froze...I took it back and they didnt want to replace the motherboard and wanted to downgrade it with a cheaper MB.They do not have DSL in shop so they couldn't find out what was wrong online during game playing.It just wouldn't play the game.

After some B.S. I even complained to the BBB Which is Better Business Bureau which resolves complaints if they don't answer to them they can have a bad mark on their business.And lose it.

Check out the BBB site and type it in and their address.

Well Nothing happened..Computer wasn't fixed...So I went to Buy the same MB in a box by itself brand new. Guess what? My computer works..no more freezing.

Methinks they get computers back and take them apart and use the same parts.

Maybe it's better..maybe it's not.Checkout the BBB site.

Someone used to have cyberpowersystemsucks.com site. but its not there anymore.

Hey man!

You're not talking about Magic Micro computers are you? The builder I suggested? You're talking about the builder the OP had found?

Just want to be sure, as I know some "higher ups" at Magic Micro who may be able to help if that was the case. I don't work for Magic Micro, and have 0 affiliation with them, but over the course long a business relationship with them I have developed some helpful inside contacts.

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
what about this rig..
Gamer Ultra GTS
Nvidia 750SLI chipset with dual PCI slots
Windows Vista Premium
Corsair 4gb PC-6400 DDR2 Dual Channel Memory
1 TB 7200RPM SATA-II 3.0 GB<---(no idea what this is)
16mb cache ultra fast HD (??)
NVIDIA Geforce GTS 250 1gb DDR3
XG xtremecool silent and overclocking proof cooling system.

for 769 with dual core or 819 with triple core.

thats from cyberpower but after reading dudes review up there sounds like they do shady business! Even though they seeem to have good reviews online. il check out that magic site then i guess.

I will be playing lots of RTS and FPS games that have large maps so i want a kickass graphics card i might as well get the GTS 250 thats better than the 9800 right?

Latest posts

Latest posts