What's new

Sunleaves coir-need to be washed?

ddd

I got a bale of Sunleaves coir. I plan to mix it as part of a soil mix, maybe 20% coir.
Do I need to wash it first or can I use it straight off the bail? The packaging does not mention anything about washing.

jackiee

its always policy to wash most brands of coco,why dont you try growing just in coco ? you will be nicely suprised with the results ,they will be much better than a soil mix. stay lucky

I do agree with jackiee.

But, I have to add going from soil to coco requires a lot of reading to avoid some major suprises. Watering takes a little getting used to. I find if I screw up the initial stages in coco to build a good root mass that the whole grow never takes off.

Coco is a great media. Just study up a little first. There is plenty good info to be found.

ddd

I'm not going to go for straight coir because the pots will be outside, only watered 1-2xday and my nutes will be for soil. I figure it's a good admendment to a soil mix. I've never grown in straight coco before, I'll have to give it a try sometime.
I'd imaging coco would improve a peat based mix.

Growing veggies outside BTW:)

Mister Postman

The Plant Pervert
Veteran
Sunleaves brand coco is really salty stuff.. A few of the packages I've used/tested pinned my tds meter at 2000+ppm. It's salty and untreated coco, so it'd be a really good idea to flush it out well before using..

SmokeyTheBear

Pot Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i mixed sunleaves with a potting soil 50/50. how much do you guys think i need to run water through to get the salt out?

D

dunkybones

Sunleaves coco definitely needs to be flushed, preferably down the toilet. If that doesn't work, drill small holes in a bucket and run water through it until the runoff ec/ppm is tolerable, and do this BEFORE you mix it with anything else. If you don't have a meter, flush it with 4-5 times it's volume with water. Good luck.

no way, IMO

i dont waste my time "flushing" it. instead, "Pretreating" is the way to go. Use plenty of cal-mag and bloom nute. During the first week/first few times u water it, make sure u give it a bit of a flush with extra solution during each watering. make sure its dried out mostly as well with these first weeks. this is all thats needed.

heres sunleaves bricks in action transplant to 2 weeks later

Latest posts

Latest posts